View Full Version : Neural Basis for social deficits in Adhd

ginniebean
02-23-16, 03:38 PM
But kids with ADHD had a significant hemodynamic response only to the happy expression; there was no specific brain activity seen for the angry expression
http://psychcentral.com/news/2014/09/29/study-points-to-neural-basis-for-social-deficits-in-adhd-kids/75523.html

I have long felt that it is not simply a result of not paying attention and impulsiveness that cause social deficits.

These children weren't responding in the same way to angry faces. When I look at my pwn experience anger is harder yp decipher in expression than happiness.

daveddd
02-23-16, 06:33 PM
yea, i can feel the social issues are way more than just non paying attention

SB_UK
02-28-16, 07:59 AM
http://psychcentral.com/news/2014/09/29/study-points-to-neural-basis-for-social-deficits-in-adhd-kids/75523.html

I have long felt that it is not simply a result of not paying attention and impulsiveness that cause social deficits.

These children weren't responding in the same way to angry faces. When I look at my pwn experience anger is harder yp decipher in expression than happiness.

Not being equipped to protect oneself from malice ?

You certainly can see why ADDers 'd suffer in this world.

Malice shouldn't be a component of human behaviour.

Would be interesting if we can use the absence of malice to define the direction in which human beings are travelling.

Are ADDer's enforcedly nice ?

I can't seem to locate any reward from beating another person - and so would like to think that this is true.

How ?
Experimental evidence of shift from prefrontal cortical model of reward (addiction) - 'degraded in adder' to anterior cingulate cortical reward system - 'to feel reward only when others feel reward, to feel pain when others feel pain' - a properly social reward system as you'd expect nature to drive into existence - when one sees the harm that we're otherwise capable of inflicting on ourselves.

BellaVita
02-28-16, 09:56 AM
That is one emotion I struggle with reading all the time!

So instead I just ask "are you angry?" at the most random times when no, that person was completely not angry.

And when they are angry I MISS IT COMPLETELY

Hahaha, that is something I mess up on all the time you have no idea.

BellaVita
02-28-16, 10:00 AM
yea, i can feel the social issues are way more than just non paying attention

I know someone who has ADHD and they seem to have difficulties with "theory of mind" sometimes and they aren't autistic, I've pointed it out a few times to them.

(You can probably guess who I'm taking about ;))

ginniebean
02-28-16, 10:03 AM
Not being equipped to protect oneself from malice ?

Yeah, I'd say in most cases this is quite true. Not just because of the inability to read certain faces as well, but there are a number of things that go together to make the more heavy load computations of deceptive social practice intrinsically difficult for us.

What's interesting, at least for me about this specific example, and one I hadn't actually thought of, because of course, I thought anger was a harder to read emotion for everyone, is that anger is not generally deceptive, it's sometimes suppressed but .. hmmm perhaps I'm off riding my horse backwards, I'll have to ponder this.

Would be interesting if we can use the absence of malice to define the direction in which human beings are travelling.

This is, one of those little pecadillo's of mine. I like to think about this, I mean that the question itself resonates with me. I have no answer but it is always the unknown that is more tantalizing than the known. (at least for me)

Are ADDer's enforcedly nice ?

My guess is this depends upon which co-morbidity is present.

Years back, I came across this study that showed people enjoyed being cruel or mean, and there are certainly sports WWF etc... that people seem to enjoy beating each other. I'm pretty sure I posted something about it on here years ago, because it blew me away. I had never received this so called dopamine jolt from causing anyone pain and yet there it was being said in black and white that what I had observed was in fact true.

Different animal ... for all of us tho? not sure.

[quote]
Experimental evidence of shift from prefrontal cortical model of reward (addiction) - 'degraded in adder' to anterior cingulate cortical reward system - 'to feel reward only when others feel reward, to feel pain when others feel pain' - a properly social reward system as you'd expect nature to drive into existence - when one sees the harm that we're otherwise capable of inflicting on ourselves.

I can evidence this in myself and that is not necessarily good data. The pain I feel when I step outside my own moral code is probably the most painful of all.

SB_UK
02-28-16, 10:16 AM
Different animal ...
would explain it.

Why should the feeling that we're better than somebody else ever make us feel good ?

Take the various Olympic gold medallists ?

Surely they know that the majority haven't had access to any training facilities and so they're not truly the best in the world.

Surely they know that most of us believe that they're simply artificial chemical enhanced ?

Surely they realise that being the best at 'jumping up and down - or even sideways' is neither here nor there ?

Can anybody think of a more pointless activity than the pole vault ?
or is the shot put even more pointless ?

The mind boggles at what human beings pass for aspirational.

It's all a great waste of time - which the flaw in man - would be the capacity - to derive reward / pay attention to - acts of desperate pointlessness.

To be human they should be driven to distraction whilst seeing their lives pass by, whilst they're jumping around.

Nations spending money for one person to beat others in a race - it'd be far more socially aware for society to ensure that everybody can run - rather than to turn out one person who runs a bit faster than others.

Why people can't all be given a bike or gym membership or access to a garden or free adult training courses.

And instead we see ever more technologically advanced super light bikes which break when it rains, ultra-exclusive gyms with potplants, pay-entry gardens with dress codes and prohibitively expensive courses which don't teach you anything useful.

250 UKP just to learn how to look after your bike on the Park Cycle maintenance course - which is just a training course designed to shift Park maintenance tools.

-*-

Why aren't people going insane from the inanity of life currently ?

Immoral to the point of insanity.

ginniebean
02-28-16, 10:35 AM
Why aren't people going insane from the inanity of life currently ?

Immoral to the point of insanity.

One thing that I've thought about is that the so called sane or quite insane. Those deemed insane or disordered seem strangely more aware of the general insanity.

That's interesting indeed!