View Full Version : I-ADD Effective Medications

esslaw
02-21-16, 08:13 PM
Hello everyone,

I am currently prescribed 30mg Adderall xr. Im curious what medications others with inattentive ADD are taking or found to be most effective? My brother has been taking Dex and it has worked for him. I understand meds work differently for everyone and I am looking to switch up my Adderall because I feel like it isn't helping me focus, concentrate. I feel like i have a constant brain fog and you can imagine how frustrating that would be.

Any advice on medications, supplements, vitamins would be really helpful and i would appreciate it!

stephmonster
02-21-16, 09:49 PM
Hi! I have I-ADD and I take Straterra 40mg once per day. I can think clearly with it, I am motivated to do things, and it has just really changed my life. Side effects that it causes me are dehydration and dizziness- both of which I can deal with. It can cause liver damage, but I haven't had any trouble as of yet.

I tried Adderall a few years ago when I got diagnosed, and it kept me up for days at a time. I was so strung out from lack of sleep and anxiety that I had to stop taking it. Straterra changed my life. It gave me the ability to think clearly for the first time, and after I started taking it I became a very good student. :)

Like you said- everyone responds to medications in a different way based on our body chemistry. I hope that you find something that works well for you. I love Straterra because it doesn't make me anxious and I could finally sleep.

sarahsweets
02-22-16, 04:27 AM
Hello everyone,

I am currently prescribed 30mg Adderall xr. Im curious what medications others with inattentive ADD are taking or found to be most effective?
I think that a drug aimed at primarily inattentives isnt actually the best option. What I mean is its a lot more unusual to have only the inattentive part of adhd. You dont have to have the hyperactivity part of course, but hyperactivity can move beyond the physical and become mental as you age, plus there's also the emotional regulation and impulse controltparts too. I am combined and for me that means all of the lack of focus that comes with being inattentive plus the physical and mental hyperactivity along with major emotional regulation and impulsive issues. I dont know if a drug is better suited to deal with the inattentive parts more than another drug because I think as a whole drugs deal with multiple symptoms. Now, I cant remember if this is right, and I dont know if someone will be able to correct me, but I vaguely remember ritalin being a better match for the inattentives? Or maybe it was more for the impulsive/ hyperactive symptoms? I cant exactly remember so I could be wrong on that one.

My brother has been taking Dex and it has worked for him. I understand meds work differently for everyone and I am looking to switch up my Adderall because I feel like it isn't helping me focus, concentrate. I feel like i have a constant brain fog and you can imagine how frustrating that would be.

Any advice on medications, supplements, vitamins would be really helpful and i would appreciate it!
Since dexedrine is only amphetamine and without the levoamphetamine that is in adderrall I wonder if that makes it better for someone with primarily inattention? Not sure but if adderall isnt working for you then sticking to a different drug in the same class is always a good start rather than switching from one class to another like ritalin.

kwalk
03-01-16, 02:57 AM
Adderall instant release SANDOZ brand works best for me and I know a lot of people on here love that brand. Its always a special request, but Walgreens cooperates with me. It's no magic pill tho, but I've been on stimulants for 13 years! I used to take concerta but that stopped working after a year. Then I switched to adderall and eventually came back to it.

Gemini Six
03-09-16, 03:58 AM
Strattera has been my magic bullet. Still working on managing the side effects, but I can finally relax and think on my own accord, rather than processing everything that gets "automatically downloaded", so to speak.

Dimirah
03-14-16, 11:55 PM
How long would you say it takes to be on ADD medication before you can really determine the effects and if it's it's really for you or not? This is my first day on Zenzedi after being diagnosed with ADD/ADHD inattentive earlier this week. I do feel kinda dizzy, but I expected that since it says right on the bottle and is nothing really concerning. I feel slighly more awake, like eyes opened, but I sort of feel like I'm in a fog. But don't know if it's just too soon to tell or not.