View Full Version : Diet and sleep might be VERY important for your treatment

Pixelatedmind
02-29-16, 03:18 PM
If you're starting medication, you read on an on about sleeping well, eating well, drinking water and exercising. But you don't really put much effort to take care of these areas because you are focused on other things.

When I finally found my optimal Ritalin dosage to help me during the day and started to understand how it helps me and how to take it, I was disappointed because It took ~1 hour to work and lasted only for ~1.5 hours.

I had to Redose every 2-2.5 hours to keep myself going to get positive effects for a maximum of 1.5 hour each dose and consume coffee in between, and I took time and work to get there.

I have been discussing with my doctor adding more boosters, and switching next month to Concerta.

A couple of days ago by coincidence, as I don't have a steady daily routine, I took Ritalin after a heavy meal high on protein and carbs after an afternoon nap, with a cup of coffee.

This had surprisingly apparent effects, the medication started working in ~30-45 minutes and lasted for almost 3 hours, same for the booster.

Today the opposite happened, I had a light breakfast at 10am, and I started working at 2pm and took my first dosage. It worked fine for 2 hours. Having a deadline and being too focused I haven't eaten anything at all but coffee.

Second dose after 2.5 hours had a very bad effect on me, within an hour to an hour and a half I was unfocused, nauseous and disoriented and could barely do any work (that's when I realized and started having a late lunch at 6pm) and took some time to feel better.

I read many times people advising with diet and sleep but I did not know it had that big effect and did not pay attention to plan accordingly.

What I have learned, nothing new, but you could easily overlook it

Stimulants work much better when you sleep well.
Eating well boosts the way you metabolize your medication and function on it, drinking water too.
Coffee helps boost your stimulant effect (if you're a coffee person), but not on it's own.
Combine the above three to get the best outcomes.

Thought I should share maybe this would help anyone new to Ritalin and medications, because I learned these the hard way. People are different but this should be highly considered.

sarahsweets
03-01-16, 12:38 PM
When I finally found my optimal Ritalin dosage to help me during the day and started to understand how it helps me and how to take it, I was disappointed because It took ~1 hour to work and lasted only for ~1.5 hours.

For what its worth, ritalin also didnt last more than a couple of hours for me and gave me mood swings so I switched to an amphetamine and have been on one for over 10 years.

I have been discussing with my doctor adding more boosters, and switching next month to Concerta.
Be aware that concerta is also part of the methylphenidate family of drugs and may still give you mood issues or anxiety.

A couple of days ago by coincidence, as I don't have a steady daily routine, I took Ritalin after a heavy meal high on protein and carbs after an afternoon nap, with a cup of coffee.

This had surprisingly apparent effects, the medication started working in ~30-45 minutes and lasted for almost 3 hours, same for the booster.

Today the opposite happened, I had a light breakfast at 10am, and I started working at 2pm and took my first dosage. It worked fine for 2 hours. Having a deadline and being too focused I haven't eaten anything at all but coffee.

Second dose after 2.5 hours had a very bad effect on me, within an hour to an hour and a half I was unfocused, nauseous and disoriented and could barely do any work (that's when I realized and started having a late lunch at 6pm) and took some time to feel better.

In the first example, what did you try to accomplish when you noticed it was working compared to what you accomplished when it didnt work?

Pixelatedmind
03-01-16, 02:05 PM
For what its worth, ritalin also didnt last more than a couple of hours for me and gave me mood swings so I switched to an amphetamine and have been on one for over 10 years.

Be aware that concerta is also part of the methylphenidate family of drugs and may still give you mood issues or anxiety.

In the first example, what did you try to accomplish when you noticed it was working compared to what you accomplished when it didnt work?

Sadly I don't have many options, amphetamines are all unavailable.

I didn't try to accomplish anything. I just didn't pay attention to diet. I started to eat well and heavy in the morning but it's not easy to keep that up when you're running late on a busy day

dvdnvwls
03-01-16, 04:06 PM
Quitting coffee may really help. Caffeine tends to have bad side effects when combined with ADHD medication, at least in some people.

Take food with you that you can eat at work. If you don't eat, your work will suffer anyway. It doesn't matter if you're running late, you still have to eat in order to keep up your ability to work. (Not eating means not focused, poor judgment, lots of mistakes.)

Pixelatedmind
03-02-16, 05:27 PM
Quitting coffee may really help. Caffeine tends to have bad side effects when combined with ADHD medication, at least in some people.

Take food with you that you can eat at work. If you don't eat, your work will suffer anyway. It doesn't matter if you're running late, you still have to eat in order to keep up your ability to work. (Not eating means not focused, poor judgment, lots of mistakes.)

Find that caffeine works fine for me. Its the lack of food that surprised me, my post was an impulsive response when I was thinking about how I felt that day.

I will make food a higher priority indeed :D