View Full Version : Dextroamphetamine Generic Mfg's and Zenzedi, etc.

AnonymousHousto
03-08-16, 10:47 PM
Hello all,

I have been taking Dextroamphetamine 10 mg., 6x/day for the past 8 years or so. I do not take the full dosage everyday, just as needed on a day to day basis, usually 4x 10 mg. pills per day.

I have noticed a declining efficacy of the medication over the past year or so. I looked at the pill bottle for the first time today, and noticed that TEVA is the manufacturer.

I am in Houston, and only one pharmacy in the entire city (that I have uncovered so far) can even fill this prescription for me.

My shrink today suggested Zenzedi. I am starting this post to find out from this forum's community:

1. What are the different types of generic, and also brand name, manufacturers of Dextroamphetamine available today?

2. Which of these are the most effective and least effective?

I don't really care about insurance and costs at this point, just trying to delineate which manufacturers and their versions of the medication will work best for me (and others reading this thread). I will deal with costs afterwards.

Thank you so much in advance!

Jenn1202
03-09-16, 02:25 AM
I've heard that Mallinckrodt and Barr are the best, but I've never actually tried any other generic. I've actually tried both Mallinckrodt and Barr and had limited success. Mallinckrodt gave me too many side effects and it didn't always work very well. Barr worked on most days at first but then, like you, I noticed a declining efficiency to the point where it was hardly ever working.

I'm currently on Zenzedi and it seems to be working better than generic Dex. It's more reliable. I've been on this medication for 2-3 months so far it seems to work better than any generic Dex I've ever tried. The problem with this medication is that it's very hard to find and it's also relatively expensive. Some pharmacies try and fail to special order it because their vendor doesn't have it, but some doses are easier to find than others. I think 10mg is easier to find than other doses. If you can't find a pharmacy that carries Zenzedi 10mg you can always try taking 4X2.5mg instead of 1X10mg, but it's going to cost you a lot more. I have not been able to find a pharmacy that carries 5mg pills, but I've had some luck with 2.5 mg pills (so I take 2X2.5mg instead of 1X5mg).

thomass
03-09-16, 11:08 PM
As far as I know, there are 3 generics: mall, willshire and Barr. Most on the Internet seem to prefer mall and I tend to like that one as well. Barr, lately, does seem to give that dirty feeling as it wears off. I can't really describe it, but there is a lingering effect that just doesn't feel clean after a couple of hours. The willshire generic feels like a caffeine pill to me, which might be good for those with narcolepsy or just looking for increased energy.

But as greyhound said in another thread, a lot of this depends on your mood. That may have a bigger impact than anything else.

thomass
03-09-16, 11:41 PM
And I would also add that it varies from person to person. I was just speaking from my personal experiences thus far.

AnonymousHousto
03-16-16, 07:47 PM
Just got my corepharma generic dextroamphetamine. Will update everyone!

jeeper541
03-23-16, 11:30 AM
Mallinckrodt IR is ridiculously Strong to me but I could just have a very low tolerance. 5mg literally made me sweat while standing still. 2.5mg and I was fidgeting and flicking through random pages instead of working. Wilshire seems to be my preferred of the two but maybe after I build a tolerance I will go back to Mallinckrodt.

jeeper541
03-23-16, 11:31 AM
Just got my corepharma generic dextroamphetamine. Will update everyone!

Keep us updated I hated their adderall with a passion. Turned me into a emotionless zombie!

jeeper541
03-23-16, 11:40 AM
I am curious if anyone has tried Zenzedi, shire and mall and can give a comparison between them all?

Little Nut
03-24-16, 06:35 PM
The dextro from Zenzedi is manufactured by Wilshire.

WARNING - Unsolicited opinion incoming. (Yes, I know unsolicited opinions are worth what you pay for them.) Not Trolling.

I have only used the Zenzedi branded dextroamphetamine. With something like dextroamphetamine that has been around for such a long time and is closely regulated by the FDA and DEA, I can not believe there is any "real" difference between the different suppliers. Any difference in effects between them is, I believe, a placebo type effect.

