View Full Version : 1st day on concerta, feel like I ate a big pot brownie!

Shakeysnakey
03-03-16, 03:04 AM
31yrs old female, was diagnosed as a kid with adhd somewhat hyperactive (fidgety etc still am) but mostly inattentive. Never taken meds and filled my first prescription today for concerta. Was hoping to have mental clarity and focus, instead, feel zoned out and weighed down, like if you've ever eaten a pot brownie or something (I feel the EXACT same when I've taken eohedrine) like I want to crawl into bed and go into a weird sleepless coma until morning :( drowsy but also kind of buzzy if that makes sense. Is this at all a normal response?!

Little Missy
03-03-16, 09:14 AM
Tell your doctor. :)

Donny997
03-03-16, 03:13 PM
I'm no doctor but it sounds like the dose is too high. I get the same reaction when I take to much. What dose are you on?

Shakeysnakey
03-03-16, 07:41 PM
I'm only taking 27mg, today was a bit better actually, I made a conscious effort to drink a large glass of water and do some jumping Jacks when I started to feel the sedition effect coming on and it has kept me going. I feel 100x worse when take ephedrine so I'm almost wondering if the doze it oo low. My doc wants me back next week anyways to increase the dose so I guess I'll see what happens! I have to admit I have not done anything productive today and still feel the urge (from the drug not the adhd) to just gap out and stare at the wall...

Simargl
03-05-16, 07:09 PM
I've been taking Concerta for a little over a month now. I've had the same reaction a few times after taking the medication. There was one time that I took it while I was at work and I could have taken a nap at my desk. There's definitely an adjustment period. I'm still trying to find the right dosage that works for me. I started out with 18mg in the morning. That wasn't enough so I bumped it up to 36mg. It seems like concerta wears off pretty fast for me so I raised the dosage to 54mg but I think that was too much for me at one time and I crash pretty hard. It seems like too high of a dose and you get tired or if you don't eat enough your reaction changes.

I think your diet can play a big part on how you interact with the medicine. I recently learned that vitamin C can effect the absorption and effectiveness of concerta.

I recently read a post where someone splits their dosage throughout the day. I decided to try that out yesterday and I'm doing it again today. I'm taking 36 mg in the morning, 18mg 2 hours later and I plan to take one more 18mg after 4 hours. It seemed to work pretty well for me yesterday. I hope to have positive results today. My psychiatrist is aware of what I'm doing. That's probably one of the most important parts - make sure you discuss dosage options with your DR and try to have some patience in the process.

I'm not an expert. I'm new to all of this but this is been my experience.

Shakeysnakey
03-07-16, 02:52 AM
I've noticed moat people posting are seeing a psychiatrist, I just went to my GP, I feel like I would benefit from someone who has more extensive knowledge of the different meds etc. I actually haven't taken anything all weekend, I hate not feeling like myself and almost wonder if I should be seeking a non stimulant drug since stimulants just make me feel so drugged aND zombie like (I have two young kids and run a daycare so playing around with dosages and feeling like I'm drunk is a real difficult thing to get through).

TheFitFatty
03-07-16, 02:57 AM
I felt drugged my first day, but now I feel nothing. I'm on 36mgs once a day. I feel focused for about an hour, then zip.

My psych doesn't want to increase my dose till he sees me at the end of the month, but I know I'm not taking enough. I took 3 twice and it was such a huge difference.

When I lived in Canada I only ever saw GP's for meds...

Simargl
03-07-16, 03:31 AM
I've noticed moat people posting are seeing a psychiatrist, I just went to my GP, I feel like I would benefit from someone who has more extensive knowledge of the different meds etc. I actually haven't taken anything all weekend, I hate not feeling like myself and almost wonder if I should be seeking a non stimulant drug since stimulants just make me feel so drugged aND zombie like (I have two young kids and run a daycare so playing around with dosages and feeling like I'm drunk is a real difficult thing to get through).

A pharmacist might be able to help you if seeing a psychiatrist isn't an option.

My brother takes Vyvanse and he doesn't take any on the weekends. I plan on doing the same thing eventually with Concerta.

I had to go the therapy/psychiatrist route because my GP didn't feel comfortable prescribing meds for ADD.

Bouncingoffwall
03-09-16, 12:08 PM
I felt all tingly with my first few doses. I started with 27 mg as well. I adjusted well after the first week. As with most meds, there is a "break-in" period where your body adjusts - especially with a fast-acting reuptake inhibitor like Ritalin. Ask your doc about refraining from meds on the weekends; I've found it helps with tolerance build-up. A short break helps those slightly overworked dopamine receptors recover. Plus, I don't need psychiatric help to be lazy and have fun on the weekends 😆. Exercise and plenty of water are essential when taking Ritalin.

Bouncingoffwall
03-09-16, 12:15 PM
Also, I stand corrected. The lowest dose of Concerta is 18 mg, not 27. Maybe talk to your doc about starting with the minimum dosage?