View Full Version : If Ritalin creates lots of side effects, is it possible that other medications won't?

GbeTech
03-02-16, 05:31 AM
Hi everyone,

Ritalin gives me various side effects. I feel weird when talking to people etc.

Doc told me Focalin would probably create the same positive effect without the side effects.

I doubt it; if I'm sensitive to Ritalin, what are the odds of a given medication to create a completely different experience?

Have you guys ever switched meds to such success?

Thanks.

aeon
03-02-16, 08:13 AM
Hi everyone,

Ritalin gives me various side effects. I feel weird when talking to people etc.

Doc told me Focalin would probably create the same positive effect without the side effects.

I doubt it;

And that is based on...?

if I'm sensitive to Ritalin, what are the odds of a given medication to create a completely different experience?

Likely.

Have you guys ever switched meds to such success?

Yes.

Cheers,
Ian

aeon
03-02-16, 08:54 AM
Just to add, for me, methylphenidate (Ritalin/Concerta) and dextromethylphenidate (Focalin) were two different birds.

Cheers,
Ian

Stevuke79
03-02-16, 09:33 AM
Yes, it's very possible a different media would have different side effects. In fact it's common for people to experience side effects on some drugs and not others.

sarahsweets
03-02-16, 02:02 PM
Ritalin and focalin are both part of the methylphenidate class of drugs. Amphetamines are different.

Fuzzy12
03-02-16, 02:50 PM
I got much fewer side effects with dexamphetamine than with Ritalin. Also I got a bad rash with Ritalin, which I didn't get with dex.