View Full Version : Just trying to understand

xAtaXx
02-13-16, 02:02 PM
My current medicines I am prescribed and take daily are:

54 mg Concerta
20 mg Celexa
50 mg Pristiq

I am also in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy with a therapist.

Yesterday (2/12/15) I had a panic attack at work.

Heart Rate: 123
B/P: 143/82

I've had them in past but they are around once or twice a month.

I haven't been feeling good lately with my current medicine combination and have been feeling the following for the last 2 weeks:

Lacking empathy, suicidal thoughts, agitated, angry, drowsy, nauseous/upset stomach, unfocused, depressed, anxiety/nervousness especially at night, can't fall asleep it takes me roughly 1.5 to 2 hours.

Now if I bring this up with my doctor (I have an appt. on Tuesday) I wanted to know what he would think. I've been on adderall in the past but he wouldn't prescribe it with me because he has had 2 patients in the past that have abused it. I've never abused any medicine and have a clean record. I don't know if I should bring up the topic again and also I was wondering if I do have panic attacks should I be on a benzo medication like xanax or what? I'm just confused and want to feel better.

midnightstar
02-13-16, 06:59 PM
The doctor should listen to you and prescribe the medication you need, just because others have abused medication doesn't mean you will abuse it.

Did you bring this up with the doctor at your last appointment?

:grouphug:

Lunacie
02-13-16, 07:57 PM
I assume you're talking about a GP, not a psychiatrist?

GP's are often leery of prescribing meds for mental health.

A psychiatrist is more familiar with the disorders and the meds.

Ask for a referral to a psychiatrist.

xAtaXx
02-13-16, 09:07 PM
The doctor should listen to you and prescribe the medication you need, just because others have abused medication doesn't mean you will abuse it.

Did you bring this up with the doctor at your last appointment?

:grouphug:

I brought it up with the doctor about a month and a half after I met him when he orginally declined. I told him that I've been on adderall before and have had two other tests done with a psychiatrist and a family doctor who both diagnosed me with add. It really helps me and he said he can't because two other patients have abused it and he doesn't want to lose his license. I thought to myself ok, maybe I'll give it a fair shot and try other medications and see how they work for me. So he first would only put me on a non-stimulant (which was straterra) until I get a full 3 hour testing done (like an IQ test). It took a total of two months to get the testing done, get the results and see him again. The test resulted in me having add. So long story short I have now been on straterra, vyvanse, and now concerta. All of these now after giving them a fair shot do not help my add symptoms as well if at all compared to adderall. What should I do next? I see him on Tuesday. Should I ask again?

xAtaXx
02-13-16, 09:10 PM
I assume you're talking about a GP, not a psychiatrist?

GP's are often leery of prescribing meds for mental health.

A psychiatrist is more familiar with the disorders and the meds.

Ask for a referral to a psychiatrist.

He is a psychiatrist.

Lunacie
02-13-16, 11:48 PM
I brought it up with the doctor about a month and a half after I met him when he orginally declined. I told him that I've been on adderall before and have had two other tests done with a psychiatrist and a family doctor who both diagnosed me with add. It really helps me and he said he can't because two other patients have abused it and he doesn't want to lose his license. I thought to myself ok, maybe I'll give it a fair shot and try other medications and see how they work for me. So he first would only put me on a non-stimulant (which was straterra) until I get a full 3 hour testing done (like an IQ test). It took a total of two months to get the testing done, get the results and see him again. The test resulted in me having add. So long story short I have now been on straterra, vyvanse, and now concerta. All of these now after giving them a fair shot do not help my add symptoms as well if at all compared to adderall. What should I do next? I see him on Tuesday. Should I ask again?

Yes, ask him again. It's his license at state, but it's your life at stake.

If he can't prescribe the med that works best for you, you may have to change doctors.

Jiberish
04-25-16, 06:56 AM
Hm....I personally have horrible reactions to about 98% of SSRIs, ive tried them all. The most recent got me kicked out of a neurologists office for throwing a fit, well not really, but lets just say their were some colorful words, and it wasnt like me. They can be very hard, and very real. It sounds from what you said, that the only thing that has changed recently was your meds, and with it your mood. This correlation might be a red flag to me. Any time I had suicidal Ideology, I was done. That was kind of my red flag.

I struggle with the same thing, drs for some reason want to fix what isnt broken. My dr took me off clonazepam, which ive been on for 3 years. she dropped me off it which put me in the ER. I was ****** because I had never abused it. Just used it PRN, and it helped. It was unsafe what she did, and after this back surgery I will be getting a new Dr.

I always go with the saying if it aint broken, why fix it. I would get a new DR, or perhaps see if something along the lines of vyvanse, or longer effect adderall XR would help. Anyone can abuse anything, but if he/she has their reasons not to, they generally will not.

B

Jiberish
04-25-16, 06:57 AM
just realized your on Vyvanse, my bad.......