View Full Version : How Do you Know What Job You are Supposed Have in Life???

FIXADD
02-27-16, 01:49 PM
Hello Everyone, I am new to this site, I currently have a Landscaping Business that is not doing well, I have trouble billing people, following up with estimates and getting good employees. I am not sure if it is ADD related or lack of desire, lack of Motivation. People have told me to try something else. I say Yeah but I do not What. I have struggled with this problem since I was in High School Did not know what to go to College for. Spent 6 years in College only to wind up with a Piece of S Associates Degree. I am now 50 years old and don't Know what to do ? Would appreciate any advice out there. Thank you.

ginniebean
02-27-16, 04:46 PM
There is no perfect job for adhd. Managing a business is heavy load for the adhd brain when left untreated. Paperwork is a known downfall for one. You may have to hire help for that and if that is not doable then you may have to look for something elsr. If you can't run the business you could just work for someone else, do the work none of the headaches.

Do what you're good at.

renjas
02-29-16, 12:36 AM
I work in manufacturing and I do pretty well. Its highly structured with deadlines i have to meet. That keeps me on track. My job is physical enough that im always on the move. sometimes it can be boring but i wire electrical components and that can also be very challeging. and challeging keeps me focused. when I get to the end of a assignment I tend to really slowww down. but thats just one day out of 4 or 5. the gear i wire will have on average 500 termination points so its very complex. I work in spurts....Ill hyperfocus during the difficult parts and drag my feet thru the boring parts. but I usually meet my deadlines and most of the time I get done early. Im not rich but I was fortunate to find my niche

dvdnvwls
02-29-16, 02:28 AM
We (people with ADHD) do have a lot of things in common, but there are also a lot of differences from one person to the next.

I think it can really help - at least for some people - to consciously sit down and write two lists: Things I'm Good At, and Things I'm Not Good At. What you want is a job that puts you into the things you're good at as much as possible, and takes you out of the things you're bad at as much as possible.

Just one little example: If you're a horrible bookkeeper, but you're making good money, then hire a bookkeeper. If you aren't making enough money to do that, change something else instead, so that your load of things you're bad at gets lighter. If you've tried every trick you can think of and the load of things you're bad at is still too great, then change the kind of work you're in, or become someone else's star employee instead of the owner of something that isn't working out, or whatever.

In other words, learn from your successes, and do a lot more of your successful stuff; also learn from your failures, and do a lot less of your unsuccessful stuff.

I had a job as a church music director. Parts of it, I was great at. Other parts, I was horrible. I ended up having to leave it. I'm now a candidate for a very different kind of church music job - one that emphasizes my strengths, and where most of my weak areas are considered part of a different job and handled by someone else. I will probably be paid about the same, but I'll be doing things that are way less stressful for me and at which my success is very likely - instead of very unlikely, as was the case before.

Unmanagable
02-29-16, 08:52 AM
Also, consider bartering with others who have strengths in the areas you struggle in within your business.

If you know a good accountant who could use some landscaping work, discuss a workable agreement, get it in writing, and see how the flow goes then.

Know a consultant who helps with marketing? Offer some services in exchange. Maybe getting the flow going again in ways that aren't typical can spark some creatively energetic exchanges to get your momentum going again.

It isn't always necessary to have monetary exchange to meet a need. Just be sure to keep a log for your own brain's sake. Many members of our community are now doing business in this manner and it helps everyone involved. Wishing you the best in your pursuits.

KarmanMonkey
03-03-16, 11:42 AM
For me the only way I can do well in any job is if it's connected to my values. For me, my top three are family, learning, and supporting others. I'm currently a peer support worker for an inpatient mental health unit, which allows me the time and location to be with my family, it's a constant learning experience, and I feel my presence makes a real difference in people's lives.

What made you choose landscaping? Is the difficulty with billing the logistics, or is it possible that you undervalue your own work?

If you're uncertain what your most important values are, I recommend the "Values card sort" (I made the rule that you can only have 3 in the very important column, and 10 in the important) Going through the exercise might tell you what's most important to you, then you can start looking at what type of job and/or life will connect you to those values.