View Full Version : How much time between 10mg Doses?

DJ Bill
03-07-16, 10:01 PM
I've been on Ritalin IR generic for a little over a week now. I was told by my doc to take one when I get up, and the other early in the afternoon, but not later than 3 or 4.
My Schedule: 7 Am Get up
7:30 drive to where I exercise
9:00 - drive to work
10:00 work starts, goes to 6 or 7 PM
7:00 - drive to support group
8:30 Drive home from group.
9:00 do stuff at the house, eat, get on the net, read,
9:30 take trazadone
10:00 go to bed..

It seems to me the Ritalin wears off at about the 5 hour mark I get tired , sad or anxious, notice I'm not very productive, but I usually stretch it to 6 hours before the second dose. So that is 10-12 hours I am on the Ritalin and it doesn't cover all day. To me it is most important for driving and working.

Just to throw a monkey wrench in the mix, the pharmacy tech who gave me the meds said, ok, looks simple. twice a day, 12 hours apart.

Any thoughts on when I should take the 10 mg pills? I will be seeing the doc in another 3 weeks so I can ask him then. I'd also prefer to not have the down period halfway through my day if it is possible.

It is still amazing how much my driving has improved as well as my focus on driving. Work, not so much productivity but focus has improved a lot. :yes:

DJ Bill
03-08-16, 02:44 PM
Ok, that was a lot of words... So here's the Reader's Digest version:

How long should I expect a 10 Mg generic Ritalin to have the desired effects? When does it typically run out?

dvdnvwls
03-08-16, 03:02 PM
I don't know the answer, but I know one bit of information. Regardless of the amount, any Ritalin dosage should run out at about the same time as all the others, assuming they're all instant-release of course. The fact that it's 10 mg determines how strong it is, not how long it lasts.

There is an exception, that if a dosage is far too low for the person then it will seem to only last a short time.

Little Missy
03-08-16, 03:58 PM
I'm thinking 4 hours because I took it for quite some time many years ago.

Mercurial
07-09-16, 05:59 AM
The typical half life of Ritalin is about 3 hours for a 10 mg dose,
JMO, but I find that taking 2 doses 4 hours apart (10 mg) works, bearing in mind that it is the sustained release. When i took the non-extended, peak delivery is rated at between 2-3 hours, depending on your metabolism etc.

This is not medical advise, just info off the product monograph and my own personal experience.

Best of luck