View Full Version : LITHIUM isn't even working! Ugggghhh!

GCTB74
02-22-16, 07:54 AM
I've done nothing but complain on these forums for over a year that no medication has worked...and over a year later (and two different doctors) STILL no medication works.

I am now on LITHIUM! Which is basically the "last resort" drug! It's the "OH, NO medication has worked for you? Then you need LITHIUM! It's the STRONGEST of all drugs and it NEVER FAILS! If Lithium doesn't work...you're screwed! BUT it WILL work because it's super strong!" drug.

Well...I'm screwed. Been on it 5 weeks, almost closing in on the 6th week. 1,200 milligrams and not so much as a TWITCH of improvement! Not even any side effects. No good effects, no bad, no nothing! And this is *******' LITHIUM! I thought this was a no fail "super strong" drug????

If ANYTHING I think my mood and manic episodes are WORSE!! I have been in a really negative, annoying, nasty mood lately! I think 6 weeks is more than enough to feel SOMETHING! The doctor even said she finds it very strange that I seem to be exactly the same. Everywhere I've researched it said Lithium takes "several weeks." 6 weeks seems like several to me!! It doesn't say several MONTHS!

This is so ridiculous! Yet another drug that doesn't work! And a STRONG one too! All I do is read these forums and hear all about how medication works wonders and how it's saved your lives and made your life so much better. Meanwhile I'm up to about 16 drugs in the last year and not a single one has worked.

How is this possible? What is going on?

qanda
02-22-16, 10:03 PM
Can you increase the dosage? I do not know if 1200 mg is a high or low dose. I know when my daughter started Zoloft a higher dose made the difference, and close to 3 months from when she first started it to see solid improvements.

Also, it seems many with mood disorders are on a cocktail of meds. Not sure how docs determine the combos.

sarahsweets
02-23-16, 05:36 AM
What else are you taking with Lithium?

GCTB74
02-23-16, 04:30 PM
Nothing else, just the Lithium. She keeps telling me she's going to put me on Lamictal (sp?) but hasn't yet. INSTEAD she put me on Depakote for pretty much NO reason other than "To help you sleep" (which has ZERO to do with my problematic issues) I had already been on Depakote from another Dr. for MONTHS and it didn't work, and it didn't work for anything when I was currently put on it. THEN she prescribed Seroquel, which i was ALSO already on last year. She put me on THAT for sleep as weel and sleeping is a SIDE EFFECT, not the actual reason for taking seroquel! So then we find out seroquel and Lithium could cause heart problems with me so i never ended up taking it. So now I'm just on Lithium and that's it.

qanda
02-23-16, 10:56 PM
My daughter was on Lamictal. It helps many people. Did not help my daughter, but she was rediagnosed with anxiety and adhd rather than a mood disorder, so was probably the wrong med for her condition. It's another med that takes a while to work, as you need to slowly increase the dose over a couple months.

sarahsweets
02-24-16, 05:30 AM
well if I am not mistaken, lithium is used as a mood stabilizer right? My experience has been that lithium on its own is useless as well as lamictal. Most people who take these drugs need both a mood stabilizer and antidepressant to help. I am bipolar II and I take lamictal, cymbalta, buspar and geodon.

blueorangetree
03-01-16, 06:05 PM
You say you tried 16 drugs but not Lamictal. What are those 16 drugs? I didn't know there are too many options for the treatment of bipolar disorder.
I also have bipolar II and got the most benefit from Lamictal and Seroquel. Antidepressants never worked for me.
It is strange that Lithium has no effect on you. Are you getting blood tests done regularly to check the lithium level?

blueorangetree
03-01-16, 06:13 PM
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-10/si-bpb102615.php

This article shows that actually it is not strange.