View Full Version : Modafinil anyone?

Optimist25
02-15-16, 03:00 AM
Anyone with inattentive ADD/SCT been prescribed Modafinil?

I get some help from Vyvanse/Adderall but I've always felt they don't stimulate the part of the brain that is really in need of stimulation.
To me, it feels like something else, something deeper or more fundamental is under-stimulated and that Vyvanse/Adderall only help by making a "normal" functioning part of my brain work harder to compensate for the fundamental under-stimulation that exists elsewhere. To be honest, since the "honeymoon" phase ended (general increased energy), Vyvanse/Adderall provide very marginal benefits. It's becoming increasingly clear that increased ability to focus is not what I really need help with (and can at times be counter-productive).

I've been thinking that perhaps the part of the brain associated with sleep is where the fundamental issue lies. I've suspected this in the past and made two threads about it - one thread about a new drug for treating hypersomnia and another thread about delayed sleep phase syndrome. I'm always mentally and physically dull/lethargic in the morning/early afternoon and more alert/active in the late afternoon/evenings/nights (regardless of when I take Vyvanse/Adderall). Feels like the parking brake is on in my brain and body for the first couple hours of every day and that Vyvanse/Adderall just give it more gas rather than releasing the parking brake (analogy used by a sleep expert on hypersomnia at Emory).

Anyways, I have an appointment on Tuesday and will be asking my new (and actually competent) psychiatrist about Modafinil and whether or not it would be more "on-target" than Vyvanse/Adderall. I'd just like to have to have some feedback from those with first hand experience as well. thanks!

sarahsweets
02-15-16, 08:04 PM
My husband has adhd and narcolepsy and takes provigil. It helps tremendously.

InformedPill
02-15-16, 08:19 PM
Modafinil is a great drug when your clock and energy levels are in sync. The problem occurs when you're energy is used up and you feel mentally fatigued and ready to go to sleep, you can't because you're wakefulness center is still stimulated, yet your focus and energy are gone - and that is a weird and pretty horrible feeling to have and there isn't much you can do until the effect of the drug runs out (without other medication at least). With other stimulants such as amphetamines, you are energized until there effects run out and you can fall asleep without issue after that, or depending on your tolerance even before.

Strutsen
03-19-16, 10:18 AM
Looking for more input about modafinil(privigil)!

I'm trying to convince my doctor since I have extreme lethargy from my disorders + sleep apnea. It's strange that they rather put me on the sick-list(no sure about spelling) instead of trying out meds that will make me more productive and reduce symptoms.

sarahsweets
03-22-16, 04:36 AM
Looking for more input about modafinil(privigil)!

I'm trying to convince my doctor since I have extreme lethargy from my disorders + sleep apnea. It's strange that they rather put me on the sick-list(no sure about spelling) instead of trying out meds that will make me more productive and reduce symptoms.

Have you had a sleep study done to explore your sleep apnea?

Strutsen
03-22-16, 08:15 AM
Have you had a sleep study done to explore your sleep apnea?

Not in a lab but with some sort of watch which tracked my sleeping during the nights. My apnea is fine but I'm still never rested. My sleep doctor told me that modafinil would be suitable for me since I got adhd BUT I'm not sure my adhd-doc will approve since they have "their own" treatments and here in Sweden its very rare outside narcolepsy.

Billy79
07-15-16, 05:35 PM
bumping this thread, because Im wondering about Modafinil myself. The more I read about it I find it strange that it isn't any more ADD'ers with some experiences of it?

sarahsweets
07-17-16, 05:48 AM
bumping this thread, because Im wondering about Modafinil myself. The more I read about it I find it strange that it isn't any more ADD'ers with some experiences of it?

Well I think the one of the reasons is because years ago it was marketed as an off label mediation to treat adhd. Some person had developed a rare unrelated case of Stevenson Johnson syndrome and Cephlon got nailed so its only prescribed for narcolepsy now. I am sure there is a work around now that its gone generic now.

mrh235
07-20-16, 01:00 PM
Well I think the one of the reasons is because years ago it was marketed as an off label mediation to treat adhd. Some person had developed a rare unrelated case of Stevenson Johnson syndrome and Cephlon got nailed so its only prescribed for narcolepsy now. I am sure there is a work around now that its gone generic now.

