View Full Version : zoodles

acdc01
02-15-16, 06:28 PM
I'm about to buy a spiralizer so I can make zoodles. I saw one that said it can juice too though I'm thinking it's only for fruit juices, not anything heavy duty like vegetables (if there were one, that'd be nice to find).

Any recommendations on what kind of spiralizer to buy? Seems there are sideways ones, push down ones, etc. Want something easy to use and extremely easy to clean. Also, I'm highly accident prone. Assume it's hard to cut your finger off with these things so it's not a concern but if it is with some of these spiralizers than safety is important.

Also, do zoodles hold up well in the freezer and do they really taste like pasta? Tried to find a restaurant with them so I could test out zoodles before buying the spiralizer but no luck yet.

Thanks.

EDIT: I did read about the blanching process for freezing zucchini noodles but what I really want to do is just make the zoodle pasta and sauce all at once and then freeze precooked meals all in one container. Is that not going to work?

Unmanagable
02-15-16, 07:31 PM
I have a Spirooli from bed, bath , and beyond. I tried the Vegetti hand held one, but to make enough for a family of four, I just went with the table top version and gave mom the hand held one.

Zucchini is mostly water and when you thaw it, it will be mushy and runny. It's good to freeze if you plan to just bake with it, but I wouldn't suggest freezing if you wish for it to maintain a pasta-like consistency.

The blades and the rest of the spirooli are very easy to clean and it's a breeze to use. There will be a leftover core of zucchini each time. You could freeze those to add to soups, hummus, veggie broth, etc.

I use a dish washing brush with a handle to lessen the chances of getting sliced by anything. Cleaning it immediately after use is always a good idea so nothing dries onto the blades.

I would just make the zoodles the night before, put them in a covered bowl with a paper towel on the bottom of it to absorb moisture, and add them to the sauce when it thaws, if that's an option.

They're much better fresh, in my opinion, and after baking with a lot of frozen zucchini through the years, I can't imagine they'd freeze well. But then again, I've not tried blanching and freezing them with a sauce. Maybe try a small portion just to test.

Zucchini doesn't really have a taste, and neither does the pasta I remember eating, so I guess they do sort of taste the same. It takes on the flavor of the sauce. The consistency will be a bit on the crunchy side which is a little different than the soft texture of pasta, especially overcooked pasta, as I typically was used to. lol

I tried to encourage a local Italian restaurant owner to consider offering zoodles as a pasta option for customers avoiding pasta, and explained how many folks are turning to more mindful and healthy eating, and that she could be a trend setter, but she wasn't interested in participating in the discussion.

acdc01
02-16-16, 08:54 AM
Thanks unmanageable. Very helpful as always. Bummer zuchinni doesn't freeze well. I will try a small freeze test though just to see what happens.

I do make a 2 night meal that I don't freeze so the zuchinni pasta can still work for that.

I wish more people were into talking and trying out healthy foods that way this part of the forum wasn't so dead.

aeon
02-16-16, 09:19 AM
I use the Paderno World Cuisine slicer...the #1 mandoline/slicer on ’zon. ;)

Solid in use, and certainly easy to clean...but yeah, clean it right after use to make it as easy as possible.

My experience is that zucchini works when fresh, period.

That said, better success can be had with a good salad spinner to remove water from any wet vegetable.

And for sure, don’t limit yourself to zucchini...there are other vegetables to try for this purpose.

The nature of the device and the blade is always going to result in a wetter end product than you would get with a good knife, which can give you drip-free dicing and whatnot, but also requires zen master skills to cut good spirals. :p

Cheers,
Ian

Unmanagable
02-16-16, 09:32 AM
The salad spinner is my absolute favorite for greens, for sure. My farmer friends have some mega spinners made out of old washing machine tubs. Talk about bada**ery. :)

However, I find with the zucchini and cucumber noodles, especially, a salad spinner doesn't do the job as well. I find it helps more to use a dish towel to dab and press the moisture out right before serving. If you let it stand too long before eating, the moisture seeps out and it becomes quite watery and messy(ier).

aeon
02-16-16, 05:13 PM
I suppose that depends on the salad spinner in question.

I am well familiar with the dab and press technique.

My salad spinner does a much better job, and doesn’t crush anything.

Cheers,
Ian

stef
02-16-16, 05:58 PM
I'd make them just cause they're clalled "zoodles" :)

Little Missy
02-16-16, 06:01 PM
I'd make them just cause they're clalled "zoodles" :)

That there coupled with that prissy-prudishly-coy Emma Peel avatar is a:goodpost: scream!!

ginniebean
02-16-16, 06:59 PM
I have two spiralizers and one that looks like a veggie peeler. The peeler one is really good!

I don't think zucchini freezes well at all becauae it is so filled with water.

Unmanagable
02-16-16, 10:08 PM
I suppose that depends on the salad spinner in question.

I am well familiar with the dab and press technique.

My salad spinner does a much better job, and doesn’t crush anything.

Cheers,
Ian

Please do share your variety of spinner, if you don't mind. Nothing gets crushed in the one I have, either, it just doesn't do nearly as good a job on getting the moisture out of zoodles and coodles as well as the old school towel method. But I'm intrigued to know there may be a "cadillac version" I overlooked when purchasing one.

stef
02-17-16, 04:31 AM
In all seriousness i dont have much room for any more kitchen utensils but I am definitely going to get out the salad spinner I have, and make more things with fresh zucchini (and fresh vegetables in general). I use a lot of frozen organic at the moment.

acdc01
02-17-16, 08:14 AM
In all seriousness i dont have much room for any more kitchen utensils but I am definitely going to get out the salad spinner I have, and make more things with fresh zucchini (and fresh vegetables in general). I use a lot of frozen organic at the moment.

