View Full Version : Finally switching to Dex today

foreverwarrior
02-19-16, 06:37 AM
Well, after waiting for quite some time to see my brain dude (the guy in the chair, with the job and the thing) - I was able to get switched to Dextroamp sulf. tabs IR 10mg.

I've been on adderall for over a year, and it's been burning me out. Dose was 60mg IR, and sometimes lower and was having GI issues, lack of motivation, circulation problems, and just overall burnout.

Harped at my brain dude about these side effects as they progressed, and he tried to raise my dose, and pushed Vyvanse hard on me. I do think Vyvanse is a good medication, but it only lasts 5-6 hours for me and I need a booster - Also its about $250 a month vs $5 adderall IR or about $50 for the 10mg generic dex IR tablets.

He prescribed them today, after yet again pushing Vyvanse, and even said "how about just..giving up treatment" - Which is a no go for me. I've taken a two week break from stimulants until the other day, and spent most of it sleeping, exercising, and just pushing myself to stay afloat.

He didn't really seem keen on prescribing it, but for weird reasons. It was like he either wanted a) adderall or b) Vyvanse or c) both together - and didnt want to spend the time in between.

Reasons for switching are that I was on Vyvanse + 5mg dex boosters from a different doc for a while with good results. Clear headed, no hyperfocus (provided I dosed correctly), and just a better experience.

He put me on 30mg a day at 10mg tabs x 3

Coming from 60 mg of Adderall for a year this seems low, and no discussion was given (it was "uh. here" ) - And I just went along with it for the sake of starting over but also not coming across as a drug seeker (because I am not - seems that I dont respond well to the L - AMP).

Any advice? How does 30mg dex compare to the 75%ish of Adderall? (I know there is fluctuation).

Hoping to get back on track while I find a new doc. This guy didnt even bother to listen to the physical effects I was telling him I disliked, and said "stop worrying so much".

Overall, hoping to see improvements. Cheers.

Little Missy
02-19-16, 07:33 AM
Half or even less of the Adderall dose will still be plenty. I remember the first day I went back to Dex and was prescribed the same dose as Adderall, the difference was definitely an eye opener. The next day I flew into the pharm to get a pill cutter and the druggist was teasing me saying, "Kind of strong for you?" :lol:

sarahsweets
02-19-16, 09:43 AM
He prescribed them today, after yet again pushing Vyvanse, and even said "how about just..giving up treatment" - Which is a no go for me. I've taken a two week break from stimulants until the other day, and spent most of it sleeping, exercising, and just pushing myself to stay afloat.

No matter what people say, I still think there is an ulterior motive for pushing vyvanse especially since there is no generic.

He didn't really seem keen on prescribing it, but for weird reasons. It was like he either wanted a) adderall or b) Vyvanse or c) both together - and didnt want to spend the time in between.

I dont know why some doctors are like that. Dex has been around for years and has been found safe and effective.

He put me on 30mg a day at 10mg tabs x 3

Coming from 60 mg of Adderall for a year this seems low, and no discussion was given (it was "uh. here" ) - And I just went along with it for the sake of starting over but also not coming across as a drug seeker (because I am not - seems that I dont respond well to the L - AMP).

Any advice? How does 30mg dex compare to the 75%ish of Adderall? (I know there is fluctuation).

Hoping to get back on track while I find a new doc. This guy didnt even bother to listen to the physical effects I was telling him I disliked, and said "stop worrying so much".

Overall, hoping to see improvements. Cheers.[/QUOTE]
[/quote]
I forget how they compare mg to mg. 60 mg is the upper end of high-ish for adderall, thats what I was on when I took it. With dex, I started out on 15mg spansules twice a day years ago, then went up to 45, and now 60. You may not "feel" physically the kick in the butt adderall had, but you will find that the overall lessening of the PNS stimulation well worth it.

foreverwarrior
02-19-16, 04:43 PM
Agreed - The reason I wanted to switch is because Dexedrine is just better for me. Period. I recall the times when I took Vyvanse + Dex boosters and it was (symptom wise) perfect.

It was like d-amp made, as quoted in limitless, "not high, not wired, but clear".

Adderall is more of a "not high, not wired, but clear so while I am clear I should make sure I clean the keyboard wait theres the thing I forget yesterday oh man i better get ready for tonight wait, its time for bed (this is a span of..10 hours).

I was motivated, somewhat organized, clear headed (and not microscoped in on every little thing), and I also remember not having this current "hesitation" thing I'm dealing with.

If I wanted to go somewhere on that combo, I'd go. Now I end up getting anxious, or hesitating and procrastinating until its usually too late - I do still have my adderall, and if it turns out to not be enough (Im starting slow) I can use tiny bits of it to supplement the Dexedrine, until it gets filled.

I was a little irritated that this doctor refused to accept that the side effects I am having are related to adderall. Same thing with another med (....the pharmacy side effect print out means nothing after all, apparently) he gave me.

He is an older guy, maybe 75, so I was a bit shocked at his "new drug only" approach. I've talked to a few psychiatrists, including my uncle, and he still prefers some of the older medications for ADHD (namely Dexedrine) because it works so well.