:goodpost: That's exactly what my doctor mentioned when he wanted me to try it. It's so damn expensive, even generic, and insurance won't cover it for ADHD, so I had to say no. It also seems like it'd be less effective than other ADHD medicines, especially amphetamine-based ones.

maysarieltiff
07-27-16, 12:19 AM
I asked for it. I am on Nuvigil 150mg and it has done nothing for me. This is in addition to 30mg dextroamphetamine spansules and 20mg IR dextroamphetamine, AND wellbutrin.

I believe that it will be beneficial to some, however, for me, it has not been, just like other medications for my ADD. :(

PS. My insurance covered it, but it was the generic which has a horrible taste just trying to swallow it lol.

sarahsweets
07-27-16, 10:08 AM
I asked for it. I am on Nuvigil 150mg and it has done nothing for me. This is in addition to 30mg dextroamphetamine spansules and 20mg IR dextroamphetamine, AND wellbutrin.

I believe that it will be beneficial to some, however, for me, it has not been, just like other medications for my ADD. :(

PS. My insurance covered it, but it was the generic which has a horrible taste just trying to swallow it lol.

Do you suffer from daytime sleepiness or narcolepsy? Whats the nuvigil prescribed for?

maysarieltiff
07-28-16, 12:24 AM
Do you suffer from daytime sleepiness or narcolepsy? Whats the nuvigil prescribed for?

I asked my doctor about it, suggesting it might help with the alertness and struggle I have with motivation. He was open to me trying it, so I have and this is the second month on the initial dose of 150mg. Perhaps going to the 250mg would help, but other than that, I do not get an increase in alertrness or feel more awake or motivated.

I think he was open to the suggestion because, as he told me, I don't know what else I can do for you to alleviate your symptoms. This medication is as good as it gets. "dextroamphetamine"

Edit: Yes I struggle with daytime sleepiness. Mostly, I am sure, because I do not sleep well at night. :) I can fall asleep, but I wake up around 1-2am and cannot for the life of me get back to sleep. My son wakes me up around 7am, and THEN, I could fall back asleep but what good does that do me? lol.

sarahsweets
07-28-16, 04:20 AM
I asked my doctor about it, suggesting it might help with the alertness and struggle I have with motivation. He was open to me trying it, so I have and this is the second month on the initial dose of 150mg. Perhaps going to the 250mg would help, but other than that, I do not get an increase in alertrness or feel more awake or motivated.

I think he was open to the suggestion because, as he told me, I don't know what else I can do for you to alleviate your symptoms. This medication is as good as it gets. "dextroamphetamine"

Edit: Yes I struggle with daytime sleepiness. Mostly, I am sure, because I do not sleep well at night. :) I can fall asleep, but I wake up around 1-2am and cannot for the life of me get back to sleep. My son wakes me up around 7am, and THEN, I could fall back asleep but what good does that do me? lol.

A few things come to mind...first I recommend getting a sleep study. There are all kind of sleep issues major and minor that can contribute to what you experience. Its not just the major issues like narcolepsy, there are many other nuances that can happen.

Have you heard of or taken provigil? Basically Nuvigil is similar to provigil except that its missing one of the isomers that are in provigil an works a bit differently. Its also newer so there is no generic ( I dont think). My husband has been on provigil for narcolepsy for about 15 years. They only came out with a generic about 2 years ago so there were times we couldnt afford it when the insurance didnt cover it. (I believe I heard at one point it would have been thousands a month!)
IMO provigil works better, has more long term science to back it up and would be more beneficial for those with adhd and other sleep issues.
Nuvigil is supposed to ne 'bigger n' better' than provigil but its interesting that its become so popular right around the time that provigil went generic....

Anyway, I have had a sleep study done as well because of how I suffered with sever insomnia. I can stress enough how important it is to have that checked out.
I can always share more about that if your interested.
I would consider the provigil if the nuvigil isnt doing it for you.

Fuzzy12
07-28-16, 05:36 AM
I found modafinil helped a lot with alertness and motivation and a little with focus. It's definitely worth a shot if you can't take stimulants for some reason.

maysarieltiff
07-30-16, 12:22 AM
A few things come to mind...first I recommend getting a sleep study. There are all kind of sleep issues major and minor that can contribute to what you experience. Its not just the major issues like narcolepsy, there are many other nuances that can happen.

Have you heard of or taken provigil? Basically Nuvigil is similar to provigil except that its missing one of the isomers that are in provigil an works a bit differently. Its also newer so there is no generic ( I dont think). My husband has been on provigil for narcolepsy for about 15 years. They only came out with a generic about 2 years ago so there were times we couldnt afford it when the insurance didnt cover it. (I believe I heard at one point it would have been thousands a month!)
IMO provigil works better, has more long term science to back it up and would be more beneficial for those with adhd and other sleep issues.
Nuvigil is supposed to ne 'bigger n' better' than provigil but its interesting that its become so popular right around the time that provigil went generic....