Yeah me too. I'm going to have to skip the salad spinner cause I have a tiny kitchen with limited space. Can't believe how many mini-appliances I have now. Rice cooker, toaster oven, crock pot, my sister's blender, steamer, and now soon to be spiralizer.

I use to think I'd never get more than a microwave. I'm trying to get rid of the steamer though. My mom just bought it for me and insists I keep it or she'll keep it instead of returning it (which means it'll never get used). She swears food will taste better using an electric steamer as opposed to the steamer pots I just put on the stovetop right now. Can that possibly be right?

Little Missy
02-17-16, 08:18 AM
Yeah me too. I'm going to have to skip the salad spinner cause I have a tiny kitchen with limited space. Can't believe how many mini-appliances I have now. Rice cooker, toaster oven, crock pot, my sister's blender, steamer, and now soon to be spiralizer.

I use to think I'd never get more than a microwave. I'm trying to get rid of the steamer though. My mom just bought it for me and insists I keep it or she'll keep it instead of returning it (which means it'll never get used). She swears food will taste better using an electric steamer as opposed to the steamer pots I just put on the stovetop right now. Can that possibly be right?

I don't think so. Some people prefer bamboo baskets for steaming, electric steamers or what-have-you. It would be whatever preference to the ritual preferred, I suppose. Or, if you have a lot of room for a bunch of things.

aeon
02-17-16, 08:08 PM
Please do share your variety of spinner, if you don't mind. Nothing gets crushed in the one I have, either, it just doesn't do nearly as good a job on getting the moisture out of zoodles and coodles as well as the old school towel method. But I'm intrigued to know there may be a "cadillac version" I overlooked when purchasing one.

Mine doesn’t have any markings indicating a brand or anything else...even where it was made.

That said, it looks like ones on Amazon currently sold under the “Culina” brand, save for the fact that mine is purple.

A small part of what helps is the fact that the basket mesh is quite fine, so the water leaves, but the goods stay.

A big part of what helps is that the step-up gearing in mine is crazy high such that it takes a second to get it going, but the speed once up to speed is very high.

As a test when I first got it I put in a completely soaked sponge and gave it a twirl, and a minute later when I took it out it was bone dry.

I use mine for all kinds of foodstuffs where I want to remove water, for whatever reason. Vegetables that seem dry enough after dicing with a ceramic knife will still give up a surprising amount of water when spun.

That said, I don’t try to thicken yogurt with it...for that kind of water removal I have a dedicated screen.

Cheers,
Ian

aeon
02-17-16, 08:30 PM
I'm going to have to skip the salad spinner cause I have a tiny kitchen with limited space. Can't believe how many mini-appliances I have now. Rice cooker, toaster oven, crock pot, my sister's blender, steamer, and now soon to be spiralizer.

In terms of kitchen appliances/devices, I have some stuff I haven’t used since I moved into this apartment:

a mixer
a food processor
an ice cream maker

All 3 of those are large in size. I need to find a place to store them (out of the kitchen) because they certainly take up space.

That said, I do use:

a stick blender (great for soups)
a salad spinner
a spiralizer

In terms of utility, I use those 3 items enough that it is hard to imagine not having them. Also, I store the spiralizer inside the salad spinner because...it fits, and space is limited. The stick blender is small and stores easily.

I would like to add a crock pot and a Vitamix because I know I would use them regularly. If I do, I should lose the 3 unused items, but I can’t bring myself to.

Small kitchens suck.

And yes, I know a bigger kitchen means more to clean. I am OK with that.

I feel your pain. I am thankful that I do not eat bread or rice such that I have no need for a toaster or rice cooker, lol.

Cheers,
Ian

aeon
02-17-16, 08:34 PM
Oh, and I just wanted to add that one of my favorite things to make with the spiralizer is an apple-cucumber spiral salad with an apple cider vinegar and yogurt-based dressing...lovely in the summertime...especially with a hint of mint. ;)

acdc01
02-17-16, 08:53 PM
I feel your pain. I am thankful that I do not eat bread or rice such that I have no need for a toaster or rice cooker, lol.

I never thought about that. I use the toaster oven like a mini-oven (not just for toast) so can't get rid of it. But I may get rid of my rice cooker since I'm trying to stop eating rice.

Apple-cucumber salad sounds great though I may substitute cucumber with carrot and zuchinni since I'm not a cucumber fan. Will have to try it.

aeon
02-17-16, 09:04 PM
I never thought about that. I use the toaster oven like a mini-oven (not just for toast) so can't get rid of it. But I may get rid of my rice cooker since I'm trying to stop eating rice.

My microwave does convection too, so that is my “toaster oven” should I need such a thing. That said, it is a big honking thing.

Apple-cucumber salad sounds great though I may substitute cucumber with carrot and zuchinni since I'm not a cucumber fan. Will have to try it.

I put some carrot in mine too. Consider using radishes, and for sure, some kind of melon. Zucchini could be used, but might not work in terms of the crunch texture desired.

Of course, that’s my mouth, and yours might think zucchini to be peachy, pun intended.

Cheers,
Ian