Also I agree - There is a push on Vyvanse at certain places for some reason. Haven't found this with every doc, so I'd assume it is up to each practice to somehow hop on the "shire wagon" - whatever that means. It may just be because prescribing Vyvanse feels "safe" vs prescribing something else. It's "less abusable" and most insurance companies will only give out the quantity for 1 month, and only 1 a day. I suppose giving someone 30 capsules of "less abusable" medication offers more peace of mind for them than 90 tablets of 20mg Adderall. Either way it's sad that certain docs are making good ones look bad by not giving patients whats best for them for the sake of covering their own asses. But, that's the way it works I guess.

I haven't picked it up yet, but once I start it I will probably do a log/journal over the first few days and post it. I enjoy writing, although my zeal for it has died down recently since I've started to burn out - But I'll give it a go.

foreverwarrior
02-19-16, 08:35 PM
Just picked it up - Looks like Dr. Doofus gave me 20mg a day instead of 30, as he stated before.

Thought about declining and calling, but I'm giving this a try first. I'm still allowed (by him) to talk remaining adderall, and can use that to even out if I begin to crash and become a slug (like when quitting). Keeping the Dexedrine at 20mg a day though, and not going higher than it says on the bottle.

foreverwarrior
02-19-16, 08:35 PM
Just picked it up - Looks like Dr. Doofus gave me 20mg a day instead of 30, as he stated before.

Thought about declining and calling, but I'm giving this a try first. I'm still allowed (by him) to talk remaining adderall, and can use that to even out if I begin to crash and become a slug (like when quitting). Keeping the Dexedrine at 20mg a day though, and not going higher than it says on the bottle.

foreverwarrior
02-26-16, 06:17 AM
Update: So far. Eh?

It's been kinda crappy honestly. I've been trying out dosing systematically, but I'm not getting much from it.

Overall it seems to set in after maybe 45 minutes (10mg) and then give me a good hour of productive time. After that I tank. I've been spacing out for a few hours at a time and just kinda sitting around.

I was on 60mg of Adderall at my last prescription, and have been up to 90mg even at some points (that was a while ago, and I requested a reduction). Is the dose just too low? I dont feel like it's too high - because high doses in my experience do provide some stimulation time followed by a relatively "pleasant" few hours of uselessness. If that makes sense.

Mostly feel lethargic, sort of depressed (although not horribly, sort of a dull and unmotivated feeling), very scatter brained, and really not finding myself getting pleasure out of things I normally do (video games and youtube even lost their appeal).

Any advice? I have been having some gut problems which are being addressed, maybe this has something to do with it?

My former psych (the guy I mentioned) said "these meds having nothing to do with the gut. its all stomach". I dont agree, but hey - that's just me ;)

My digestion has been very slow in the last few months, often requiring a stimulation of some sort to "go" (stretches, work outs, and other stuff). Currently I am having minimal BMs. A GI did just recently (a week ago) have me clean myself out top to bottom using Magnesium Citrate (the liquid form). That was a crazy night - but it worked as far as "cleaning house" goes. Since then I'm still slowed down (at that time I actually was backing up very badly - sorry, I know, its gross) and maybe not absorbing things well.

If anyone can answer:

1) What could impede the effective absorption of the med in my stomach and below? (aside from acidic foods)
2) Could a lack of nutrients being absorbed cause my lack of "feels" (proteins specifically - I've been low protein/high fiber as per GI instructions until my next visit)
3) I just recently (again, a week ago) quit taking both Prilosec and Zantac to get back on track. I know those can screw with your absorption. I was on them for good reasons, but decided to quit with the new diet and procedures from the GI. Could discontinuing these abruptly cause issues that throw off absorption?

My thinking is that the gut problems are "the" problem. While I cant fix it for now, I can do my best to manage. I think that things have slowed down so much and reacted poorly to the treatment from the GI (not that he did a bad job, just the way the body works - throwing off regularity is seldom an easy thing to overcome) that food/medication are just moving through the gut at snail pace. I wonder if in fact they are just going almost straight through the stomach without much digesting time, then crawling through the rest in a way that can't be absorbed. Stopping the PPIs and h2 blockers may have made me pretty acidic (although I don't know how to judge that accurately). I have to stay lower protein for now, until my procedure coming up. I may try to pick up a few supplements I know are OK that might help. L-Tyrosine has worked in the past - Maybe some added amino acids like that can help my body out picking up the slack from poor absorption?

Sorry for the long post - again - scatter brained these days.

Thanks and have a great day! Once I take care of some things, I may post some more ideas/decisions/discoveries later if I feel a little more clear headed.

tdod
03-07-16, 01:13 AM
Update: So far. Eh?

It's been kinda crappy honestly. I've been trying out dosing systematically, but I'm not getting much from it.

Overall it seems to set in after maybe 45 minutes (10mg) and then give me a good hour of productive time. After that I tank. I've been spacing out for a few hours at a time and just kinda sitting around.

