View Full Version : Any IT Techies in the house?

CasioCurious
02-10-16, 06:58 PM
Hello,

Are you guys passionate about your jobs? I ask because I'm in school for IT degree and I don't have experience in this field. What I'm afraid of is finding later on that I am not "passionate" about the field. Obviously everyone is different, but I wanted to see your thoughts since our brains are kind of wired the same way; or not.

Sorry, I'm just babbling. I don't know, I just have to be passionate about everything I do. What do you guys like about IT or dislike?

Thanks in Advance!

dvdnvwls
02-10-16, 10:48 PM
You don't have to be passionate about everything. In fact, you can't. There are simply too many things in life, to be passionate about every one of them.

If you like it and you are good at it and they will pay you, that sounds like a good deal to me. :)

Now, if you are finding that you really dislike the whole thing, that's different.

KarmanMonkey
02-11-16, 09:31 AM
I worked in IT for a few years, and for me it was soul sucking. Reflecting back, it wasn't because of the job per se, but the fact that I didn't see value in the work I was doing. IT is a broad spectrum of work, so specialize in something that interests/excites you.

If you're an environmentalist, maybe look into geoanylitics and develop software that tracks polution.

If you have an interest in health care, I'd love to see someone actually develop an information system for hospitals that isn't a piece of crap :)

If you're interested in design and form, look into becoming a web developer.

If you're fascinated by the abstract and complex, then perhaps pursuing a PhD is something that would suit.

Basically it's not the work that's the issue, but the purpose of the work, in my humble opinion.

CasioCurious
02-11-16, 10:27 AM
Basically it's not the work that's the issue, but the purpose of the work, in my humble opinion.

Exactly! I get what you mean. Now, I have to come up with a list on why I'm interested in Network/Security.

aeon
02-11-16, 10:38 PM
What do you guys like about IT

The machines. Creating clever solutions to problems that people either gave up on or didn’t know they had. Achieving increased/expanded functionality without spending money. Designing systems twice as fast for half the cost of the outside vendor quote.

or dislike?

The “managers” who never wanted to actually invest of themselves in the facts of the situation but always wanted to micro-manage and define that situation.

As well as those managers who always acted like I was picking the most expensive option. FFS, the stuff costs what it costs. If you think you can do better, have at it and source the stuff yourself. You have to pay to play. If you want a given level of performance, you pay a certain amount. If you are only willing to pay a lesser amount, adjust your expectations accordingly, because I will certainly be adjusting my implementations!

The managers who wanted me to spy on other employees by means of examining their network traffic and keystroke logs.

Mapping undocumented ad-hoc networking by untangling cables of all the same color in dusty drop-ceilings.

I worked in IT for a few years, and for me it was soul sucking. Reflecting back, it wasn't because of the job per se, but the fact that I didn't see value in the work I was doing.

It was soul sucking for me too, but it wasn’t because I didn’t see value in the work I was doing...I almost always did, across all kinds of challenges.

It was soul sucking because people with organizational power who lacked understanding were soul slayers who made things suck by saying “don’t you just press a button?” in a tone of voice that alternated between clueless and snide, as well as creating avoidable crises that resulted in me being at work at 3:45am on a Sunday despite being salary all because their designer dramas would cost me the farm if things weren’t seamless and humming by prime time.

Oh, and power outages are not something I can do jack about, and are not my problem after you wouldn’t pony up the coin for the UPS that would meet our needs.

And yes, if a box is mission-critical and needs to be live 24/7/365, the box and its constituent parts need to be redundant, and redundancy costs money...sometimes...twice as much! :doh:

---

I now do IT support in a low-stress, low-drama environment as a relatively small part of my overall job, and that’s OK.

I will never do IT full-time and/or salaried ever again, even if someone wants to pay me silly money, because it is inevitable that someone with power and unaddressed “issues” will make things suck, one way or the other, and there will be that morning when I wake up and I don’t want to go to work any more, and I don’t need that in my life.

Not again, not ever.

IT-jaded,
Ian

CasioCurious
02-12-16, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the input guys and gals, I appreciate it.

