View Full Version : Verbal Dyslexia

Donny997
02-21-16, 03:38 PM
I'm posting here for more exposure. I have Inattentive-ADD but was wondering if I also have a processing deficit and a form of dyslexia, distinct from the cognitive trobules and fumbles present with ADD.

These symptoms are kind of related, but the processing problem happens on some days where I just can't seem to digest certain information. The verbal problem is an output issue; When I go to speak it's as if the words are floating around in my mind like a
vegetables in a boiling pot of soup, instead of forming in a clear sequential line, so my words get jumbled, out of order, and sometimes I just give up on sentences because I cant formulate the words to say what I want to say. Its like a brain block with content having trouble going in and out.

I don't have trouble reading or writing, so i don't know if this would still qualify as dyslexia. In University essays were my strong suit, so not sure what this problem is. Sometimes, however, I do read words wrong when glancing at it, and often mix up digits when writing a phone number. One time when telling someone an email, I said "Fex" when I meant to sound out F-E-X. And of course multuple mishaps that were similar.

My therapist thinks it's probably merely a self-expression issue related to my personality. I think he's at least partially right but I feel like there's something more going on. I was always a quiet kid my whole life and am caught very flat-footed in verbal exchanges. It's frustrating and I dread interactions because of it. A GP would say its anxiety, but again I think anxiety is certainly a factor but it's like my anxiety and depression get worse when I have this issue, and better when I can speak more fluently and think more clearly.

Anyone think its a learning problem? I'm trying to find where I can grt a competent professional to provide insight. Could a neuro-psychological test identify these problems? Thanks!

dvdnvwls
02-21-16, 08:25 PM
Dyslexia is very specific to reading and writing. A person who doesn't have trouble reading or writing can't have dyslexia. I guess a person could conceivably have trouble reading and writing without knowing they had such a problem - but that would be your only dyslexia possibility.

I have this sometimes too, and I tend to agree with your imaginary GP who says it's likely caused by anxiety and/or depression. Or (maybe more accurately) that because of ADHD my brain is always doing the boiling-soup thing, and if I'm anxious or depressed then I no longer have the ability to work through that.

Donny997
03-03-16, 08:02 PM
I thought I had responded to this, guess I didn't hit reply. Thanks for your response, it put my mind at ease; its good to know it's not more complicated than add.

daveddd
03-03-16, 09:42 PM
i have this

its more obvious when I'm typing then speaking, maybe I've adapted to not be even more socially anxious

don't know what its called

but barkley does mention verbal fluency as an executive function

dvdnvwls
03-04-16, 02:06 AM
Hmmm fluency

I tend to talk at an irritatingly slow speed sometimes.

Other times it seems I speak too quickly and in an over-excited way.

daveddd
03-04-16, 01:08 PM
Hmmm fluency

I tend to talk at an irritatingly slow speed sometimes.

Other times it seems I speak too quickly and in an over-excited way.

I'm not sure if I do the slow pace

But I speak in a monosyllabic way. And what's termed telegraphic speech at times

Then other times I also do the really fast overexcited speech

Cool to know I'm not just a freak

dvdnvwls
03-04-16, 03:40 PM

But I speak in a monosyllabic way. And what's termed telegraphic speech at times

Well, maybe we both are. :)

daveddd
03-04-16, 06:06 PM
Well, maybe we both are. :)

that actually makes more sense

Unmanagable
03-04-16, 06:33 PM
"All the freaky people make the beauty of the world." ~Michael Franti

I have the same issue(s).

Donny997
03-12-16, 11:52 PM

Same here. I've been told I speak too fast, but really I do that to overcompensate for naturally speaking too slowly. And to ensure I get out what I want to say before I forget what I was talking about - that's the crux of my fast speech. I don't understand how people cam speak at an easy, moderate, even pace without having their mind completely derail after 3.4 seconds.

So to keep up in conversations without spacing out I have to "brain dump," and then space out... brain dump and then space out... Lol so retarded.

Donny997
03-12-16, 11:55 PM
I guess to sum up this problem for me, I sound illiterate when I speak. Word salad. People's first impression of me is painfully low.

Cyllya
03-18-16, 12:00 AM
If you have it to a small degree, it's probably just a side effect of ADHD (or anxiety). I'm pretty bad at speaking, personally. However, there are various speech-related disorders that you may wish to look into. I think many of these are diagnosed by a "speech-language pathologist."

If it used to be mild or non-existent and then got worse, definitely see a doctor or something.

The "lex" part of dyslexia refers to reading. The speaking equivalent is dysphasia, also known as aphasia. (You'd think aphasia was a complete inability to speak, but apparently not.) It seems like there's a few different kinds of it.

There is also dyspraxia, specifically developmental verbal dyspraxi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developmental_verbal_dyspraxia) or apraxia of speach (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apraxia_of_speech).

TheGreatKing
03-18-16, 01:45 AM
I was diagnosed with having some kind of LD when i was in grade 3 and also reassessed when i was 16 and when i speak sometimes i can hear the word correctly in my head but for some damn reason i cannot pronounce it until someone says it then i can say it correctly lol took me 18 years to pronounce three correctly and 10 years to pronounce hilarious, i mother me told that i can read a book or article and get what it is about but i cannot remember details about it but that could be an adhd thing lol

dormammau2008
08-28-16, 10:49 PM
Well there are. A few different kinds of dyslexia. Si you could have it and still! Be able to read and write...but I'd look into it more....mines ADHD dyslexia...writing reading spelling.... discauluia ie maths....simisaeaytha....a combination of the sense's.... reactivate depression......I don't get it much.... thankgod....si is cheack and you might find more information on it dorm ��

sarahsweets
08-29-16, 04:58 AM
Well there are. A few different kinds of dyslexia. Si you could have it and still! Be able to read and write...but I'd look into it more....mines ADHD dyslexia...writing reading spelling.... discauluia ie maths....simisaeaytha....a combination of the sense's.... reactivate depression......I don't get it much.... thankgod....si is cheack and you might find more information on it dorm ��

What is adhd dyslexia?

dormammau2008
11-29-16, 12:04 AM
As far as iam aware there 4 different types of dyslexia!! And iam shore ADHD must have a few types as well ! ��☝.....I dig some out for you and do you know that interesting bowls that have gut bacteria seem to be linked to dyslexia and ADHD I saw the other day interesting news