View Full Version : Changing things that were actually correct - appointments etc.

OhLookABunny
02-11-16, 02:23 PM
I do this so often and it's so frustrating and adds to my overall stress level. I mix up months, days of the week, numerals of the date, whatever. I also have color grapheme synesthesia which can be a cool thing to my artsy soul but can work either for me or against me when it comes to remembering. Because I am such a visual thinker and terrible at auditory memory, I project information onto a "screen" in my mind. I must write things down at first opportunity or they're gone. I also use all kinds of color coding.

Yet somehow I still start doubting myself and I'll go back and change something on my calendar because of the mixup in my brain. Like something that's on the 13th of March suddenly I'll think "Oh! The 13th! That's this Saturday!" :eek: and rush to put it on my calendar, then find out I "corrected" it mistakenly. :doh: It drives me nuts and makes me look like a ditz to other people.

Delphine
02-11-16, 06:57 PM
I have a version of this.... ie...an appointment for 17.00 might get translated by my brain to 7 o'clock.
I also have to write things down, or they're gone. Even when I say it out loud and make a point of remembering or linking it to something..... an hour later, it's all a hazy, foggy vagueness unless I write it down.

It does indeed make one look ditzy to other people. Recently happened with a calendar date that was important to a good friend of mine (she'd organised a big event and wanted me there.)

I remembered the date. We spoke quite often about how exciting it was and how much we were looking forward to it. Nonetheless, the day came and went without me linking up all the pieces.... In my head, it was happening the following weekend.

Even though she knows the challenges of my brain wiring, she still doesn't fully understand (although she's being tolerant).

Even when you write the date in the calendar, you have to remember to check the calendar!! It happens more when I feel overwhelmed.

OhLookABunny
02-11-16, 07:14 PM
I have a version of this.... ie...an appointment for 17.00 might get translated by my brain to 7 o'clock.
I also have to write things down, or they're gone. Even when I say it out loud and make a point of remembering or linking it to something..... an hour later, it's all a hazy, foggy vagueness unless I write it down.

It does indeed make one look ditzy to other people. Recently happened with a calendar date that was important to a good friend of mine (she'd organised a big event and wanted me there.)

I remembered the date. We spoke quite often about how exciting it was and how much we were looking forward to it. Nonetheless, the day came and went without me linking up all the pieces.... In my head, it was happening the following weekend.

Even though she knows the challenges of my brain wiring, she still doesn't fully understand (although she's being tolerant).

Even when you write the date in the calendar, you have to remember to check the calendar!! It happens more when I feel overwhelmed.

Yes, yes, yes and yes! That is exactly the kind of thing I mean! It is so aggravating, isn't it! Sometimes I know what got mixed up; a few times I'm just not sure. In either case it causes too much confusion, occasional drama, and interference with other things that also need remembering.

DJ Bill
02-11-16, 08:02 PM
I just had to call my Dr because I have an appointment that I can't figure out when it is. I swear we had said one date and he wrote a different date on the card. That is what my brain tells me anyhow.. Funny thing is I remember checking the date when we made the appointment and agreeing to it, checking the card for the right date before I put it in my pocket.

So add me to the me too list. I gotta have a calendar or large notes. I'm always thinking I hope the police never ask me what day it is as a sobriety check because I usually do not know unless I am on my computer.

Delphine
02-11-16, 09:21 PM
Yes, yes, yes and yes! That is exactly the kind of thing I mean! It is so aggravating, isn't it! Sometimes I know what got mixed up; a few times I'm just not sure. In either case it causes too much confusion, occasional drama, and interference with other things that also need remembering.

Yes.... incredibly aggravating! One thing to watch out for here is when people cop that you're the wild card, and will blame you for mismatches even at those times when you know you got it right! (I've had some of that anyway).

Delphine
02-11-16, 09:34 PM
......I hope the police never ask me what day it is as a sobriety check because I usually do not know unless I am on my computer.

:) :) :) I had an experience some years ago when I got mugged and police got me to look through a photo book to identify the culprits....

.... I kinda half-indicated two guys... couldn't be sure. They looked like the culprits, but I couldn't confirm. Police eventually got exasperated, told me the two guys I indicated were the already-imprisoned brothers and lookalikes of the two culprits..... whose photos were staring me in the face, but I couldn't 100% say for sure.

I couldn't confirm with absolute certainty (although I guessed who they were trying to point me towards.) But not wanting to point at people I wasn't 100% sure of.. I declined to press the matter.

Could never quite decide if I made the right decision or not. Didn't want to blame an innocent (even if a repeated offender.)

Still, I always hope I didn't allow others to get mugged just because of my fuzzy brain wiring. Always feel off about that.

Jayfer
02-12-16, 03:58 PM
I'm sure I would have the same problem, Delphine! I have problems translating faces to pictures anyway, and then under the stress of having been mugged, I can see myself completely unable to match pictures to the perpetrator.

OhLookABunny
02-13-16, 01:45 AM
Yes, I had a similar experience when thieves got into my boss's and my purses some years back. The store had been crowded, and the office had no lock on the door. We had picked up on some odd vibes from a "customer" and thought we remembered her appearance but picked the wrong mugshots. From what I understand it's pretty common to misidentify a suspect's looks or clothing, even for non-ADD witnesses. At least after the incident my boss conceded the point I had been pressing for some time, namely that we needed to a lock on the office door!

stef
02-13-16, 03:36 AM
I do this so often and it's so frustrating and adds to my overall stress level. I mix up months, days of the week, numerals of the date, whatever. I also have color grapheme synesthesia which can be a cool thing to my artsy soul but can work either for me or against me when it comes to remembering. Because I am such a visual thinker and terrible at auditory memory, I project information onto a "screen" in my mind. I must write things down at first opportunity or they're gone. I also use all kinds of color coding.

omg exactly, exactly!
i have the screen thing too. and i actually have an excellent visual memory but sometimes i remember false information.
my biggest problem at work is having to organise meetings...