View Full Version : Affirmations Tend to Get a Bad Rap

Unmanagable
02-23-16, 10:20 AM
It may just be that the term itself makes most automatically think of the term "positive", since the definition of the word is: "to validate, confirm; state something positively", and by thinking in that vein, we instantly assume someone may be trying to make us aware of how negative we are by even suggesting we use such a thing. :faint: :eyebrow: Oh no they didn't! :lol:

We often get defensive as a result, dismissing any potential healing power of whatever it is they are discussing. Then, the next time we hear that word, and the time after that, and so on, those same uneasy feelings come up and we just keep dismissing, based on words and the feelings attached to them.

So often when I'm discussing the powerful healing effects of using affirmations, many people seem to think it means for them to suppress and hide their hurt by replacing it with some positive shmositive saying that is supposed to make them feel all better about life and be done with it. But that's not how it works, at all.

Affirmations are meant to be used to create a safe space within to feel the feelings, to verbalize them, and then to potentially change how you respond to them, especially when you're getting repeatedly worn down and buried by your typical coping methods.

Sometimes, our brain requires assistance via chemical intervention of some sort to help reach a point of being able to make any of it work, via mindful nutritional intake, medication, supplements, etc., but not always, and none of that is absolutely necessary to do before trying.

Through affirmations and the simplest spiritual purification (those terms tend to freak peeps way the hell out in a dismissive way, too, but spiritual does NOT equal religious, by any means, in my world) practices with the earth, air, water, fire, and community, you can eventually lessen the load of the heavy weight of negative emotions.

I never believed any of it until I lived it. Now each day contains some form of each, and the days I'm not able to practice, for whatever reason, I still feel lifted and supported by self in the days I was able to follow through, and am better able to make it back out of the ditch a little less tattered than before.

Time, momentum, and practice are your absolute best friends in making it happen, from my experiences. Create your own tailor made affirmations to apply to your situations, needs, or pick the words of another that most deeply resonate in your heart.

Make them evoke the "feel goods" and self-nurturing nature within, as best you can, and you'll eventually want more of that. Acceptance of the process is key, too.

You can't make up things that are meant to nurture and support while all the while telling yourself it's a bunch of BS and will never work, because you will be absolutely correct with that mindset. It won't work. Make it rhyme, make it funny, make it whatever it takes to work for you to flip the script in your brain in the moment.

Affirmations combined with purposeful deep breathing techniques have saved me from many melt downs and potential panic attacks. It keeps me grounded in the most unnerving moments. There's so much power in words and breath. Learn how to use and interpret their power for the good of your own health and sanity and you'll be amazed.

As with everything, mileage will vary. Just sharing what has significantly helped me navigate my struggles (a.k.a. - the issues in my tissues...lol) in what feels like the gentlest, healthiest, simplest, most easily accessible, and most inexpensive of ways.

Pixelatedmind
02-23-16, 10:41 AM
I love what you just articulated.

By default we don't lack will power nor intelligence. It's motivation and persistence that we lack so much. I found externalising always helped. Affirmation was never judgmental.

:goodpost:

mctavish23
02-23-16, 11:32 AM
It Is What It Is :D

U R Welcome :cool:

sarek
02-24-16, 05:00 AM
Affirmations are not meant to delude oneself to feel differently than we really do.

Affirmations are meant as a request to the universe to manifest what we are affirming.

My personal experience tells me that they do work. I have been able to synchronistically "pull in" answers to many questions that I had. I affirm the need for an answer, and as if by magic, at a moment I am not even thinking about the question, I stumble upon the answer.

When using affirmations, remember that they are vastly more powerful when they are done from a place of full consciousness. Is it really your true self's desire for the affirmation to become true?