View Full Version : Thank you all so much

candlefingers
02-26-16, 04:15 AM
I am a teenager (I hope that's alright) with what I have believed to be undiagnosed ADHD Inattentive Type for a little over a year. I've suffered from a severe lack of parental interest in my mental health since I became concerned in my very early teens, and have not had a doctor in many years.

I just found this forum and I have never felt less alone in my life. I have been pouring through so many of these threads - the brain fog, the sluggish cognitive tempo, the fatigue, the reading comprehension issues, all symptoms that have been written off as "teenage laziness" and similar things every time I've attempted to seek help.

The comfort of knowing for a fact that these issues are not an intrinsic part of who I am, but part of a treatable disability is incredible. I have a few years to go before I'm legally an adult and can attain medical care myself, but I believe the hope this community brings will help see me through that period. Thank you all!

Fuzzy12
02-26-16, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the nice post!!!! :)

I'm sorry your family isn't more supportive. Could you speak to your GP or to a counsellor at school to get some support (I'm not sure if that is a possibility but it might be worth finding out).

Till then, there are some behavioural strategies you can try to implement to help you out a bit. You'll find lots of them discussed if you continue browsing the forum or just start your own thread to ask specific questions.

Unmanagable
02-26-16, 09:46 AM
Welcome to the community. :)

I hope you also are able to find real life support to help guide you through competent care.

You come across as someone who will be a strong self-advocate, and that's a huge asset in the healing arena.

sarahsweets
02-27-16, 07:56 AM
Do you attend school? Have you talked to someone there? Not seeing a doctor for many years is not good whether or not you have adhd.