View Full Version : Caffeine and ADHD

Jacksper
02-17-16, 10:59 AM
Lately I have been considering to stop drinking caffe´ne. I will explain why:

A few days ago I completed a 30-day no alcohol challenge and I like it so much that I extent it to 100 days now. I save money, consume less calories, have more energy and I do less stupid things, such staying up too late so I don't have enough sleep for work, or smoking (I don't smoke normally nor do I have any desire to do that, unless I drink).

Now that I see that I see how something as simple as a beverage can affect me and that it is possible to just not drink it and benefit from such a change, I wonder: how does caffe´ne affect the AD(H)D brain and might it be a good idea to cut it out? I do notice that caffe´ne has a strong affect on my brain, one that I usually consider as something positive at first (just after drinking), but eventually the effect wears out and it's like I am more tired.

So, is "zero caffe´ne" a good idea for another 30-day challenge? Please tell me your experiences with drinking or cutting out caffe´ne? And what does science have to say about this topic?

Jacksper
02-17-16, 12:25 PM
Watched this vid on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Ocmy6JBOg

He has some interesting points (and some weird eyebrows). I am not sure that I agree with everything, but I certainly recognize the crash after the caffeine high.

I have decided that tomorrow I will start a 30 day no soda challenge. Cutting out soda will already help lower the amount of caffe´ne I get. Instead of soda I will drink more water.

Now I only need to drink that one 1.5 liter cola bottle today that I already bought! ;)

Fuzzy12
02-17-16, 01:37 PM
Except make me jittery, caffeine has never had much an effect on me. At least not a positive one. I did enjoy though my cups of coffee or tea though I think it was the temperature, taste and consistency of the drinks I liked rather than their effect.

I'm not sure if there are any ill effects to quitting caffeine. I know, it isn't really recommended with stimulants. Apparently, there's also some research that shows that 5 cups of more of coffee a day can reduce the risk of depression. Anyway, I'm not sure what the net effect of caffeine is.

I've pretty much completely quit caffeine now. Switching to decaf tea or coffee helped and now I don't need that anymore either.

DJ Bill
02-17-16, 02:51 PM
I quit the regular 2-4 cups of coffee habit around Feb 1st. So far it seems to have helped stabilize my moods, although they are a bit lower than I like. Occasionally when I am really out of it in the morning I will indulge in a cup from the local convenience center and it does perk me up still.

Some meds say to not take with Caffeine, but mine don't say that in what I have read.

Decaf and decaf teas seem to be fine and I don't crash or crave them.

Little Missy
02-17-16, 04:56 PM
I LOVE it. The whole deal. I'm enjoying a restorative cup right now. :)

Toss4n
02-18-16, 11:25 AM
Went 8 months without caffeine and noticed no benefit (you save some money, but not having coffee or energy drinks whenever you feel tired just isn't worth it).

Jacksper
02-18-16, 03:50 PM
Interesting how the effects of caffeine and quitting caffeine are so different for many people.

I have started my no-cola for 30 days challenge. Also will drink less coffee, max 3 cups per day. I like to do it this way, no coffee at all would be too big of a step to take now (I also am building many other habits and starting a new job) but this is certainly doable and also definitely beneficial... at the very least I save some money, but I reduce my caffeine intake by 60-70% or so (it was much too high during the last weeks... I think I replaced alcohol with caffeine).

Fuzzy12
02-18-16, 03:53 PM
Interesting how the effects of caffeine and quitting caffeine are so different for many people.

I have started my no-cola for 30 days challenge. Also will drink less coffee, max 3 cups per day. I like to do it this way, no coffee at all would be too big of a step to take now (I also am building many other habits and starting a new job) but this is certainly doable and also definitely beneficial... at the very least I save some money, but I reduce my caffeine intake by 60-70% or so (it was much too high during the last weeks... I think I replaced alcohol with caffeine).

And you'll reduce your sugar intake!! :yes:

best of luck!!! :)

sarahsweets
02-18-16, 05:18 PM
The no soda thing I get, all sodas diet or otherwise are crap and horrible for your body. For me coffee is my number 1 little 'me' joy. I dont think its the caffeine because my green tea has caffeine and that doesnt have the same feel good feelies that coffee does.

Fuzzy12
02-18-16, 05:41 PM
The no soda thing I get, all sodas diet or otherwise are crap and horrible for your body. For me coffee is my number 1 little 'me' joy. I dont think its the caffeine because my green tea has caffeine and that doesnt have the same feel good feelies that coffee does.

it took me quite a while to switch from coffee to tea, I think, mainly because I liked the consistency/texture of coffee (with milk) so much better than tea (which I don't have with milk).

