View Full Version : Have anyone of you took medicine only for College?

CasioCurious
02-10-16, 06:43 PM
Hello,

So, I'm thinking about going on medication again just to graduate; I have two more years left. Did anyone of you get medicated during College and got off of it afterwards successfully?

I just don't want to rely on medication for the rest of my life.:confused:

dvdnvwls
02-10-16, 10:46 PM
... I'm thinking about going on medication again just to graduate; I have two more years left. Did anyone of you get medicated during College and got off of it afterwards successfully?

I just don't want to rely on medication for the rest of my life.:confused:
What makes you think that if you need ADHD medication now you wouldn't need it for the rest of your life? And why would you not want to rely on it?

Cyllya
02-11-16, 12:12 AM
Well, if it's addiction you're worried about, I don't think it's a big concern. You will probably suffer withdrawal effects for a few days, which certainly sucks, but after you wait it out, you'll be back to the way you were if you hadn't used the medication in the first place.

CasioCurious
02-11-16, 10:21 AM
I'm sensitive when it comes to any kind of medication, especially stimulant. And because of my cultural background, I can't see myself taking ADHD medication forever. Other aspects of my life is as horrible as my college career, but it doesn't bother me as much because my whole family except my mom is scatter-brained also; they can't judge my personality and behavior, but they will judge me if they ever saw me taking psychiatric drugs.

So, I just want to take it for school and hopefully get a good a job that I like.

Fuzzy12
02-11-16, 11:17 AM
I'm sensitive when it comes to any kind of medication, especially stimulant. And because of my cultural background, I can't see myself taking ADHD medication forever. Other aspects of my life is as horrible as my college career, but it doesn't bother me as much because my whole family except my mom is scatter-brained also; they can't judge my personality and behavior, but they will judge me if they ever saw me taking psychiatric drugs.

So, I just want to take it for school and hopefully get a good a job that I like.

If you struggle graduating without meds you might struggle getting and holding down a decent job as well. You might manage but I'd highly recommend that you keep an open mind and don't make rules for yourself such as "I am only allowed to take meds to graduate".

Also, anyone who judges you for taking psychiatric drugs for a condition that you've been legally diagnosed with and are struggling doesn't deserve to have their judgment taken seriously.

Don't take meds if you don't want to or can't but don't let other people's ignorance stop you from doing something that helps your life.

Also, to answer your question, yes, you could theoretically take medication for the next 2 years and then stop. You can reduce the withdrawal effects by stopping gradually. Also, I'd recommend that in this time that you are taking medication that you pick up and implement behavioural strategies that could help you for the rest of your life..and an exercise routine!!