View Full Version : Anyone with I-ADD super good at abstract reasoning?

yepimonfire
02-20-16, 04:48 PM
Probably my greatest strength. I've known a couple other I-ADD people who have this strength too.

dvdnvwls
02-20-16, 11:05 PM
Would you give a concrete example of what you mean by abstract reasoning? :lol:

I think I know what you mean...

roflwaffle
02-21-16, 12:20 PM
I think so. I ended up with a degree in math after going through all three colleges (Engineering, Humanities, Natural and Agricultural Sciences) at university.

Pixelatedmind
02-21-16, 04:20 PM
I think I am the opposite of that, I tend to have an obsession with abstracting and connecting things and grouping/generalizing concepts and ideas but I believe that's more of my attempt to compensate for the disability.

Or maybe I'm really good at it but It is masked by severe ADHD symptoms and foggy mind.. I can't really tell.

dvdnvwls
02-21-16, 06:15 PM
I think I am the opposite of that, I tend to have an obsession with abstracting and connecting things and grouping/generalizing concepts and ideas but I believe that's more of my attempt to compensate for the disability.

Or maybe I'm really good at it but It is masked by severe ADHD symptoms and foggy mind.. I can't really tell.
This is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of when I asked my question. I am just like you have described.

Roundmouth
02-21-16, 06:56 PM
This is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of when I asked my question. I am just like you have described.

I feel that I always notice patterns in things. Primarily I'm detail oriented I think, I have no unconcious sense for concepts, so I need to draw lines on a concious level all the time.

People often accuse me for generalizing. Well, yes, I am... How else would I have a chance of understanding anything? Normal people seem to do it automatically all the time, I don't. Most of the time I feel totally confused about more or less everything, but sometimes I actually manage to generalize and I may become a slight bit wiser, but I don't have those normal concepts that normal people seem to have and I wouldn't want it that way either.

Fuzzy12
02-21-16, 07:09 PM
Not as a rule. Sucky working memory seems to be a big obstacle to that. On most days when I try to follow a very abstract train of thoughts I hit a wall. I can actually feel it in a very weird way. Maybe it's just laziness. I don't know but i hate it.

But then on some days it all comes together. Maybe my neurons fire or maybe they are doused in a shower of dopamine, I don't know, but on some days I can just really think and it's just the most amazing feeling ever.

ADHDsim
02-23-16, 03:43 AM
Abstract reasoning is my drug of choice, its Creative logic to myself and my mind explodes with The interconnectedness of everything in Life. In am effort to simplify my world i utilize my quasi knowledge of economics to understand cause and effects in everyday situations.

Im quiet but when i speak i explode with surprising information that involves a mini anxiety attack whilst i paint a Picture with my words in hopes that im not misheard and that The bigger Picture is understood to The same degree.

A thousand cogs spinning to produce one abstract train of thought, mess with The input of one cog and you Best be prepared to deal with 999 spinning cogs.

I was apointed to a board developing a beautiful program utilising electronic currency. With in 10 minutes i devoured their program followed by 20 minutes of quiet anxiety as i decided if i wanted to rock The boat and lead these university know nothing know it alls...

I opted out figuring that they all had Bills to pay and fixing The problem would cause job loses (i figured they were intentionally stupid to retain their work?) i was replaced by a senior CRISO IT professional Who was more "positive" than myself... 6 months later The program was a giant flop and rolled out exactly like i knew it after 10minutes into The first meeting. 3 million dollars Down The drain..

I was seriously disgusted that people knowingly did a bad job to continue their paychecks but as it turns out they seriously had no clue.

Dexedrine only helps me think faster and stop thinking when i choose / need to.

Pixelatedmind
02-23-16, 09:04 AM
Abstract reasoning is my drug of choice, its Creative logic to myself and my mind explodes with The interconnectedness of everything in Life. In am effort to simplify my world i utilize my quasi knowledge of economics to understand cause and effects in everyday situations.

Im quiet but when i speak i explode with surprising information that involves a mini anxiety attack whilst i paint a Picture with my words in hopes that im not misheard and that The bigger Picture is understood to The same degree.

A thousand cogs spinning to produce one abstract train of thought, mess with The input of one cog and you Best be prepared to deal with 999 spinning cogs.

I was apointed to a board developing a beautiful program utilising electronic currency. With in 10 minutes i devoured their program followed by 20 minutes of quiet anxiety as i decided if i wanted to rock The boat and lead these university know nothing know it alls...

I opted out figuring that they all had Bills to pay and fixing The problem would cause job loses (i figured they were intentionally stupid to retain their work?) i was replaced by a senior CRISO IT professional Who was more "positive" than myself... 6 months later The program was a giant flop and rolled out exactly like i knew it after 10minutes into The first meeting. 3 million dollars Down The drain..

I was seriously disgusted that people knowingly did a bad job to continue their paychecks but as it turns out they seriously had no clue.