I was on 60mg of Adderall at my last prescription, and have been up to 90mg even at some points (that was a while ago, and I requested a reduction). Is the dose just too low? I dont feel like it's too high - because high doses in my experience do provide some stimulation time followed by a relatively "pleasant" few hours of uselessness. If that makes sense.

Mostly feel lethargic, sort of depressed (although not horribly, sort of a dull and unmotivated feeling), very scatter brained, and really not finding myself getting pleasure out of things I normally do (video games and youtube even lost their appeal).

Any advice? I have been having some gut problems which are being addressed, maybe this has something to do with it?

My former psych (the guy I mentioned) said "these meds having nothing to do with the gut. its all stomach". I dont agree, but hey - that's just me ;)

My digestion has been very slow in the last few months, often requiring a stimulation of some sort to "go" (stretches, work outs, and other stuff). Currently I am having minimal BMs. A GI did just recently (a week ago) have me clean myself out top to bottom using Magnesium Citrate (the liquid form). That was a crazy night - but it worked as far as "cleaning house" goes. Since then I'm still slowed down (at that time I actually was backing up very badly - sorry, I know, its gross) and maybe not absorbing things well.

If anyone can answer:

1) What could impede the effective absorption of the med in my stomach and below? (aside from acidic foods)
2) Could a lack of nutrients being absorbed cause my lack of "feels" (proteins specifically - I've been low protein/high fiber as per GI instructions until my next visit)
3) I just recently (again, a week ago) quit taking both Prilosec and Zantac to get back on track. I know those can screw with your absorption. I was on them for good reasons, but decided to quit with the new diet and procedures from the GI. Could discontinuing these abruptly cause issues that throw off absorption?

My thinking is that the gut problems are "the" problem. While I cant fix it for now, I can do my best to manage. I think that things have slowed down so much and reacted poorly to the treatment from the GI (not that he did a bad job, just the way the body works - throwing off regularity is seldom an easy thing to overcome) that food/medication are just moving through the gut at snail pace. I wonder if in fact they are just going almost straight through the stomach without much digesting time, then crawling through the rest in a way that can't be absorbed. Stopping the PPIs and h2 blockers may have made me pretty acidic (although I don't know how to judge that accurately). I have to stay lower protein for now, until my procedure coming up. I may try to pick up a few supplements I know are OK that might help. L-Tyrosine has worked in the past - Maybe some added amino acids like that can help my body out picking up the slack from poor absorption?

Sorry for the long post - again - scatter brained these days.

Thanks and have a great day! Once I take care of some things, I may post some more ideas/decisions/discoveries later if I feel a little more clear headed.

I am no expert on GI absorption of medications, but I have been taking dexedrine for 13 years and have dealt with the constipation. I find that the constipation is worst when I don't eat enough, which is often. I'm guessing you are very thin? At any rate, fiber, water, and exercise are all helpful.

I would urge you to consider the possibility that the lackluster effects are unrelated to absorption of the medication. The fact is, the euphoric effects and the intensity of the focus of ADHD medications wears off; the euphoria completely, but the focus only to a moderate degree. Personally, I have been highly productive despite this fact. The best advice I can give you is exercise 5x a week and proper diet. Additionally, I recommend accepting the fact that life just kinda sucks a lot of the time. I'm often tired and sluggish, but I have to just power through.

Best of luck to ya'.

aeon
03-07-16, 01:34 AM
60mg of Adderall = 28.482mg dextroamphetamine base

20mg of Dexedrine = 14.667mg dextroamphetamine base

So it is like you halved your dex dosage.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173221

Cheers,
Ian

foreverwarrior
03-07-16, 04:12 AM
I am no expert on GI absorption of medications, but I have been taking dexedrine for 13 years and have dealt with the constipation. I find that the constipation is worst when I don't eat enough, which is often. I'm guessing you are very thin? At any rate, fiber, water, and exercise are all helpful.

I would urge you to consider the possibility that the lackluster effects are unrelated to absorption of the medication. The fact is, the euphoric effects and the intensity of the focus of ADHD medications wears off; the euphoria completely, but the focus only to a moderate degree. Personally, I have been highly productive despite this fact. The best advice I can give you is exercise 5x a week and proper diet. Additionally, I recommend accepting the fact that life just kinda sucks a lot of the time. I'm often tired and sluggish, but I have to just power through.

Best of luck to ya'.

Actually just finished another procedure and I'm having motility issues - Due to some older trauma from the military. Diet/exercise are worked out by the doctor and myself, so I dont overdo it. I don't experience euphoria on a good dosage of meds, just a pleasant feeling that I think comes from feeling calmer and more in tune with whats going on around me. It's not a colorful, vivid effect (I do remember that the first week or so taking it years ago) that is too enjoyable.

My point was that since I am very acidic and unpredictable (digestion wise) right now, this dosage simply isn't going to work. Realistically this med isnt going to work either - It's too expensive to tinker with repeatedly. The best I've gotten on it was a solid 2 1/2 - 3 hours of no ADHD symptoms, and that was maybe twice.