View Full Version : April: a month without internet at home

Jacksper
02-25-16, 09:31 AM
I spend way too much time on my computer at home and it affects my life in a negative way. I have been doing this for more than a decade. I don't think this is healthy and I want to learn to deal with this. It's not like I don't do other activities, such as work, socializing and exercising, so it could be worse, but I can clearly see that it has a negative effect on many, if not all, areas of my life.

Now I feel that I must lower my internet/computer use. However I know that I have tried this many times before, so I am aware that this will be a serious challenge. Therefore I want to take it in steps.

My first step is to try to not use the internet/my computer at home. So, if I want to go on the internet I have to go elsewhere, such as at the local university or library. Those are within 1-2 kilometers from my home.

I choose this as a first step, because I want to be realistic and allow myself to still use the internet - I have learnt from past attempts that limiting myself too soon builds a lot of frustration, which will lead to a quick relapse, but also that it forces me to be more conscious of when I want to go on the internet, because I have to put in a bit more effort to go online (I have to get dressed and go outside), and higher consciousness means that I am more in control. Another advantage is that having to go outside and having people around me helps me to avoid getting depressed, which happens when I stay at home all day browsing the web.

After (or perhaps) during this month I will take more steps to further reduce my internet reduce and to replace my internet time with more fulfilling activities. I am not looking to cut the internet out completely, it's a great tool and also a nice source of entertainment, but it should not dominate my life. Right now my internet time per day is 2-15 hours. If I could reduce this to 1-3 hours per day it would already be a great improvement.

Feel free to join me if you happen to have the same issue or you just like a challenge

I am also interested in feedback and advice, especially (but not only) if you have succesfully dealt with this issue.

Edit: I looked up a video on the internet. This guy describes exactly describes what I want to do and why I want to do it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09yEQf3w3ns

DJ Bill
02-25-16, 12:26 PM
It sounds like an excellent plan!

I'm on the net every day at work for 8-9 hours straight doing Ebay business and I have to watch my Internet time afterwards.....and replace it with something fun.

sarahsweets
03-02-16, 05:36 AM
Jacksper-
I have to admire all of the challenges and changes you are willing to try and better yourself with. This is just a thought... do you think all of the things that you try are necessary? I mean, they arent bad and I wish I had your determination, but is it possible that maybe you overdo it sometimes? I am not being critical just wondedring.