Dexedrine only helps me think faster and stop thinking when i choose / need to.

I get every word you said!

Those mini anxiety attacks. and they don't happen when you know you're asking a stupid question. Weird things are.

BellaVita
02-23-16, 09:17 AM
I have no idea.

dvdnvwls I'm calling you out - am I good at abstract reasoning?

Pixelatedmind
02-23-16, 09:22 AM
I have no idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_and_concrete#Concrete_and_abstract_thinki ng

BellaVita
02-23-16, 09:28 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_and_concrete#Concrete_and_abstract_thinki ng

Thanks. :)

I just want to know his opinion.

stef
02-23-16, 09:39 AM
I still don't understand -
does abstract reasoning mean math and logic type reasoning?
or more like reasoning things through, by intuition and memory and observation...?
(*practically dies of shame asking this*)

dvdnvwls
02-23-16, 03:14 PM
I have no idea.

Yes and no. "Abstract" is a big category. You're much better than I am at some kinds of abstract reasoning. And... then there's math. :) Another reason why abstract reasoning is IMO too big a category for a person to say they're good at or not.

acdc01
02-23-16, 07:39 PM
I still don't understand -
does abstract reasoning mean math and logic type reasoning?
or more like reasoning things through, by intuition and memory and observation...?
(*practically dies of shame asking this*)

Yeah I don't know what it means either and if I did, I doubt I would really know if I'm good at it or not.

ADHDsim
02-24-16, 07:23 AM
I get every word you said!

Those mini anxiety attacks. and they don't happen when you know you're asking a stupid question. Weird things are.

Interesting reply, ive started to rely on my anxiety as a verification about how "correct" i am about a train of thought im having, The more anxiety The greater my Discovery generally is. Theres no anxiety from knee jerk stupid ideas.

Im glad to know im not The only one :)

NateDEEzy
02-28-16, 03:39 PM
If it's what I think you're talking about, it's one of the things I'm actually good at. I have a terrible addiction to analyzing religion and finding contradicting ideas within the ideological reasoning. I'm hoping to write a book about my findings. But unfortunately writing is one of the countless things I'm terrible at.

aeon
02-28-16, 05:01 PM
Yes, to the degree that other people are regularly confused, irritated, and amused.

Namaste,
Ian

Gemini Six
03-08-16, 03:49 AM
Yes! So much so that I ended up with a B.A. in Philosophy!

VGAUGH
03-15-16, 11:01 AM
The WIKI page on concrete/abstract thinking is different from my understanding.
For me, examples given for abstract thinking are just answers to why and how.
I do see connections or a way of understanding that others do not see.
Then again, with diverse interests and experience there comes a greater knowledge base and greater understanding.
However there is a deficit there, I just can not define it, possibly abstract relationships with a time element.

Donny997
03-15-16, 11:18 PM
That wiki page example seems more like detailed, precise, differentiated thinking. If thats an example of abstract thinking, I'm a clod of concrete. I thought abstraction was thinking in symbols, looking for connections or deeper more sophisticated meaning in otherwise obvious things. I don't know.

sarahsweets
03-16-16, 02:36 AM
Sometimes abstract thinking is a loaded phrase.

Swordson
03-19-16, 05:50 AM
I still remember at school when my teacher was supposed to give me constructive feedback (must have been like 10 years old.) She said that my strength was to think across categories of information - to find something from science class, combine it with history, politics or something else, and come up with a new idea or some analysis that even the adults had not thought about yet. My explanation for this is that my brain works on so many different topics at any one time - constantly jumping from one to the other - that these topics become naturally interconnected. Of course, the downside is that I struggle to focus on just one of them when I need to, but I have learned to see the benefits. Now, more than 20 years later, I am developing my career into analysis and strategic planning, where I believe that particular skill is valuable - seeing relationships and possibilities others may not.

Pugly
04-13-16, 10:20 PM
Yes, but I find it's limited sometimes and or rather focused.

I need a ton of mental 'space' to get it to work, no distractions, lots of visualizations of the core ideas, lots of time to let my unconscious brain do it's magic.

Any communication, any social pressure or application towards a long term goal tends to derail this ability very fast.

I also like to reduce ideas of complexity as quickly as I can, and so I can get overwhelmed with minor detail. I loved calculus and all the vague visual trickery they use to explain it. But today I was trying to do some business math, and I was bored and uninterested and not engaged... because the details matter but the core ideas is just multiplication.

I get like that with stuff I just assume I can look up in a book. I hate taking the time to memorize it... I can do it but it takes a while for me to digest it into long term memory to get super proficient.

Which is sometimes frustrating talking to people who expect me to be super competent in simple math used with a normal-high executive function ability... it just doesn't happen. But give me advanced math with no point to it but an interesting take on abstract concepts and see my mind go into a hyper mode.

It is such a frustrating combo, having a high abstract reasoning but with no executive function to make it focus. I feel smart and dumb at the same time.