View Full Version : Self control saps memory

ginniebean
02-23-16, 10:54 AM
although such a connection is speculative, the findings may help support the observation that children with ADHD who are trying to override their inclination to fidget may not be able to focus as well. "Trying to inhibit these habitual actions might take a lot of resources, which takes away from paying attention," Egner said.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/298728.php

This kinda seems like reinventing the wheel in a sense because all of us have been saying this in any number of ways.

Pile on too much stuff that requires us to pay attention to controlling ourselves and stuffs going to get lost in the shuffle. BUT findings are only preliminary.

haha

Fuzzy12
02-23-16, 11:04 AM
I thought there has been quite a lot of research done showing this effect. For example, I remember vaguely hearing about a study where people where asked to perform cognitive tests after their self control was tested with candy or something like that (haven't read your link so maybe I'm talking about something else).

SB_UK
02-28-16, 08:05 AM
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/298728.php

This kinda seems like reinventing the wheel in a sense because all of us have been saying this in any number of ways.

Pile on too much stuff that requires us to pay attention to controlling ourselves and stuffs going to get lost in the shuffle. BUT findings are only preliminary.

haha

I think I see the problem as - discomfort (distress) in any given environment where it's well known that (di)stress degrades memory.

What's most distresssing to ADDer ?
I think that we're custom designed to learn - but that the learning that we're subject to does not match the profile of teachign and profile of information we're innately programmed to want to receive.

All of this is beautifully in parallel with the idea that we've completely misconstrued the human mind as being NOT the object of accumulating pointless complexity of language in any given domain but as an object in developing morality - requiring not an excess of language which we may hide from others through - but only language (simple) which even the youngest interested party can decipher.

Excellent point.

SB_UK
02-28-16, 08:06 AM
:-)

Fo the last 5 years now - I'm getting the error message -

'you can't give Ginniebean any more reputation points - you have to spread it around'

Excellent points - always - apologies for the forum co-ercively preventing me from adding to your reputation.