View Full Version : Sharing a few simple techniques

Polymorphed
02-09-16, 08:44 PM
Hi, I hope I am able to help you by sharing some of my observations and simplifications of more advanced techniques into ADHD compatible methods.

Allow me introduce myself firstly - I'm a 33 year old husband and father to two boys; a 3 year old with ADHDc and a 5 year old with ADHDc/ASD. My wife and I are both ADHDc. I'm an INTJ on Myers Briggs, which makes me The Architect. My IPIP-NEO 300 question results (https://docs.google.com/document/d/16VRNVea6SXCWBcl_dV4TuuNthzn6WGYaBNIBicVMwtk/pub).

If you haven't done the IPIP personality test before, here is the link (http://www.personal.psu.edu/~j5j/IPIP/). The test results I've published are from the original 300 question version. The results don't differ greatly from the short version that I completed a month ago.

Regarding spirituality ... myself, you could have best defined as the most stubborn cynic/skeptic there ever was. With most ADDers this may lead to anxious thinking, which becomes a lifestyle of pessimism, caution and self-censoring. Growing up with anxiety/ADHD you may become hypervigilent and this has its pros and cons; you may learn a lot by being the fly on the wall and by never letting any detail pass you by unstudied. On the other hand, your confidence in your judgement, forged by keen observation over a lifetime, may ultimately prove your biggest blindfold and obstacle in attaining inner peace.

My personality test results become relevant at this point as it bares mentioning that I did the test some 3 months earlier and the results were very different then compared to now. The results were high in Narcissism and low in Conscientiousness, to start with. The basic techniques I'm going to share have helped me improve myself this dramatically so quickly.

I practiced yoga for a few years and could never ignore that inner commentary. Most of you can identify with that experience, right? I'm just going to share two main techniques to start with, as even these can be expanded upon quite a lot and less is more when setting out to learn new things.

Calming/Relaxation Technique 1:
Useful anywhere/anytime if you notice yourself becoming anxious, tense, dissociative, overwhelmed, etc. You can use this basic technique to lower your blood pressure and heart rate as well as dilate vascular systems, improving blood flow around your body and to your brain in particular. Even just 20 seconds can bring you back to yourself.

When you breathe out don't stop until your lungs are empty: this will require forcing the last quarter of their air reserves out mindfully. Clearing your lungs properly will naturally promote deeper inhalations and you will automatically begin relaxing.

Meditation Technique 1:
This is what I personally consider to be the most portable and objective (not linked to beliefs etc.) technique that draws upon mantra based methodology.

Close your eyes. As you breathe, listen to the sound of your in and out breath and imagine that they are each a unique word in a language you do not understand. The words may change or become less defined - no problem, just observe them. There's nothing to understand, the words have no meaning. If you notice yourself narrating or becoming distracted, allow those words to melt away effortlessly by returning your attention to the meaningless language of your breathing. The only way to speak the language with any repeatability is by allowing your body to relax and do the talking itself.

As your subjective lens of perception melts away your body will begin to relax, which can be anticipated as a sense of weightlessness, warmth, tingling and inner awareness (the mind can more readily sense the position of each area of the body and feel more connected).

After a while you may notice you are no longer breathing or that you are not hearing your breathing or it may fade and return. If you feel comfortable proceeding, simply return to the words of your breaths. A nervous energy can often be felt to surge towards the spine as the subjective mind disengages. It is fine to discharge the energy however you like whenever you like or to submit to its development and allow it to do as it pleases.

You are not trying to get anywhere. You are already there. Every moment you spend focusing your relaxation this way is like 10 moments of sleep in the effect it will have on your sense of restfulness.

Enjoy!