Anyway, I have had a sleep study done as well because of how I suffered with sever insomnia. I can stress enough how important it is to have that checked out.
I can always share more about that if your interested.
I would consider the provigil if the nuvigil isnt doing it for you.

I would like to know about the sleep study! I believe my dr gave me modanifil because he said provigil is not prescribed much anymore, and I think he thought there was no generic. He was surprised my insurance paid for the generic modanafil. I do not remember clearly though, my short term memory isn't the best and I see him every month.

I was not aware it was missing one of the isomers. I love chemistry. :)

I will definitely ask him about it, though. They can always do a pre-auth to try and get it approved, after it is denied, and provide documentation that I need it But if there is a generic, there should not be any issue, as I am on generic modanafil now.

Does it help him stay more alert? Awake? Does it do anything for attention or memory?

Thanks!

FogNoggin
11-11-16, 04:02 PM
Trying it right now, got up around 12:00, took 100mg's, 2.5 hours later 100mg's more as the first dose didn't do much.
Now it's 3:44, and I feel it a bit more tension in the head, but not much--yet.

I don't feel hugely motivated, but I did not get enough sleep the last few days, and I drank last night, so woke up, after another crap nights sleep, with a bit of a hangover and very mentally blunted.

So, my head is doing the 'snap crackle pop' thing, if anyone knows what I mean, when a change in mental state is about to happen.

Considering how I felt when I got up, and cautiously only had 2 cups of coffee instead of four, I feel pretty good considering how I could have felt today.

I feel like some sort of a blade coming into my head to cut through the effects of 'crappy morning beer-head', too early to tell how that is going.

A better opinion is needed by me with no hang-over and a better night's sleep.
But I will update..........

And another thing, my adenoids(?) those glands under the chin, one of them feels tense and enlarged, but that could be unrelated, a few of my cats have colds, so.....maybe I have a Kitty Cold?

meow -------- :eek:

FogNoggin
11-11-16, 05:03 PM
One of my lymph nodes, not adenoids.

My head feeling reminds me of my wellbutrin days, where you would feel that 'tension' as opposed to mental lethargy.
It's turned a crappy day into a happy day.

But I don't quite feel up to flying any F-16's today, well not yet.

FogNoggin
11-12-16, 10:43 AM
Well, that was a bust, nothing to crow over, I even went to bed early because I couldn't stay awake.
But was going on a few nights bad sleep, had consumed intoxicants prior and during, so if anything worked, it is as a result of a miracle.

Thank you Jebus.

I always put products through the most rigorous of trials it seems.

Yet, the product certainly tried.

So today, 200mg's down the hatch, instead of two 100mg's spread out over a few hours.

I had a good night sleep, and no hangover, also didn't put any hot chocolate powder in my coffee (thinking the theobromides or whatever those coffee chems are may effect the modafinil.

So, if I don't experience the results I desire....;
A) the product is bunk.
B) my ADD is resistant to it

20thcenturyfox
11-12-16, 02:08 PM
I found modafinil helped a lot with alertness and motivation and a little with focus. It's definitely worth a shot if you can't take stimulants for some reason.

I tried it for exactly this--alertness and motivation--and noticed no effect at all. Adderall and Vyvanse work better. Stimulants + Strattera work best so far.

FogNoggin
11-12-16, 05:41 PM
I find, even though still too early to tell, that it made my ADD into ADHD.

More alertness, but I still don't feel focused 100%, but then again I wasn't in any situation today that demanded a lot of focus.

Might be superb with a bit of stimulant, but I don't know enough what is safe or not.

But if I can feel alert and awake for the times I take modafinil, that can at least help me accomplish a bit more, and focus will happen more frequently.

I am hoping it's the keys to the 'couch lock'.

Testing continues...................

NateDEEzy
11-14-16, 09:37 AM
Are you taking any other meds? Some meds can cancel out other meds results. I just read last night that Prozac can cancel out the effect of Adderall.

georgemit
12-13-16, 03:47 PM
Hi, have ADD-PI and don't respond at all to Ritalin/Concerta.

Stimulants are not available in the country. (Greece)

As I have lethargy and sleepiness I am prescribed Modafinil
and it helps with these two problems but has no effect on focus.

George