InvitroCanibal
02-13-16, 01:30 AM
If it is your passion then you don't need to ask anymore questions about whether it is what you should do. My fiancee is a programmer, and she works harder than anyone and is more passionate about it than anyone at her work. She had to quit recently though. She wasn't treated equally. 10 an hour isn't really a fair wage for someone doing wll the program development for a corporation of 1000 employees.

Any ways, here was the problem overall, when she declared she loved the work and it was her passion, and she happily did it, her boss started to use work to bring down her performance by scrapping projects she finished without explanation and taking away work even when it needed to be done.

The deal was that she was an "intern," for two years. The only intern. Doing massive amounts of work. She said to her boss that she couldn't work at 10 an hour and needed to be hired or she had to quit. She quit and 10 days later they put a job up.

She was devestated. Her reviews in spite of all of this were golden, her bosses boss really liked her a lot and that was another part of the problem.

My point is, if it is your passion, be firm about your work, but don't look so eager that you look like you'd do it for free. Someone will take you up on that "free" offer and you will be exploited.

Tech people, especially passionate ones can get exploited easily. Do a good job, be positive, but keep your mouth shut about your passion when you start your job.

that is my very sincere advice, but I absolutely encourage you to go for it

good luck

roflwaffle
02-14-16, 03:41 PM
I work with a large software system that automates information aggregation and processing, which is pretty cool. I've picked up invaluable experience, and to some degree of autonomy in how I do my own work. On the flip side, being a mature company that's offshored/offshores a lot of work, there aren't many opportunities for advancement, a ton of bike-shedding, and being an IT department in a larger company, the pay/benefits aren't as good as at pure tech companies. On the plus side, I feel like I have a good shot at getting a more engaging job with better pay as I cultivate skills at my current job and better myself on the development side at home. It might take another year or two, but I feel like I'm close.

sergey_msfwlscc
03-23-16, 11:49 AM
CasioCurious, you should think about what interests you. It's really hard to figure out sometimes. It was not until this year, 32, when I figured it all out. It took tremendous pain and trauma, but I survived and figured it out, but not before going down the wrong path in life -- wrong job, wrong "friends", wrong attitude, wrong priorities.

Think about what drives you. Because what drives you should be love. That is the only right answer. Love towards others, people whom you disagree with. There are a lot of broken people in IT, who do not know how to deal with others, and they are only comfortable controlling computers.

They, as many of us, grew up controlling computers and cell phones, designed to feed our reward systems and obey our every wish. The trouble with this is that we forget how to love and interact with real, imperfect people. We become idealistic and intransigent, demanding that our (deluded) needs be met, convinced that our way is the right way, that we know the objective Truth, and we treat people like objects, and demand that they pull themselves up by their hair and meet our standards.

I work in tech support. I found a really great job, that works for me, and my ADD, and I find it meaningful (it has to do with cloud computing and cancer genomics, so hopefully it will help cure cancer, not all cancer, but some cancers). I am very grateful for it. But this might not be the right kind of job for you.

To find what works for you, I suggest a tool that I used, called Self Directed Search. It costs $10, it's been around for a few decades I think, and it's incredibly useful and has been updated to keep up with the times. You can use the results to identify things that you like to do, and then use a database called O*NET OnLine (developed by US Dept of Labor) to find positions that might relate to your interests. I thought I might like to be a programmer but after taking the test it helped me realize that I am less interested in programming than in doing tech support. It wasn't a "light-bulb", it was a long process. But I had to triage three things (1) SDS results; (2) info about jobs that are good for AD(H)D folks; and (3) PayScale list of job meaningfulness (I wanted a meaningful job). I think this might be a good path for you too. Good luck in finding your path. Make sure you are not driven by image, by desire to win, to be better than others, to keep up with your friends or family. None of that matters. Find what you love. And once you do, other things will start falling into place. I was single for 32 years but after sorting out my issues I am engaged and will be getting married soon. It's all connected, and love is the most important thing. Love is the point: https://goo.gl/MWawYj

Good luck on your journey.