I tried really hard (well, sort of:rolleyes:) to get used to green tea but I just can't get over the fact how yucky it tastes.:lol:

Funnily enough, coke actually makes me feel much more alert. I think it's mainly the sugar. I rarely have it though...because of the sugar and all the crap in it and I hate diet coke or any diet soda..uggh :umm1:

Unmanagable
02-18-16, 05:52 PM
I used to drink sodas like crazy, along with sweet tea and coffee, all times of the day, several times a day. Often wishing I could have it hooked up intravenously, especially when working shift work. Felt panic if I ran out of any of the above.

Gave them all up at different times, for different reasons, but overall because of the harsh effects of caffeine on my innards and the dirty deeds it takes to get it to the shelves. I really wanted to drink coffee again......that smell gets me every time. But my body violently rejects it now.

I got a massive headache and major belly flopping each time I tried to reintroduce it, even in small amounts. Decaf has the same effect. Teas with caffeine, also. I later watched a documentary, Black Gold, and another one I can't recall the name of, and that, along with my experience, was enough to forever keep me away.

Adenosine
02-19-16, 06:45 PM
Caffeine feels like dex if you reversed the balance of positive and negative effects. Lots of peripheral nastiness, very little focus. I can take half a gram without it particularly fixing anything, and the insomnia at that point makes Vyvanse look like Benadryl.

I do find moderate (100-160 mg) doses somewhat helpful, but they still make my muscles a little sore, and they don't work nearly as well as my actual meds.

aeon
02-19-16, 10:07 PM
60-120mg in the morning from some black tea suits me just fine.

Kicks in quickly too...good thing with which to wash down those Dex spansules, lol.

Cheers,
Ian

ginniebean
02-19-16, 11:42 PM
I love coffee, yet I never touch it anymore. Very bad for me.

willow129
02-20-16, 05:29 AM
I cut out caffeine in college because I was having panic attacks and caffeine is definitely a trigger for me. Nowadays I sometimes have a caffeinated tea or coffee but in small amounts and it still makes me nervous, so I try to do decaf if I want a hot beverage.
I definitely do not mix caffeine and stimulants, that makes me feel HORRIBLE.

sarahsweets
02-20-16, 06:36 AM
Anyone think if caffeine doesnt bother you it should still be removed from your diet? About a month ago I read a new study that said coffee was good for you again and that the cardiovascular effects arent as harmful to your body as was once thought, Ill look up the link and post it.

sarahsweets
02-20-16, 06:38 AM
http://nypost.com/2016/01/27/coffee-likely-has-cardiovascular-benefits-so-drink-away-science-says/

Unmanagable
02-20-16, 09:44 AM
My take on that is scientists get paid to generate, create, research, and report data, and not always for reasons that match what I expect from professionals in that arena who are supposedly doing their jobs for the greater good of actual improved health outcomes.

Of course, my ability to prove what another is thinking when they perform with ill intent is non-existent, so there's no way to ever "prove" ill intent, until well after someone trips and fumbles over their own ability to mask it any further.

So far, my body has had a much greater accuracy rate in letting me know what is and isn't good for me than the scientists seem to have been able to nail down, based on years of direct experiences in trying to listen to and follow a boat load of scientifically proven advice.

Pilgrim
02-22-16, 09:37 AM
I love the taste, I use to drink at least 8 cups a day. That was a little too much.

Even with Dex, I have to have one in the morning. Oh memories.

Little Missy
02-22-16, 10:22 AM
I love the taste, I use to drink at least 8 cups a day. That was a little too much.

Even with Dex, I have to have one in the morning. Oh memories.

Coffee evokes such pleasant memories for me. Preparing it, enjoying it, philosophizing with myself while drinking it. It calms me, sets the tone of my day. I drink 3 cups in the morning and two cups in the afternoon. I LOVE to take a nap right after drinking it too. It makes me happy.

DJ Bill
02-22-16, 01:31 PM
I gotta update...I have already gone back to one large cup in the AM and it does keep me on top of my game until about 1 or 2 ..(At least I think that is it....?)but I am glad I took a break from it for a while. Some of the fog is clearing, and some of the hand tremors are coming back however.

Fuzzy12
02-22-16, 04:52 PM
Anyone think if caffeine doesnt bother you it should still be removed from your diet? About a month ago I read a new study that said coffee was good for you again and that the cardiovascular effects arent as harmful to your body as was once thought, Ill look up the link and post it.

