View Full Version : Conformity adulthood brainwashing

Gilthranon
03-03-16, 07:11 AM
When I look at adults and I look at children I see simply more authentic diversity among characters among the kids than the older ones.

I really find so many adults thinking in braintrapped ways, me among them. We all drink after a certain age, some have smoked, most kindah like going out and have tried a drug or two. Music wise, food wise, lifestyle wise I noticed how much our childhood unique individual defining eccentricities are being brainwashed by conformity. I find it so much harder to find an individual whom shows that same genuine spirit a kid has. Everyone ends up in the same lane, with the same expected group standards, social expectations. Alcohol, substances, cool or uptight, loser, that's nice, moderation, do it for the money, travel is great, rebel without a cause...

I find people back from my young years and I find now more common grounds in ways of thinking and habits, more than ever than at the age when we met first when strong personalities sometimes even prevented a friendship. Which, if you think about it, is quiet amazing.

Nowadays I find so fewer people honest to god interesting to remember. And I'm not referring to anyone 'polite' or 'nice' as words far too commonly used. I'm one of those I think. But someone you remember. No, some don't inspire me any particular desire for contact and I won't behave any worse than just distant. Which is why choosing friends is such a healthy art without being impolite or careless about respect.

And then I was thinking, an adult whom stands for an ideal, may it be within the norms of society or not, is considered a rebel. Sure, why not. He has an objective. I do appreciate rebels by nature but anyone just appreciating the adrenaline of cause havoc is not someone whom aims for a specific goal with a mentality. But that's off the point and even forgot what I mean when I initially thought about the beauty of a rebel (with a cause)

You get my point right ? Most of us, me included, are copies, replicates of each other. Of the system, soldiers, mere shadows of our origins. Because I see many doing the same thing without thinking without that weird thing that made me remember them as different before college divided us in groups.

SB_UK
03-03-16, 09:19 AM
When I look at adults and I look at children I see simply more authentic diversity among characters among the kids than the older ones.

I really find so many adults thinking in braintrapped ways, me among them. We all drink after a certain age, some have smoked, most kindah like going out and have tried a drug or two. Music wise, food wise, lifestyle wise I noticed how much our childhood unique individual defining eccentricities are being brainwashed by conformity. I find it so much harder to find an individual whom shows that same genuine spirit a kid has. Everyone ends up in the same lane, with the same expected group standards, social expectations. Alcohol, substances, cool or uptight, loser, that's nice, moderation, do it for the money, travel is great, rebel without a cause...

I find people back from my young years and I find now more common grounds in ways of thinking and habits, more than ever than at the age when we met first when strong personalities sometimes even prevented a friendship. Which, if you think about it, is quiet amazing.

Nowadays I find so fewer people honest to god interesting to remember. And I'm not referring to anyone 'polite' or 'nice' as words far too commonly used. I'm one of those I think. But someone you remember. No, some don't inspire me any particular desire for contact and I won't behave any worse than just distant. Which is why choosing friends is such a healthy art without being impolite or careless about respect.

And then I was thinking, an adult whom stands for an ideal, may it be within the norms of society or not, is considered a rebel. Sure, why not. He has an objective. I do appreciate rebels by nature but anyone just appreciating the adrenaline of cause havoc is not someone whom aims for a specific goal with a mentality. But that's off the point and even forgot what I mean when I initially thought about the beauty of a rebel (with a cause)

You get my point right ? Most of us, me included, are copies, replicates of each other. Of the system, soldiers, mere shadows of our origins. Because I see many doing the same thing without thinking without that weird thing that made me remember them as different before college divided us in groups.

Education breeds docility breeds conformity kills diversity.

Conform or be eliminated.

Apparently - you must gain either a qualitfication in maths or a qualification in medicine and then you must apply your certificates in preventing the problem you're tasked with curing from being prevented.

For when it's prevented sad little clever medics and mathematicians won't get any money.

Little economics modellers and clinical trials medics ie where all the money (from bank and pharmaceutical corporation) come to mind.

Both eliminated ie money and disease - if people simply work for the personal reward of helping others, of course you'll be recipient of the other several billion or so people reciprocating in kind.

Imagine collaborating with billions instead of fighting the same number (as we do now) in a no holds barred contest for as much of somebody else's money as possible.

