View Full Version : Need Advice on add and depression while being a student

Darthyvette
02-29-16, 04:40 PM
I'm completely new to these forums.. But I've been reading a lot of posts, and a lot of you seem to be really compassionate, so I'm hoping maybe some of you can relate and pass on some words of advice..

I'm 22, in my senior year of college. Last November my best friend committed suicide, which left me emotionally distraught, so I had to withdraw from the university for that semester.
I went to a psychiatrist and I was diagnosed with ADD, depression, and anxiety. The ADD has been such a deep and harming issue for me. I feel so worthless and useless all of the time because I'm never able to focus and complete the the things I need to do. Can't read. Can't write. Can't turn in assignments on time. I want to so badly fix it and just do what I need to do in order to finish the university with decent grades so I can get into the grad school of my dreams.

I'm still not over my best friend's death. He's on my mind constantly... I try not to let create too much sadness or negativity in my mind, but it gets the best of me at times... This semester, I knew I would be focusing on him too much, so I'm only taking 1 class, but the course material is dense and tedious to get through.. I'm already behind and I only have one class... I feel so worthless and like a failure. I have a job too. The job is probably the most depressing factor of my day. I wake up so tired and so haunted by my mind telling me to just call in. Anything is worth feeling miserable the whole day at my job.

I don't know what to do anymore. The add medication isn't working. I'm not sure if I've become more depressed because of the effects of Vyvanse, or because I'm already a month and a half in and I'm so behind in school again... I get so anxious going to class that I just skip it sometimes to feel sane. I don't want to be jobless, but I feel that I really need a break from my job to just feel okay again... I cry every day, I feel empty every day, and the depression only makes it harder for me to get anything productive done with school, let alone my life...

How do I tell my boss that I need a break... I don't want them to think I'm a child and irresponsible or dramatic, but I need a break from this job... Seeing hundreds of grouchy customers a day makes the day so hellish and miserable. I just become more anxious spending hours there that I could be using to either rest from not enough sleep, or attempt to do homework that I'm ridiculously behind on...

Am I being dramatic? I feel like I've unhinged some days. I just feel so dead inside one second, and the next I'm crying about it.. All the while I continue to feel worse the more work I have piling up that I can't seem to do...

How do you all deal with these things? I don't know how to deal anymore.

Socaljaxs
03-02-16, 01:58 AM
I'm 22, in my senior year of college. Last November my best friend committed suicide, which left me emotionally distraught, so I had to withdraw from the university for that semester.
I went to a psychiatrist and I was diagnosed with ADD, depression, and anxiety.

I'm still not over my best friend's death. He's on my mind constantly... I try not to let create too much sadness or negativity in my mind, but it gets the best of me at times... This semester, I knew I would be focusing on him too much, so I'm only taking 1 class, but the course material is dense and tedious to get through.. I'm already behind and I only have one class... I feel so worthless and like a failure. I have a job too. The job is probably the most depressing factor of my day. I wake up so tired and so haunted by my mind telling me to just call in. Anything is worth feeling miserable the whole day at my job.

I don't know what to do anymore. The add medication isn't working. I'm not sure if I've become more depressed because of the effects of Vyvanse, or because I'm already a month and a half in and I'm so behind in school again... I get so anxious going to class that I just skip it sometimes to feel sane. I don't want to be jobless, but I feel that I really need a break from my job to just feel okay again... I cry every day, I feel empty every day, and the depression only makes it harder for me to get anything productive done with school, let alone my life...

How do I tell my boss that I need a break... I don't want them to think I'm a child and irresponsible or dramatic, but I need a break from this job... Seeing hundreds of grouchy customers a day makes the day so hellish and miserable. I just become more anxious spending hours there that I could be using to either rest from not enough sleep, or attempt to do homework that I'm ridiculously behind on...

Am I being dramatic? I feel like I've unhinged some days. I just feel so dead inside one second, and the next I'm crying about it.. All the while I continue to feel worse the more work I have piling up that I can't seem to do...

How do you all deal with these things? I don't know how to deal anymore.

:grouphug::grouphug: have you looked into any grief groups? Especially ones that are greiving about suicides?

I'm no stranger to grief or loss. I have lost way too many people over the years in my life, people that were both close friends that I've lost touch with and friends and family members and people extremely close to me and some that I consider extensions of who I am over my 32 years.

I lost my first boyfriend to sucide when I was 16.. 3 years ago, I lost my best friend due to an accidental overdose. It was two medications she had taken for years, but after an extensive autopsy and toxicology report the low level mixture of a sleeping medication and low levels left in her system from muscle relaxant was to blame. January of this year I lost my mom and she was not only my mom but my best friend, my coworker, my supporter, my cheerleader, the person I spent every day with day in and day out. My mom and I worked full time together and spent our days off together as well most of the time...

Grief is its own animal. I will say medication in general is less effective when one is bereaving a loved one. My medication use to be effective it is less so now.. Everyone wants to help me, but the reality is unless you bring me back the people I lost you can't fix this. Also, don't ask how I'm doing? Drives me nuts it's like hmm how do you think I'm doing..

Every experience/emotion one has seems for me at least to be shared with a void of the person that is not there to share the experience and emotions with.

So, don't let someone tell you that "you are grieving too long" or just to move on and get over it. It doesn't work that way. I'm waiting for a group to open up now in regards to a grief group. I googled bereivement groups + my city and a few came up,and I called each of them that pertained to me. Met with a few leaders and picked one that works with me.

Twiggy
03-02-16, 07:44 PM
Maybe you should try antidepressant medication.
I tried Adderall recently again, but it gave me too much anxiety...and panic attacks.

I think Depression should be treated first so you can get help with all that sadness...and feel like yourself again.