I think, if it doesn't bother you then maybe there is no need to remove it from your diet. Especially if you enjoy coffee or whatever form you take your caffeine in, there is no need to deprive yourself of this enjoyment unless there is a real and significant benefit.

I wonder if it's worth to quit coffee for a while to see if there's a benefit (in case it bothers you without you realising that) and if there isn't taking it up again.

I remember reading a study that found that drinking 5 cups or more of coffee a day can protect you slightly from depression.

Jacksper
02-25-16, 08:43 AM
Still going without cola. It's harder than I expected. Will keep going however, I am sure that I will get used to it. I have had years without cola before.

Removing coffee from my diet is not on my list anymore. I have concluded that a modest amount of caffeine is no problem and that I just like my coffee a lot. That and I have other things to worry about at the moment than cutting out coffee.

huskerdrew88
04-08-16, 10:48 PM
I'e had a very different experience with Caffeine, ADHD, and Stimulants. Due to my Schizophrenia and Cerebral Palsy (with Seizures), although I was diagnosed from a very young age, I couldn't medicate my ADHD until I was 22 (27 currently). That being so, I'd self-medicated my ADHD with Caffeine from a very young age. Along the way, I developed an extremely high tolerance to Caffeine. I take 30mg Adderall IR at 8am, 12pm, and 4pm. With the first dose, it's not an option, I have to drink 1-2 cups of coffee. With the afternoon doses, it varies depending on what I have going on that day. There are no negative side-effects, I sleep and eat fine, and for me it's just a marginally noticeable boost. I wouldn't advise anyone else to do this, but I've been drinking Coffee for 20 years, and I have no desire or reason to stop. I discuss this regularly with my Pdoc and PMdoc(Pain Management) regularly, and they consistently say that it's not harming me and only to keep it in moderation, which I do.

aeon
04-09-16, 12:14 AM
In the past couple of weeks I have experimented with consuming 500-1000mg of caffeine per day, and I must say, the results have been fantastic.

I’m not currently taking my usual Dexedrine.

I have to do something to wake up my brain! ;)

Cheers,
Ian

i41agree
04-09-16, 10:39 AM
This is completely anecdotal and it hasn't been long, but I used to drink coffee all morning and soda all afternoon. About 4-6 coffee and about 6 pop per day. Sometimes more. As soon as I started taking Ritalin, that urge vanished. Now I have 1 coffee and 0-1 pop. That was effortless, both emotionally and physically. But it did take some practice to remind myself to drink water instead to stay hydrated.

Simargl
04-09-16, 01:28 PM
I'm a coffee enthusiast.

I don't think I'll ever give up caffeine unless I have to for health reasons. I have been drinking a lot less since I started taking medication but I will still have at least a cup every day.

I also enjoy tea. I gave up soda a long time ago.

unwitting
04-09-17, 05:45 PM
before I got diagnosed I was self medicating with many multiple cups of coffee a day. now that I am on adhd medication, i want to get off of the caffeine because it makes me sweat too much.

however if I don't have a cup of coffee i get headaches, that distract me from what i'm doing, even on medication! so my hand is forced in that i must consume caffeine to make the headache go away.

anyone want to quit caffeine with me?

aeon
04-09-17, 07:37 PM
I just spent a few moments sitting by the open window, watching the rain, and taking in the smell of damp, raw earth, whilst drinking a Jamaican coffee and cream.

Give this up? Nay, to what end?

Take life's pleasures where ye may, I say.

Cheers,
Ian

Little Missy
04-09-17, 08:37 PM
Coffee is my very good friend.

Johnny Slick
04-09-17, 10:59 PM
Caffeine got me through college. Sadly, it wasn't coffee, it was in the form of those massive cups of soda you can buy at fast food places here in America. I got my BA, very nearly graduated summa cum laude in fact (I had the GPA for it, I just forgot to sign up for the individual-studies class that was required to wrap it up), but did so at the great expense of my health. I weighed well over 300 pounds, was already exhibiting, in retrospect, symptoms of diabetes (I didn't get formally diagnosed until several years later but looking back I definitely had it then), and completely ruined my teeth (which, granted, weren't in great shape when I entered college) to the point where when I finally did get them fixed it cost me several thousand dollars to do so.

I guess the good news is, I did get myself fixed eventually!

I think the main bottom line is that whatever ADHD is, it seems to involve your brain not waking up your filters enough for them to work properly and anything that helps it to do that - and I think that pretty well describes every stimulant out there - would probably mitigate the effects of our condition. I bet even cocaine does the same (although I do not begin to recommend coke to anyone).