Lie
Cheat
Make up science
Hire famous people to promote
Advertise on buses
Play with words
Overgrow
Win

Yes - it all comes down to feeding your inner Gollum.

stef
03-03-16, 09:41 AM
I was personally kind of relieved when the groups started blurring, as I never really fit into one group in the first place;

There are a lot of people who just conform without thinking about it, which is really too bad; and at the same time some people who were super radical and fascinating just drift into a more conventional life because it really suits them, and yet they still remain at heart, their bad-*ss selves. (As opposed to "selling out" and conforming just because "they should").

SB_UK
03-03-16, 10:15 AM
"$elling out"

is the problem.

You can only sell out if there's money about.
Without money - we'd need to find another way to motivate
- and that'd be 'to create'.

adhdseeker
05-24-16, 08:25 AM
OP -- wow, so true. Well said...

Fuzzy12
05-24-16, 09:25 AM
Interesting post!! I'm not sure though that I've had the same experiences. Maybe for very young children, but in high school and possibly earlier I found there is huge pressure on kids to conform. Also, it seems that the consequences of not conforming to tiny little details are much harsher than in the adult world. It starts with the way you dress (we didn't have a school uniform but the unofficial uniform was Levi's 501 jeans, no sneakers and no sweatshirts, just to give a few examples. The 501 was a must though) but it also includes how you look, how you speak, what you aspire to and most importantly how you think and what you say. I had pretty non-conformist views back then and the other kids really gave me a hard time for it. Even without that, I didn't really fit in and often I had no clue why. It wasn't for a lack of trying to be honest.

Now, in the adult world, I feel much more comfortable sharing my opinions and I know that I won't be treated as a social outcast or worse, bullied for thinking differently. I can imagine that it affects people even now, maybe in terms of career progression but the only reason why it doesn't have this particular effect in school, is because kids don't have the resources to hamper your career progression otherwise they surely would.

I suspect that tolerance and open-mindedness are learnt. I don't see too much of that even in younger children though maybe that's just my experiences.

Interesting. It's possible that adults share a lot of similar experiences but that could also be purely because we've lived for longer and had more opportunities. A 5 year, 10 or even 15 year old child has a much more restrictive life and is much more dependent on its environment for experiences, which is why they might seem to differ so much. For example, two kids from two schools in different areas might seem quite different. In 20, 30 years most people would have had the opportunity to drink, smoke or try a drug or two whereas with kids it depends highly on their environment.

Funnily enough, in high school most of my peers listened to exactly the same music. I remember how astonished, almost outraged, some people were whenever they found out that I didn't like Take That's "Babe"... :lol: I listened to metal and stuff so people thought I was weird. :)

Now, I often meet adults with fairly diverse interests and even diverse views and I often wonder where on earth they've been hiding. They definitely weren't to be found in my school. I find adults much more heterogeneous than the kids I grew up with. But then maybe interests are possibly developed when you are older, again opportunity & exposure, etc and again your environment is so much restricted as a kid, whereas now people from all backgrounds are coming together..

OMG, I can hugely relate to this and thank you for mentioning it!!!! I get a lot of criticism because I've never picked my friends based on how nice or even good they were. Sometimes the nicest people just don't inspire in me any desire for contact, not because they are nice but just because I can't find anything else I find interesting. I appreciate niceness and goodness and I wish people were nicer but I just cannot be friends with someone who doesn't inspire something in me or somehow tickles my interest. Someone I can remember and maybe want to know about.

I might be misunderstanding you but I agree that there is beauty in the idea of a rebel with a cause. A rebel without a cause is just annoying. If you rebel you need to know why you are rebelling (and sometimes just a "because I like things better this way" is good enough) but rebelling just for the heck of it? Just for the sake of being a rebel? It doesn't make sense to me especially when there are so many good reasons to rebel against so many things.

There are a lot of rules that I follow and that I expect others to follow but always for a reason. If rules make sense I'll try to follow them (and hope others will too). If they don't make sense then there is a point in rebelling.

I'm never sure if I get anyone's point...:scratch:

I do think, most humans are fairly similar but I think that is expected considering how much genetic material and how much of an environment we share. Breaking out of the mould is important but I think, it's even more important to know why. I do agree that everyone should find their own way rather than conform but I find that a lot easier now..as an adult.

PS: Being academically inclined in school was decidedly uncool!! It definitely wasn't an environment that admired future mathematicians or scientists, etc...

SB_UK
05-24-16, 01:37 PM
People should conform to a social program (the quest for collective improvement).
People should not conform to a selfish program (the quest for money/power et al).

In this world

People conform to a selfish program (the quest for money/power et al).
People do not conform to a social program (the quest for collective improvement).

-*-

That's all that need be said.