View Full Version : Brown spots

auntchris
05-09-05, 01:03 AM
Hi everyone . I am concerned about these brown spots that i have along my spine. I have been losing weight since last June. At first I want off the neurotin and I think that was the big part of me losing some of the weight.

In February, I was sick with the flu all month. I started to lose weight because I was sleeping so much of the day and just didnt feel like eating. I was always tired and did want anythign. Mom made me eat some thing like cooked cereal.

In March I tried to eat and get back to the eating. April I am doign better but still losing weight. Now it is May and I only lost 1pound since I last saw the dr in early May .

The other day I was itching my back and ask my mom about it. She said I have these brown dot the size of a dime along my spine on my back. What is it. I am getting scared I have never had that before. My friend Mary said to get it check out.

I dont remember ever having them even amonth ago. This is worrying me now and was wondering if it had anything to do with losing weight and not eating 3 meals. I am eating but not for my frame. I would like any help if any one can give me some input.

I have read about problems when a person is deficent in a certain mineral when I was in an early child hood ed nutrition class and now well you get the idea. Some times I think knowledge can scare us .:faint: :eyebrow: :eek:

jazzper
05-13-05, 09:41 AM
Hey Chris, I did a search on google for skin conditions+brown spots, and who knows what it is w/o seeing a doctor, but some of the things I got were:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=10 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

sebaceous glands - glands in the skin that secrete oil to the surface of the skin.

seborrheic keratosis - flesh-colored, yellow, brown, or black wart-like spots.

Seborrhoeic keratoses
Seborrhoeic keratoses are rarely seen in people under 40 years old, and become more common with advancing age. They are tan, brown or grey to black in colour, and have a waxy, raised, stuck-on look. They vary in size from 1cm up to 5cm across. Because of their appearance they may be mistaken for melanoma. However, they come from skin cells called keratinocytes, and not the pigment cells (melanocytes), and will never turn in to melanoma.

What is tinea versicolor?

Tinea versicolor is a fungus infection that mainly affects the skin of young people. This common condition is unsightly, but it is neither permanent nor serious. Spots can be either light- or reddish- brown or else lighter than the surrounding skin (hence, the name "versicolor"). There may be just a few spots, or there can be so many that they run together (like a shawl) and make it seem that islands of normal skin color are the spots, not the other way
<!-- End: byline -->****************************
If you have discolored or dark patches of skin, you aren't alone. Millions of people experience hyperpigmentation, or too much pigment, in certain areas at some point in their lives. The most common pigment disorders are dark solar lentigo spots, often called sun spots or liver spots, and melasma, otherwise known as "the mask of pregnancy."

Hope it's nothing serious Chris!
Jazz
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

auntchris
05-13-05, 06:54 PM
Thanks Jazz
I saw my family dr she was stumped so she sent me to a dermatologist. Well his answer is it is from sitting in a chair. I couldnt believe it. I want to what they are and why did they appear. I dont want to fade them with I cream if they will go away. That is a waste of money, I dont have money to throw away.

Well so far that is it. I am going see her on Friday the 20th.She wants to see me after I saw him. I am wondering if it has anthing to do with diet or the blood. Will have to ask her. I have never had this problem before in my life I dont know why now. I also am wondering if it has to do with hormonal changes too. Thankd for all you work. and caring Jazz.

orthomolecular
05-23-06, 11:27 AM
Yes, I think you could be deficient in a certain mineral. Hyperpigmentation can be a sign of excess copper in the body. (Research Wilson's Disease which you do NOT have but this condition is too much copper and does have the symptom of hyperpigmentation.)

Copper and zinc balance each other. The poor appetite would be consistent with a zinc deficiency. This can get worse because you have a poor appetite. But you do eat any animal protein. Usually the thing people avoid the most is the one food they need the most of, animal protein. The best sources of zinc are animal protein, but without sufficient zinc you can't really digest animal protein.

You don't have to guess about having a zinc deficiency. You can find out yourself with this product sold in health foods stores called Zinc Status. It tells you immediately if you have a zinc deficiency and will cost you less than $20.

Do you have any other sypmtoms associated with high copper levels like anxiety, fearfulness, and feeling highly emotional? You might want to research these other symptoms to confirm this theory.

Please consult an expreience professional about this or do lots of research becuase you could end up creating another deficiency by taking too much zinc.

Some drugs can cause a change in biochemistry that does change your nutritional needs. But it is also possible that you are getting extra copper in your system without realizing. Smoking cigs or weed, drinking booze or tap water, eating mainly vegetarian protein sources can all be ways of getting extra copper without realizing it. Also soda machines use copper tubes which can also be a source of copper. Copper is used in pools and hot tubs so spending a lot of time in treated water can also be a facter. You may want to look at your lifestyle if it is not the meds you are taking.