View Full Version : Natural treatment using inositol anyone tried?

JenineS
02-15-16, 02:58 AM
Hi my alternative dr suggested we use a product called I-MagT made by a lab called Sabre Sciences. It's inositol and magnesium threonate. I have a very emotional and active 7 year old that was dignised with ADD/ADHD when she was 5. I'm a but leary to try it but I have read inositol is very safe and can do a lot to balance moods. Has anyone here ever heard of this product or used it?

dvdnvwls
02-15-16, 02:53 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I've never heard of that product or used it.

ADHD includes a deficit in the body's internal ability to regulate moods. A drug that's supposed to work for most people as a mood balancer might not have enough of an effect on someone with ADHD, because in us it seems quite possible that these regulatory functions may be to some extent missing, not just out of balance - and you can't chemically regulate a function that isn't even there.

In general, alternative practitioners have very very little of any worth to offer to people with ADHD. Conventional medicine and significant lifestyle changes make a real difference, and alternative therapies unfortunately just don't.

There has been some preliminary but promising evidence that omega-3 fish oil can make a positive difference for some people with ADHD - that would certainly be worth a try. (The plant-based omega-3 substitutes are not helpful.)

sarahsweets
02-15-16, 07:37 PM
Is this alternative doctor an actual medical doctor?

dvdnvwls
02-15-16, 10:07 PM
Is this alternative doctor an actual medical doctor?
(IMO it hardly matters in this particular situation, since an actual medical doctor who decides to voluntarily limit their practice to ineffective treatments is irresponsible and not worth going to, but I guess it's a legitimate question.)

BellaVita
02-16-16, 12:47 AM
I love the phrase "Alternative medicine that works is called medicine." :)

dvdnvwls
02-16-16, 01:54 AM
I love the phrase "Alternative medicine that works is called medicine." :)
I like it too, but I think a lot of people don't get the significance (namely, that alternative medicine that doesn't work is the only thing that continues to be called "alternative medicine").

sarahsweets
02-16-16, 04:46 AM
(IMO it hardly matters in this particular situation, since an actual medical doctor who decides to voluntarily limit their practice to ineffective treatments is irresponsible and not worth going to, but I guess it's a legitimate question.)

It was more of a rhetorical question that I meant to follow up with a statement that alternative and doctor dont usually belong in the same sentence.