View Full Version : Has anyone switched from adderall to wellbutrin?

jeeper541
02-19-16, 01:25 PM
I was put on adderall to treat my ADD and after a week I stopped. I cannot stand feeling like I am on speed all day. I did not like that I was obsessing over when my next dose would be and a alot of other reason as well just over all not something I want to be on.

I have been researching wellbutrin and it seems very promising. I have really random mood swings and bouts of depression for a couple days at a time for no reason. I am very happy with my life and accomplishment but I just will have these strange days of just being down and out. So if it could help with ADD and help stabalize my mood all in on pill that would be fantastic

Has anyone switched from adderall and had good results I see alot of people really like stimulants because of the "kick" it gives but I do not need any kick and flat out hate how adderall affected me.

I would like to go to my next appointment and ask about wellbutrin but would like some personal experiences from people who have switched from a stimulant

I do not need the crazy amount of focus stimulants give even just a small decrease in my add symptoms would be amazing.

Either wellbutrin or straterra is what I am aiming for.

DJ Bill
02-19-16, 01:56 PM
I have not switched but I have gotten great results re depression from Welbutrin generics. I don't think it really does much for the add,except lift the fog to where you can recognize what is happening in your head and maybe do something about it. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

jeeper541
02-19-16, 02:22 PM
I have not switched but I have gotten great results re depression from Welbutrin generics. I don't think it really does much for the add,except lift the fog to where you can recognize what is happening in your head and maybe do something about it. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Even that would be a huge step forward for me! Did you experience any tiredness or other side effects? Did they go with time? Seems most people stop only a few days to week in due to sides.

Bouncingoffwall
03-09-16, 11:43 AM
Have you considered Ritalin/Concerta? Once your body adjusts to it after the first week, it's fairly mild in terms of stimulant effects, and does a moderately good job improving mental clarity and focus. Any "speedy" feelings I get are subtle and quite tolerable. Most days, I don't notice much - I'm able to concentrate more and my productivity increases. I agree that Adderall feels more "rough," especially Barr generic pills.

Ritalin is like a tall, stiff cup of coffee without the jitteriness. It certainly lasts longer than coffee. At therapeutic doses it's quite benign. Combining a Concerta in the morning with a Ritalin IR booster in the afternoon will cover you throughout the workday; at least that's how it works for me.

jeeper541
03-20-16, 04:40 PM
I ended up switching to Dexadrine and have had great success

Donny997
05-06-16, 09:30 PM
That's great you found success on Dexedrine! I'm on Adderall XR and want to get off for the similar reasons; it works good for ADD but makes me irritable and sometimes sad, more introverted, and flat. I was planning on switching to Wellbutrin only to cover both depression and the ADD, but am curious to see how I'd respond to something like Vyvanse or Dex. I might just give it a go!

Little Nut
05-06-16, 10:04 PM
Jeeper, my experience w/ wellbutrin was similar to DJ. At 300mg/day it helped a little with the focus, recall, but not nearly enough. I switched to Adderall that had a drastic improvement and some new side effects.

j_dubs
05-07-16, 12:13 AM
Haven't posted on here in awhile....

I was on 40mg of Dextroamphetamine a day for a year or so, switched in between a few scripts of the Adderall mix. Anyway I burned out on the strong 20mg Zenzedi brand names and ended up in the hospital.

So I haven't been on anything for a year or so and lately have been suffering. I feel like my brain has been screwed up from taking them for so long or I just have depression issues and a serious craving for more amphetamines.

I just got a script for 75mg generic bupropion and took them for a few days and felt the energy but it gave me horrendous anxiety, and drymouth and being a smoker, serious headaches. It was way worse than any amphetamine product.

My question is, is there anything out there to take? I told my doc it didn't work and she said Provigil, which I'm scared to take, or to keep taking the Wellbutrin see if the side effects go away (which I've already said to hell with it because it makes me too nervous and irritable) But it's not like they can give me any amphetamines since I said I had some problems with them. So maybe a methylphenidate product? That didn't seem to be near as bad as Wellbutrin...

sarahsweets
05-07-16, 09:11 AM
My husband as adhd and narcolepsy and takes provigil which helps both.

emperorpenguin
07-08-16, 09:33 AM
I'd second giving provigil/modafinil a shot. I'm not sure why you're afraid of it; it's a very well-tolerated drug by most people. Then again, so is Wellbutrin, so I can understand your skepticism.

I don't get as much ADHD relief from modafinil as I do from amphetamines, hence my switch, but if amphetamines weren't an option modafinil would be my next choice for sure. Also, it's only Schedule-IV and thus much less of a hassle to fill.

C15H25N3O
07-12-16, 08:41 AM
You should be very careful combining Modafinil and Wellbutrin. I once added 1/8 pill of Modafinil to 150mg Wellbutrin and it was a extreme neurochemical flushing
for about 5 minutes which made me so tired that i slept for 16 hours. I am happy I did not die from it and I would never ever combine them again. I wanna live.

xCloudx
07-17-16, 09:17 PM
I am currently on both of these drugs. The wellbutrin (300 MG XR) has helped tremendously with my depression, temper and brain fog. Taking this along with adderall has done nothing for my ADD though.

The adderall dosage that my therapist started me out on was 10MG IR 2X a day. This did nothing for me so she prescribed 15MG IR 2X a day. Still did nothing. She told me that if the 15MG 2X a day did nothing then double up to 30MG.....still does nothing for my ADD.

I have in no way shape or form seen any improvement in regards to my ADD. Rather frustrating for me.

sarahsweets
07-18-16, 03:44 AM
You should be very careful combining Modafinil and Wellbutrin. I once added 1/8 pill of Modafinil to 150mg Wellbutrin and it was a extreme neurochemical flushing
for about 5 minutes which made me so tired that i slept for 16 hours. I am happy I did not die from it and I would never ever combine them again. I wanna live.

Whats neurochemical flushing?