View Full Version : Help requesting an application fee waiver due to condition

betterdays
02-12-16, 04:57 PM
I'm in a tough financial position as a grad student living off student loans and don't have the money to pay for a licensing fee $2,500 for an exam that would enable me to obtain employment I am seeking. They are asking me and my doctor to provide a letter for the request, my doctor is leaving it up to me. Any idea on how to word such a request due to ADHD/Anxiety? Thanks

dvdnvwls
02-12-16, 05:46 PM
I think the main thing a licensing organization would look for is exactly why the conditions you're telling them about should make a difference. Before you start on the actual letter, I suggest you make a list of problems that ADHD and anxiety cause, that make it harder for you to come up with this licensing fee, compared to the average person's problems. Write every problem you can think of that the average person doesn't have, or that the average person has a lot less of. Then use the highlights (low-lights?) of that list when you're composing your letter.

I think what you want to avoid is giving them the opportunity to say "Yeah, but everyone has the same problem with that."

namazu
02-12-16, 05:47 PM
Hi betterdays, and welcome to ADDF.

Fee waivers are generally based on dire financial circumstances, so you will probably want to focus on the financial impact of your ADHD/anxiety.

If your disability precludes you from working while in school, or if you have extra expenses that might not be reflected in the financial documentation you need to provide (for example, a big chunk of your income goes to paying for medical stuff), those might be worthwhile things to mention.