View Full Version : strattera antidepressant effects

Ironklaus
03-02-16, 02:04 AM
Hi. Does Strattera work as an antidepressant? I heard it was planned to be an antidepressant first but it didnt quite work for it so people who created Strattera tried make it for ADD.

mssblue
09-10-16, 08:25 AM
Hi, I've been on Strattera for about 2,5 weeks and I feel like it's primarily working as an antidepressant for me. About a week in taking it I felt like I'm in a better mood so I started researching the history of this drug and indeed learned it was meant to be anti-depressant in the beginning. I'm kind of enjoying it but I'm also confused because I didn't really plan on taking anti-depressants but an ADD drug. Can't really say for sure how it's working on my ADD yet.

sarahsweets
09-10-16, 12:54 PM
Correct. Stratterra was meant to be an antidepressant and its sort of by accident that they discovered that it worked for adhd.

Pugly
09-11-16, 12:24 AM
I'm finding the benefits of Strattera seem more like an antidepressant than helping my ADD symptoms. The ADD help is more along the lines of clearer thinking and less constantly distracted by a new thought or feeling.

It has done nothing with my motivation to get things done, but when I do start getting things done I'm slightly more focused.

It's also improved my sleep drastically. I don't seem to constantly need sleep in the morning, I can make do with 6 or so hours of sleep like nothing happened. Without the med I think 8 hours isn't enough.

I think it really depends on what the core issue of the depression/ADD symptoms to determine if it's a benefit. Stattera affects different neurotransmitters than the other meds... the interactions are pretty complicated so it's hard to tell how you will benefit.

cwf1986
09-11-16, 03:19 AM
I'm finding the benefits of Strattera seem more like an antidepressant than helping my ADD symptoms. The ADD help is more along the lines of clearer thinking and less constantly distracted by a new thought or feeling.

It has done nothing with my motivation to get things done, but when I do start getting things done I'm slightly more focused.

It's also improved my sleep drastically. I don't seem to constantly need sleep in the morning, I can make do with 6 or so hours of sleep like nothing happened. Without the med I think 8 hours isn't enough.

I think it really depends on what the core issue of the depression/ADD symptoms to determine if it's a benefit. Stattera affects different neurotransmitters than the other meds... the interactions are pretty complicated so it's hard to tell how you will benefit.

Interesting... you just described my experience with Nortriptyline with adhd, primarily a noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor as well. It helps enough with focus that I can drive a car for a long time through heavy traffic or get some basic house chores done without those things being an epic struggle that I have to drink a tall coffee to do, but not well enough to sit down and read through something technical that I find uninteresting very well. I take adderall to make up the difference there.

Toss4n
09-12-16, 05:20 AM

Hmm would strattera + buspar be a good combination then (buspar should increase the dopamine levels in the prefrontal cortex, which should increase the effects of the atomoxetine)? Have an appointment with my Dr on the 16th and was planning on asking him to swtich me from concerta to strattera, but not sure if I want to do that yet as the concerta has been somewhat helpful during the last week (can't take anymore than 36mg (18+18mg) though as otherwise I get bad anxiety), and don't want to try it if it does nothing for my adhd symptoms. Concerta + strattera could be a good combination, but I sincerely doubt he would be willing to try out such a combination as this point. :(

cwf1986
09-12-16, 01:42 PM
Wellbutrin might be something to think about. Spoken very simply, it's nicotinic antagonism sensitizes dopamine releasing cells. It's also a dopamine and NE reuptake inhibitor granted the significance of the effect seems to be small.

I took it with nortriptyline at one time and it did help with adhd more than either alone, but the stims work better and it didn't play well with stims for me.