View Full Version : Ridlyn and moodiness

Lilzmom
03-04-16, 11:11 PM
After my son (9) was diagnosed with ADHD we did about a month long trial on ridilyn. I noticed at first on 2.5 mgs that as the medicine was leaving his system he had some moodiness and was irritated much more easily. At school when he began 2.5 mgs in the morn and 2.5 mgs after lunch his teacher would email me often stating he was being actively defiant and had issues controlling how irritated he was getting. He was getting sent to the principals office daily because he was just so defiant. The meds did help him focas but after his second dose after lunch any positive effects of the med were overshadowed by his defiance and how irritable he was.

My questions are
-is this common/possible side effect?
-with this failed trial are there other meds he could try that may be better?
-is it possible that the ridilyn was a decent med for him just not a high enough dose?

Because he failed ridilyn, his ability to focas on coloring for a 20 min session in an office setting, and his comments about having trouble sleeping his psychiatrist is questioning his adhd diagnosis. (Although he could somewhat focas on coloring he was still fidgeting and constantly telling me to look at his work)

ginniebean
03-05-16, 10:43 AM
After my son (9) was diagnosed with ADHD we did about a month long trial on ridilyn. I noticed at first on 2.5 mgs that as the medicine was leaving his system he had some moodiness and was irritated much more easily. At school when he began 2.5 mgs in the morn and 2.5 mgs after lunch his teacher would email me often stating he was being actively defiant and had issues controlling how irritated he was getting. He was getting sent to the principals office daily because he was just so defiant. The meds did help him focas but after his second dose after lunch any positive effects of the med were overshadowed by his defiance and how irritable he was.

My questions are
-is this common/possible side effect?
-with this failed trial are there other meds he could try that may be better?
-is it possible that the ridilyn was a decent med for him just not a high enough dose?

Because he failed ridilyn, his ability to focas on coloring for a 20 min session in an office setting, and his comments about having trouble sleeping his psychiatrist is questioning his adhd diagnosis. (Although he could somewhat focas on coloring he was still fidgeting and constantly telling me to look at his work)

It is possible that ritalin is not the medication for him. Yes these side effects are common, it often takes several different trials of different medication at different doses to find something that works, don't give up, he's on a very low dose of ritalin so it really does sound like it's not for him. there are other choices and you can speak to his pediatrician or whoever prescribes for him about the problems he's having.

Lilzmom
03-26-16, 03:54 PM
We're trying him on Adderall. He's on 5mgs each morning and he's had ot for 2 days now. So far he seems to be doing ok on it. He had an Easter egg hunt this morn and he wasn't as hyped up, bouncing off the walls like he normally would be and he seems to be a little more focased on tasks. He said it made him a little tired yest and he took a short half hr nap but overall he's doing much better than he was on Ritalin. He was going to try vyvanse but the insurance e wouldn't approve him for that until he tried Adderall first. The real test of the med is during school though when he has a long list of things he has to accomplish.

Pilgrim
03-26-16, 08:18 PM
Try Dexamphetamine, it's not as stimulating as Aderall but much smoother. In my humble opinion.