View Full Version : Ritalin makes my brain foggy.

Blueyedbabe88
02-18-16, 03:55 PM
I was on adderall 25mg xr for basically 15 yrs. I went off of it for a year and recently my doctor put me on Ritalin. I didn't like the side effects of adderall. But I find with the ritalin 20mg, I am so brain foggy. Do you think it is too high of a dose, or maybe a different medication all together? Please all advice welcome!!

InformedPill
02-19-16, 12:55 AM
What kind of side effects were you experiencing on the Adderall XR? Without knowing the side effects, I would recommend dextroamphetamine IR (not ER, aka Dexedrine). It is possible that the Ritalin (assuming it is Instant Release) is too high of a dose, as it is released and absorbed a lot faster than your XR was, but I don't think 20 mg is that high of a dose in general.

sarahsweets
02-19-16, 04:19 AM
It could be that the methylphenidate class of drugs is not suited for you. Did you try different doses of adderall xr or adderall ir?

Yleva89
02-19-16, 08:25 AM
I'm sorry to read you feel foggy - it's an awkward feeling.
Usually when you feel foggy, it means that the the medication or the dose you're taking is not suited for you. Maybe you need a different brand, or a higher / lower dose. Or maybe you should try an anti-stimulant instead of a stimulant? ADHD-meds are so personal, they're like a fingerprint.

I'm curious about the side effects of Adderall: Do you have the option to treat the side effects while taking Adderall? You took Adderall for 15 years. That gives me the impression that Adderall did a good job for you. I understand how nasty the side effects can be, they can really mess up you're body and mind. It's a nasty thing: you take meds to feel better, not to feel worse.

It took me 3 years to find the right medication and dosage. Now I'm on Ritalin 60 mg a day and it works for me. When the side effects bother me, my doctor helps me to battle the side effects for as long as necessary. I wouldn't dare changing medication because Ritalin works for me.

Blueyedbabe88
02-19-16, 09:34 AM
The reason I went off of adderall was because mainly because it made me want to smoke cigarettes. On the days i didnt take it, the taste and smell of them disgusted me. I finally went off adderall and on wellburtin and quit them. I was on adderall from age 13 to age 26. Same dosage. 25 mg extended release.

Blueyedbabe88
02-19-16, 09:35 AM
What kind of side effects were you experiencing on the Adderall XR? Without knowing the side effects, I would recommend dextroamphetamine IR (not ER, aka Dexedrine). It is possible that the Ritalin (assuming it is Instant Release) is too high of a dose, as it is released and absorbed a lot faster than your XR was, but I don't think 20 mg is that high of a dose in general.

The ritilan it is the long acting