View Full Version : ADD PI and compassion

NateDEEzy
02-29-16, 08:22 PM
Does anyone in here feel that they, in general, are more sensitive and compassionate toward less fortunate, and those who suffer?

I've always been this way, I think. For example I notice that I go out of my way to try and brighten someone's day if they seem down, or help the homeless or try and talk to them, or try and talk with and include people who you can tell are disabled, or if I see someone I know on Facebook who never really gets likes or comments on what they post I'll make the conscious effort to like it. I feel like I observe that most people don't do this. And was wondering if anyone else does?

I think my major mess up in life is that I'm in a career where being an academic is a premium, and I can't keep up. I've always wanted to help people in a meaningful way, but I have never had a 'ah ha' moment where I was able to pinpoint how exactly I wanted to do so.

sarahsweets
03-01-16, 05:50 AM
I dont think the type of adhd you have means you are more compassionate or less compassionate.

NateDEEzy
03-01-16, 07:55 PM
You're right, I guess. I'm not real sure the major difference between PI and non PI, but the non PI's I seem to have come across in life usually have no problems making friends, keeping them I don't know. But I feel as though if this is true, then there would be a slight difference as relationships are one of the major foundations to happiness, and so I wasn't sure if it's something you are born with (compassion), or if it's more the result of experiencing suffering and knowing what that feels like, or a combo. Either way, I know everyone suffers but IMO those who struggle with connecting suffer much more than those who can. It's why the most likeable people are often the happiest and why the homeless are often the most giving.

However, I mostly put this here, not bc I think there's a major difference in levels of compassion between PI and non PI, but bc I'm PI, and I've had many of my posts moved, and I wanted to hear from those who are most like myself.

DJ Bill
03-01-16, 10:15 PM
I'm PI and I have always had compassion for hurt animals, sad kids, etc. I think we adders are more sensitive to our feelings, feel them more intensely, and thereby want to do something to help anyone in need. Some of us more than others, as there is a lot of other factors like upbringing, religion, and one's own experiences with pain of all types that also would be part of developing our compassionate tendencies. For example, me being a person who has had 2 close friends and my mom commit suicide,( a long time ago now) I am way sensitive to folks who have been through a suicide.

Fortune
03-01-16, 10:24 PM
You're right, I guess. I'm not real sure the major difference between PI and non PI, but the non PI's I seem to have come across in life usually have no problems making friends, keeping them I don't know.

My experience with people with combined type is pretty much the opposite of this. Keeping friends is hard work, and having ADHD makes it so much harder.

sarahsweets
03-02-16, 05:10 AM
You're right, I guess. I'm not real sure the major difference between PI and non PI, but the non PI's I seem to have come across in life usually have no problems making friends, keeping them I don't know. But I feel as though if this is true, then there would be a slight difference as relationships are one of the major foundations to happiness, and so I wasn't sure if it's something you are born with (compassion), or if it's more the result of experiencing suffering and knowing what that feels like, or a combo. Either way, I know everyone suffers but IMO those who struggle with connecting suffer much more than those who can. It's why the most likeable people are often the happiest and why the homeless are often the most giving.

However, I mostly put this here, not bc I think there's a major difference in levels of compassion between PI and non PI, but bc I'm PI, and I've had many of my posts moved, and I wanted to hear from those who are most like myself.

I guess my confusion was, what about if you are combined? I am so I guess I found it hard to get where you were coming from.