View Full Version : emotional control, crying, RSD?

PIKid16
02-22-16, 02:18 PM
My son, 12, is ADHD-Primarily Inattentive. He is currently not taking any prescription medication. We’ve tried Concerta and Adderall but did not like the side effects (loss of appetite and slowing of growth) and they did not seem to help at all. He does well in school, our main problems are emotional. He is very easily frustrated and cries uncontrollably. He is extremely hard on himself when it comes to anything remotely competitive. We try to be very supportive and let him know that its ok to make mistakes, and you don’t always have to be the best at everything. He does not want to cry in front of his teammates or coaches, but truly can’t seem to control it. He knows that he is alienating himself from the other boys with his behavior, which makes him feel even worse about himself. I recently read an article here about Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria and it fits him to a tee. Any advice or experience with this issue?

sarahsweets
02-24-16, 10:41 AM
If he feels that way doing competitive things or when he makes mistakes then pull him out of sports. It doesnt matter if hes good at it, it doesnt matter if he says he wants to play. That behavior that he is displaying means its more upsetting to him then it is rewarding. All three of my adhd kids tried soccor. None of them liked it and had trouble with all the yelling from the side lines. I stuck my son in peer-wee football when he was 7..he wasnt coordinated and the practiced were grueling and the sport is dangerous anyway. So I pulled him.
None of them did sports but they were all involved with other things. They have an appreciation of art and music and value one on one time or small groups rather then a rowdy hormone filled activity. Trust me,whether you like it or not, you will do damage to him. Unless you plan on him getting drafted for the majors, there are other things he can do.