View Full Version : I tend to stay at a job for a minimum of three years before I "lose interest"

Lloyd_
02-13-16, 04:53 PM
After 3 years I get burnt out at that particular job regardless what type of career field it is.

The relationship between me and the employer turns into a dysfunctional marriage of some sorts because when you're working for somebody after a few years the employer tends to a liking towards ya and by then I'm sick of them and tend to not give a **** due to my various workplace grievances.

Grievances which most other co workers have acted on my getting another job and moving on while I tend to stick it out much longer due to being slow to anger.

Anyone else here tend to stick around at a job for awhile that you eventually can't stand?

Pilgrim
02-14-16, 08:59 AM
Yeah, I tend to try to find the escape hatch a bit quicker now for the simple expedient that people talk and I want my reputation to have no noticable blemishes.

I think people like to gossip about the negatives, but I think a beauty of bosses. All they care about is the bottom line.

roflwaffle
02-14-16, 03:16 PM
I do that too. The time period I stay is a function of how much I like/need the job in terms of what I'm doing, where I think I'm going, and my relationship with my co-workers, but I really need novel challenges that push me to stay in a particular position.

acdc01
02-15-16, 05:10 PM
Yes, I tend to stick around no matter how much I hate the job simply cause I can't get myself to apply for other jobs.

My old company told me that the typical happiness curve for employees is that you like a job in the beginning, be least happy with it at the 2-3 year mark and then start liking it again gradually after the 3 year mark IF a job is actually not bad but just has the standard crap pretty much every company has. Though my company was using that info to persuade us into not quitting, I do believe it's true regardless of their motives for sharing with us that info.

Have you stuck around for say 6 years on a job that's actually decent? I wonder if you would be satisfied enough with a job if you did that (though it's probably harder since we have ADHD).

TheDreamer
02-16-16, 03:36 AM
Definitely me. I also have social anxiety which contributes to it, because I dream up all kinds of difficulties that could arise at a new workplace. Easier to stay put then and know what I've got to deal with. Not good in the long run for personal growth though.

I wouldn't say 3 years though, more like half a year to a year for me.

WheresMyMind
02-16-16, 02:04 PM
Congrats. I've rarely found anything, job or otherwise, interesting for more than the first 2-5 times I did it.

WMM