View Full Version : Help functioning at Work with ADHD

jeepers92
02-29-16, 06:55 PM
I've known for awhile that I have adult ADHD. I haven't done a lot about treating it because it's just another issue I have and up til now, it's not had the kind of impact I couldn't get around.
As a little back ground, I have Mid Level form of Tourettes Syndrome. I have ticks in my neck, shoulders, grimace, hands, eyes. I don't cuss at anyone, thought I wish I had known about that earlier. There are a few people I'd like to use that on and not get in trouble.
I'm 44 and had a short career in the Military and functioned well enough to become an LPN. Working as a nurse with ADHD is great because things move so fast, it's easy for me to function, the more I'm doing, in most cases.
I hurt my back and now have a chronic pain issue and have a lifetime of meds for that.
I started a job in IT where I am a customer service rep, with a bit more to the job than just answering phones and helping people with problems. I get involved in the process all the way to the solution. Not just pass on it when it's bigger to someone else.
I like the job a lot and could see my in it for a long time.
The problem is, that I have trouble focusing on what I need to do. The calls get slow and monotonous (sorry if I misspelled). I have 40 calls to deal with and have trouble prioritizing, etc. it goes on like that.
I don't take any meds, and til now haven't had to deal with it this way. The more I had to do the better I focused, but it's not working that way here.
Any help or advice would be great from anyone who has had to deal with this kind of mess.
Thank you, and I really appreciate any help I can get.

ginniebean
02-29-16, 09:49 PM
Consider meds

Roundmouth
03-01-16, 04:27 AM
Consider meds

CS are said to make tics worse.

sarahsweets
03-01-16, 05:13 AM
CS are said to make tics worse.

But things like clonidine can counteract that. When my son was little he tool both.

KarmanMonkey
03-03-16, 11:35 AM
Not all ADD meds are stimulants.

As far as non-medical solutions, maybe try coming up with a process or checklist; use timers and alarms to keep yourself on schedule.

Prioritizing is usually one of the trickiest tasks for people with ADD. Maybe have a hierarchy written out (e.g. Desk on fire is at the top, client who is unable to do their job is second, thing your boss asked you to do is third) Assuming you're not the only customer service rep there, you might be able to get some help from the other folks with this.

As far as figuring out what to do next, maybe adopt something like Kanban (there are YouTube videos about this) to systemize your approach and to help make sure you get stuff done in a timely manner and don't have too many tasks that are half done.

I recently got named chair for a large event where I work, and am running into the situation where I'm enthusiastic about the cause, but overwhelmed by the process. Working out a system has helped a fair bit.

finallyfound10
03-03-16, 12:44 PM
I am a nurse too and the issues with prioritizing are killing me (among other ADHD- related issues.) I used to work as a customer service rep in the early days of wireless with one call at time asking about the rate plan, billing, phone issues, etc. I wasn't diagnosed then so I wasn't as aware of my performance if that makes sense.

Do you have 40 trouble tickets open at one time? If so that's like 40 patient issues/needs using the ABCP (for the non-medical people it means airway, breathing, circulation, pain.) Or like the patients that have meds due need to be seen vs. the ones who need ice. Could you look at it that way?

crosen95
03-07-16, 12:45 AM
I twitch too. If you take medicine, just make sure you ease into it. I started on 10mg adderall. That was fine, and I didn't twitch more than before. But I went to 20mg and that made me twitch more sometimes.

By the way, my doctor here had a great idea for me. He put me on propanol. That has significantly reduced my twitching. Though not eliminated .

ScarletWitch09
03-09-16, 11:51 AM
i try to have "stress toys" within my reach (if you are permitted these at your workplace). I find that my attention is better focused when it is split like this. Also, attacking the stress toy helps keep me from my compulsions (not completely, but it helps a bit). I also keep SF candy on hand bc I have a bit of an oral fixation issue as well, and I can easily get caught in a cycle of teeth grinding and clenching or lip chewing without even realizing it.