View Full Version : Taken off ADHD meds to treat depression.. I'm worried

Darthyvette
03-01-16, 01:55 PM
I had an appointment withy my psychiatrist today. I have been feeling really depressed, and it's affecting my ability to do anything in life.. I know that being depressed can exacerbate my inability to already focus on a linear thought or concentrate on anything... And also that I can keep my ADHD meds from working correctly.

Today they told me that I've been grieving and sad for too long (on and off since November) so they're putting me on Zoloft for two weeks, and they aren't extending my Vyvanse for now... Is this okay? I've been hoping to correct my ADHD problems more than anything, but now I'm only left with antidepressants.

Has anyone else had this experience? It seems weird that they wouldn't just give me treatment for both depression/anxiety and ADHD at the same time.

GoalieMel33
03-01-16, 02:25 PM
That would depend on which condition came first. The difficulties might overlap, but a good professional will be able to differentiate them and chose the suitable course of action.

If it's depression, they would try to treat that before anything else and see how that works. If the depression is likely caused by ADHD, they might focus on tackling your ADHD symptoms then add an antidepressant in case that fails or start you on a med like Wellbutrin which could take care of both conditions.

Comorbidities (generally depression and anxiety) are common in people with ADHD.

Robin.B.P
03-01-16, 02:40 PM
That's plaine stupid thing to do. I know first hand what ssri/snri do, over time it depletes your dopamin and that made everything worse for me!

aeon
03-01-16, 03:38 PM
I know first hand what ssri/snri do, over time it depletes your dopamin

Link?

Wondering,
Ian

Robin.B.P
03-01-16, 03:45 PM
I don't have any link now, but I experienced that my self. If you Google there is some proof that they reduce dopamine with around 50%. So in my case I got only worse over the 2 years of ssri /snri.

sarahsweets
03-01-16, 05:09 PM
I don't have any link now, but I experienced that my self. If you Google there is some proof that they reduce dopamine with around 50%. So in my case I got only worse over the 2 years of ssri /snri.
They are very effective for most people

Robin.B.P
03-01-16, 05:22 PM
Yea, and all of them even I was depressed made my Adhd worse. They have never done anything for my anxiety either. It's better to stay on your meds and add an snri /ssri. What works best for the depression I have felt om my Adhd meds is magnesium. But if someone tries it, be careful not to take to much over time when on Adhd meds since it can cancel them out.

Socaljaxs
03-02-16, 01:27 AM
I had an appointment withy my psychiatrist today. I have been feeling really depressed, and it's affecting my ability to do anything in life.. I know that being depressed can exacerbate my inability to already focus on a linear thought or concentrate on anything... And also that I can keep my ADHD meds from working correctly.

Today they told me that I've been grieving and sad for too long (on and off since November) so they're putting me on Zoloft for two weeks, and they aren't extending my Vyvanse for now... Is this okay? I've been hoping to correct my ADHD problems more than anything, but now I'm only left with antidepressants.

Has anyone else had this experience? It seems weird that they wouldn't just give me treatment for both depression/anxiety and ADHD at the same time.

Yea, and all of them even I was depressed made my Adhd worse. They have never done anything for my anxiety either. It's better to stay on your meds and add an snri /ssri. What works best for the depression I have felt om my Adhd meds is magnesium. But if someone tries it, be careful not to take to much over time when on Adhd meds since it can cancel them out.

Robin that may be what works best for your type of depression, however darthyvette depression seems to be stemming from a situational induced depression.

:grouphug:first of all, don't ever let anyone tell t you are grieving for too long or that you are grieving incorrectly or extended than normal... Grief is felt differently by each person. If a doctor told me, my grief is too long, I would tell him to take a hike. November is very recent still and the suddenness and reason of how your loss happened will no doubt have lasting feelings associated with them, the unanswered questions and the what ifs are extremely hard to deal with.

However grief does make meds less affective. I don't think there is an answer to that other than it happens, but taking you off meds to treat depression sounds like a horrible idea. I would be seeking other opinions on this.

Based on the fact they are telling you what grief timelines should be and how November is too long. That alone requires re evaluating different doctors

Socaljaxs
03-02-16, 02:03 AM

My sister just started on anti-anxiety and anti- depressant to help her with grief. I don't know about specific to Vyvance but I take Adderall and certain types of anti depressants have bad interactions with Adderall. If the two do not seem to have interactions I would ask to continue on. If it does maybe ask to switch up medications to ones that don't have interactions. I believe Tri/ somethings interfere with ADHD meds but others do not.

sarahsweets
03-02-16, 02:06 AM
You experience is YOUR experience. Stop scaring the op.

Robin.B.P
03-02-16, 08:23 AM
My experience is mine, but since I can't put in a link here...there is a lot on depression and Adhd. Read all my posts please, and there is evidence that antidepressants makes Adhd worse over time. And it's not uncommon to have depression and Adhd. Since I am in the same boat and have been robbed for optimism I would never give away my Adhd meds. And there is also some links on YouTube with a doctor telling about treatment of Adhd and depression. Not long ago I was suicidal because of a long life with Adhd, I was set on and tried every med there was,and nothing helped before I got my Adhd under control. Even my doc said there was a God chance to get depressed on Adhd meds, so she asked me to keep staying on both meds. It's not to scare anyone, but search what antidepressants to you dopamine over time. It's not easy at all living with both depression and Adhd.

Darthyvette
03-02-16, 01:13 PM
Robin that may be what works best for your type of depression, however darthyvette depression seems to be stemming from a situational induced depression.

:grouphug:first of all, don't ever let anyone tell t you are grieving for too long or that you are grieving incorrectly or extended than normal... Grief is felt differently by each person. If a doctor told me, my grief is too long, I would tell him to take a hike. November is very recent still and the suddenness and reason of how your loss happened will no doubt have lasting feelings associated with them, the unanswered questions and the what ifs are extremely hard to deal with.

However grief does make meds less affective. I don't think there is an answer to that other than it happens, but taking you off meds to treat depression sounds like a horrible idea. I would be seeking other opinions on this.

Based on the fact they are telling you what grief timelines should be and how November is too long. That alone requires re evaluating different doctors

I'm considering finding ANOTHER doctor.. I don't know why doctors dismiss what you have to say, or why they don't evaluate you fully to really see what's going on. A 20-30 minute session won't reveal a lifelong struggle with these items. I hate that I waited so long to seek a doctor and get treated. My first psychiatrist thought I was just another college student looking for Adderall to improve my grades. I have NEVER requested a certain drug. I do as they say, but nothing seems to be working so far and I'm losing time. I am sad about losing my best friend, but I also want to move forward in life too. Nothing gets done and sometimes I feel like a lot of my depressions are self induced when I'm not making the progress I should be making. I feel like my whole life is a mess.

I will keep finding a doctor that listens, is compassionate, and doesn't just write me off for a new prescription each time. It's hard to not get disillusioned with this medical process. I

Darthyvette
03-02-16, 01:14 PM
Thank you all for your advice, truly. I'm new to the medical process. I'm not sure who to trust anymore. No medication has been very benefiti and I'm losing time and money..