CarterListens
04-01-16, 02:44 PM
I had to make a profile to respond when I found this.

I've had more success with Zenzedi, dextroamphetamine alone, than Adderall...I think. It's sure missing the side effects which I believe to be from the l-isomer amphetamine in the Adderall that doesn't even have CNS activity, just peripheral.

Anyway, it doesn't have the "kick" sometimes I don't even "notice it's working" know what I mean? Other times it affects me in a more noticeable way.

Anyway pt II... I've been taking Zenzedi brand name from the manufacturer Arbor pharmaceuticals believing generic to sometimes lack in quality and vary from supplier. Recently, my insurance decided that it was no longer necessary to support brand name, but to only cover generic. My pharmacist told me he would put in the order through "Willshire" because it was "basically the same pill"

I picked it up just today and it is the, same, exact, pill. Small, "peach," imprinted with 10MIA and the X to divide into fourths on the back.

Same pill. Turns out Willshire Pharmaceuticals USA subsidiary of its parent company, Arbor Pharmaceuticals, that makes generics.

So, companies are allowed to market a generic drug as name brand if they have the patent? (or vice-versa) The same exact drug? Like, exactly?

Costs me just $15 now and is half the cost of the "name brand" pill. Ha.

Wanted to share that for sure, but also wonder if you've tried just plain dextroamphetamine (just the d-isomer) before or what you have tried before, everyone!

jeeper541
04-06-16, 04:28 PM
The dextro from Zenzedi is manufactured by Wilshire.

WARNING - Unsolicited opinion incoming. (Yes, I know unsolicited opinions are worth what you pay for them.) Not Trolling.

I have only used the Zenzedi branded dextroamphetamine. With something like dextroamphetamine that has been around for such a long time and is closely regulated by the FDA and DEA, I can not believe there is any "real" difference between the different suppliers. Any difference in effects between them is, I believe, a placebo type effect.

I can assure you there is a vast difference between brands (atleastin my opinion). I can take a full 5mg willshire IR and feel great relief of symptoms and hardly notice I took anything. I can only handle breaking my 5mg Malikrodft into 3 pieces through out the day. If I take even a half its so strong my palms sweating. Completely different type of focus and also the MALL brand makes me fidgety and the Willshire very calming.

I had 30 of each and tried only one for a week, Tried them both on the same day and also one day of each and results where exactly as mentioned. I do not think placebo played any role with my hands actually sweating. everyone is different so I guess results would vary

Sickle
04-13-16, 04:28 PM
I took the brand 15 mg tablets of Zenzedi but then my pharmacy reneged and only covered 10 mg ones. To me, they were better by far but I ended up on Barr spansules 15 mg 2 times a day with 10 mg Zenzedi 3 times/day (Wilshire was the 10 mg Zenzedi. Same pill too and it is a sister company/generic wing to Arbor).

Protazoid
04-19-16, 09:32 AM
Current manufacturers of generic dextroamphetamine sulfate tablets 5/10mg:

Teva/Barr
Corepharma
Aurobindo
Malinckrodt
Wilshire/Mikart (Same pill as Zenzedi).

I haven't tride the Corepharma or Malinckrodt. I would assume the Corepharma would be a good generic since they manufacturer the brand name dexedrine spansules. Malinckrodt seems to have a good reputation.

Teva/Barr is indistinguishable to me from brand name orange shield GSK dexedrine tabs. Mikart/Wilshire (Zenzedi) seems to be more smooth IMO, but just as effective. I'm not sure if I prefer it or not.

Aurobindo has been terrible. Both the Dextroamphetamine and generic adderall tabs I have tried do nothing for me.

Some people think its a placebo effect, others tend to think some generics work better. The truth is probably some combination of the two.

If you want to experiment with different brands and ensure a specific type is in stock I suggest you become a regular with your friendly pharmacist and build a relationship with them. If you like Zenzedi have your doc write the script for it and state no substitution so the pharmacist has to fill with the brand.