View Full Version : Anxiety, is adderal the cause? help and advice with other meds to hel?

GoldblumTheSave
02-20-16, 04:00 PM
I didnt know how to title this, so sorry for the weird multi-question title

So I have never had anxiety and last year I took 60 mg of my prescribed adderal and went to my therapist. Well I had a full blown panic attack (same as when I smoked too much weed. I get tunnel vision, racing heart, feeling of being in a dream, short breaths, etc). Well I reduced my adderal dosage to 40 mg, and sometimes just 20mg if I dont have a lot to do in the day.

Well long story short, my therapist said I now have anxiety and panic disorder, but I have never had that before. Also my psychiatrist has prescribed me some benzo's (xanax and lorazopam) before, but refuses to put me on them for longer than a month. Of course they work wonders, butt now she gave me Ambien. I have tried to look up if ambiem helps panic attacks, but I haven't found any recent information. Either people abuse it and start to black out and hallucinate, or it helps with their anxiety. So anyone have any experience with ambiem and helping with anxiety?

So is it the adhd meds causing my panic? and anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of this issue? Its been 6 months and its now more irritating than scary. I just want them to goo away and be normal like I was before.

sarahsweets
02-20-16, 05:24 PM
Well the logical thing would be to lower your adderall dose, and cut out caffeine to see if those two things are the culprit. The next step would be to try and get to the root of why you have the anxiety and what triggers the panic attacks. Ambien is a sedative/hypnotic and is meant for sleep. The only reason it helps with anxiety is..because you are supposed to go to bed when taking it. xanax et al. are benzodiazipines and which I think act on the Gaba receptors[?] and act very quickly. They work best for acute situations but over the long term something else may work better.

KarmanMonkey
03-23-16, 11:43 AM
Keep in mind you may have had problems with anxiety before, and it's just gotten worse since you've been on Adderal.

Yes, any stimulant can contribute to anxiety, so maybe talk to the doc and see if a non-stimulant ADD med (straterra helped that a lot with me, but unfortunately had intollerable side effects with me) might be used to compliment or replace the stimulant.

Benzos are only ever an option in the short term (issues with tolerance and dependency), and are generally only a tool to give you the chance to develop coping strategies, changes to your lifestyle, and changes to your ways of thinking that will be the biggest help in the long run.

Weed can be tricky, because it can have a calming effect at times, and cause massive anxiety at others, with seemingly no pattern or logic.

The best bet is to work with your doc to explore med options, but also to focus on changes you can make to your day to day life that will help in the long run.

cwf1986
05-20-16, 10:59 AM
It's not uncommon at all for people to experience a lot less or no anxiety on a different stimulant. Adderall seems to be known to cause anxiety because a quarter of it is levo-amphetamine as opposed to the other 3/4 that's detro-amphetamine. The levo-amphetamine has a stronger effect on norepinephrine which gives Adderall a bit more 'kick'. That sort of 'get up and go' feeling. It can also exacerbate or even cause anxiety. It's also more liable to cause things like high blood pressure, high heart rate, and headaches.

Now for someone who has motivation and initiative issues, it's not hard to see how this is helpful. But it can also be really bad for the wrong person. Another stimulant might work better and a non-stimulant might work too. Even if a non-stim only gives partial remission of symptoms, it could reduce the amount of the stim needed.

Dexedrine and Vyvanse don't tend to cause as much anxiety. Just be careful with those two because you quite 'feel' them as much and this can lead to people chasing the rainbow. Some people also do better with methylphenidate preparations like Ritalin or
Concerta. Also, sometimes beta blockers or clonidine or guanfacine are prescribed to control symptoms of stimulant medication. Clonidine and guanfacine in and of themselves are approved by the FDA for ADHD in children.

Granted, keep in mind that what's written above isn't 100% true 100% of the time. And your doctor if they're any good should be able to help you find what's right for you. Personally, I try to work with my doctor, but if I'm not getting the help I need I don't hesitate to start looking for another.