View Full Version : "Do you know that moment when...?" A little thread for releasing some steam.

Alexandroid98
03-02-16, 05:02 PM
Alright, guys. Now I haven't been very active at all around here as I was coping just fine for the time being, but right now ***t is hitting the fan [keeping myself from swearing is gonna be hard for me] and I need a place to vent and ask people who actually know their way around these things about their views on a few issues.

This thread is supposed to be a collection of stereotypical moments of the life with ADD and some reactions to your ADD, for comedic relief and a bit of seeking tips on how to circumvent or handle them. The following is a collection of things that I personally just can't seem to evade and they happen over and over again.

Do you know that moment when...

People caught up on you having ADD and they say "but it's easy to focus, you just have to try!"

Teachers expect you to do just as well as the other kids without even doing research on your condition and expecting you to educate them?

Your classmates/peers making fun of your (in my case) quiet, reserved and inattentive way of behaving in class and basically passing you off as retarded or finding it funny when you actually make a good submission on the topic in class as if it was a wonder that you did

People thinking you expect them to do all the work for you in a group assignment just because you are being inattentative and forgetful in remembering to manage your part of the work

Teachers actually giving up on you just because of your ADD, completely ignoring your untapped cognitive potential and giving you the stamp of stupidity, giving you bad grades all the time no matter how hard you try.

People saying "that guy is, like, ADHD or something" about the moron in the back who does jacksh**, is loud and behaves like he couldn't even screw in a lightbulb wheras you are actually struggling with this condition knowing very well that you could have better grades than this doucheface [am I allowed to say that here?]

So these are a few things I've noticed are reoccurring or at least frustrate me a lot. I'd be curious about hearing about yours as well and hope you can ease up a bit by writing them down for us to swallow them, hehe.

Lunacie
03-02-16, 08:57 PM
I think my granddaughter could have written that. It's why she switched to online school in her junior year and wishes she'd done it sooner.

tash11
03-15-16, 05:57 PM
People caught up on you having ADD and they say "but it's easy to focus, you just have to try!"
....[quote]
No, not that I can remember. I do remember a lot of "but you have so much potential, why not use it...." :eyeroll: :P

[quote=Alexandroid98;1792008]....
Teachers expect you to do just as well as the other kids without even doing research on your condition and expecting you to educate them?
yeah. but it wasn't like that either. It was that I just plain wasn't good enough for them/school. (I graduated in '99, 504s and things like that weren't a thing, or if they were my parents didn't look into it)

....Your classmates/peers making fun of your (in my case) quiet, reserved and inattentive way of behaving in class and basically passing you off as retarded or finding it funny when you actually make a good submission on the topic in class as if it was a wonder that you did
zoning. yeah. "what are you looking at?" (said in a snotty way) "stop staring at me" huh? I wasn't looking at anything....

People thinking you expect them to do all the work for you in a group assignment just because you are being inattentative and forgetful in remembering to manage your part of the work....
school, work, doesn't start off that way but eventually I am labeled 'lazy'. It's actually easier now that I have kids, people are more accepting of you forgetting things when you have small children.

In school I also got the opposite of that from people who knew I was smart and expected me to do everything.

Teachers actually giving up on you just because of your ADD, completely ignoring your untapped cognitive potential and giving you the stamp of stupidity, giving you bad grades all the time no matter how hard you try.

My 10th grade algebra teacher told my mom I was 'retarded' (her word). She failed me because I was good at math. I got all the answers right, just not the way she wanted. I can't do the long way of doing math, I get distracted in the middle, but the short versions (ironically the 'new' way that is being criticized in schools now) work well for me, I just had to figure them out on my own. :D

...People saying "that guy is, like, ADHD or something" about the moron in the back who does jacksh**, is loud and behaves like he couldn't even screw in a lightbulb wheras you are actually struggling with this condition knowing very well that you could have better grades than this doucheface [am I allowed to say that here?]

That guy might have ADHD. He might also just be low in IQ or have some other issue. It's not nice for people to say anything like that about him. But if he is causing problems then someone in authority needs to talk to him and/or remove him.

Let's add to the list:
People who assume that meds fix everything and make you super smart and able to be like some combo of June Cleaver, Martha Stuart, and Einstein; aka a perfect, well organized, genius.