View Full Version : Dex instant release vs spansules

jeeper541
03-09-16, 11:14 AM
I just got done trying adderall and wellbutrin both which side effects both greatly outweighed the benefits and made me feel like I had a blanket over my personality and killed my short term memory!

Now I am on 5mg IR dex two times per day generic by willshire and have another appointment with my doc soon and have considered asking for a extended release I guess they are called spansules ?? Anyway has anyone had good luck with the spansules I see alot of people seem to just be on the instant release. If so what is a good generic brand? I love my willshires I am on now they work great keep my head clear.

I reacted bad to Corepharma IR adderall and did better on the Sandoz ones

Just not sure if its even worth trying out the extended release

Thanks

aeon
03-09-16, 03:38 PM
Dex spansules are what I take, they are great, 60mg/day, all the brands are good.

Cheers,
Ian

Greyhound1
03-09-16, 10:49 PM
Many people prefer Malinkrodt for IR. That's what I take now but didn't notice any difference after being on Barr, I think? Sometimes my pharmacy fills my script with the 2 different makers. I can't really tell one from the other as far as efficacy.

For me, the kind of day I have seems to determine the effectiveness of my medication. Some few days, I wake clear headed and most other days it's brain fog. Following a sleep routine doesn't seem to make a difference either.

It's like some days, I wake up on the right side of the bed but most days it's on the wrong side. Meds don't help much when I get up on the really wrong side.

It's always been hard for me to determine my med. effectiveness since it varies everyday regardless of brand or keeping a routine. It goes from crap to pretty good depending which side of the bed I wake up on.:)

thomass
03-09-16, 10:56 PM
Many people prefer Malinkrodt for IR. That's what I take now but didn't notice any difference after being on Barr, I think? Sometimes my pharmacy fills my script with the 2 different makers. I can't really tell one from the other as far as efficacy.

For me, the kind of day I have seems to determine the effectiveness of my medication. Some few days, I wake clear headed and most other days it's brain fog. Following a sleep routine doesn't seem to make a difference either.

It's like some days, I wake up on the right side of the bed but most days it's on the wrong side. Meds don't help much when I get up on the really wrong side.

It's always been hard for me to determine my med. effectiveness since it varies everyday regardless of brand or keeping a routine. It goes from crap to pretty good depending which side of the bed I wake up on.:)

Very true!!

In reference to the spansules, aren't they more expensive? I guess that's something else to consider.

Greyhound1
03-10-16, 12:46 AM
Not sure about the costs of spanuals vs. IR. Always had the IR, it's only $10 a month and my insurance really sucks.

jeeper541
03-10-16, 12:30 PM

I have noticed this as well, seems my diet and protein intake seem to have a effect as well all of which I am working on dialing in for most effective results!

jeeper541
03-10-16, 12:32 PM
Dex spansules are what I take, they are great, 60mg/day, all the brands are good.

Cheers,
Ian

Thanks for the info I will ask to give them a try. Are you on 1 60mg per day?

jeeper541
03-10-16, 12:33 PM
Not sure about the costs of spanuals vs. IR. Always had the IR, it's only $10 a month and my insurance really sucks.

My IR cost me $15 with my insurance...not the best either but I consider that a small price to pay for the benefit I get from these.

sarahsweets
03-10-16, 05:19 PM
I take dex spansules 15mg four times a day and have for years.

Jenn1202
03-10-16, 06:36 PM
I'm on 5mg Dex ir (Zenzedi) and it works well, but it only lasts around 4 hours and then I need a booster dose. The problem with long acting dex is that I can't find a dose that actually works for me because the options are relatively limited (5mg, 10mg and 15mg). I 5mg extended release dex (Barr) but the dose was too low and 10 mg is too high for me. If dex er 7.5 mg existed it would probably work, but unfortunately it doesn't...

Jenn1202
03-10-16, 06:44 PM

As far as effectiveness goes Mallinckrodt and Barr work the same for me. I definitely feel like the level effectiveness depends on the day. The only difference between these two generics is that Mallinckrodt gives me more side effects, so I prefer Barr. Zenzedi seems to work better than Mallinckrodt and Barr, but it's expensive and difficult to find.

jeeper541
03-10-16, 06:45 PM
I take dex spansules 15mg four times a day and have for years.

How long does one does last for you?

aeon
03-10-16, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the info I will ask to give them a try. Are you on 1 60mg per day?

No, the highest dose per spansule is 15mg, so I take either 2 x 15mg x 2 times a day, or 4 x 15mg x 1 time a day.

Cheers,
Ian

sarahsweets
03-11-16, 02:34 AM
How long does one does last for you?

To be fair I have specific issues with how anything including meds are digested and processed due to a previous surgery. For me, the IR wouldnt make it past 2 hours and the spansules do not make it past 4 hours. So in order to get all day coverage I take 1 every 4 hours or so. I have a very early start to each day which may be why four times a day works better.

jeeper541
03-11-16, 11:28 AM
To be fair I have specific issues with how anything including meds are digested and processed due to a previous surgery. For me, the IR wouldnt make it past 2 hours and the spansules do not make it past 4 hours. So in order to get all day coverage I take 1 every 4 hours or so. I have a very early start to each day which may be why four times a day works better.

That makes sense. the Ir seems to get s solid 3-4 hours. I asked my doc today about it so hopefully I will get to try them. thanks for the input.

jeeper541
03-11-16, 03:00 PM
Does anyone know if there is a difference between ER and SR ? I have my prescription and found 10mg Mallinkroft one place said ER and another called them Sr and they said they are the same thing?

Greyhound1
03-11-16, 03:50 PM
Does anyone know if there is a difference between ER and SR ? I have my prescription and found 10mg Mallinkroft one place said ER and another called them Sr and they said they are the same thing?

I think they are the same. I believe ER stands for extended release and SR is for slow release which are spansules.

aeon
03-11-16, 06:39 PM
ER vs. SR depends on the med in question.

jeeper541
03-11-16, 07:11 PM
ER vs. SR depends on the med in question.

10mg generic dex

Greyhound1
03-11-16, 08:10 PM
10mg generic dex
It sounds like they probably refer to them as either SR for sustained-release or ER for extended release. The label refers to it both ways.

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/archives/fdaDrugInfo.cfm?archiveid=10917
DEXEDRINE - dextroamphetamine sulfate capsule, extended release
GlaxoSmithKline
----------

DEXEDRINEŽ
(dextroamphetamine sulfate)
SPANSULEŽ sustained-release capsules

jeeper541
03-12-16, 04:37 PM
Wow I took my first ER 10mg dose this morning and the first hour or 2 I was extremely agitated! after that wore off I am very calm and focused but holy crap that was pretty intense first couple hours! Is that something you just get used to or should I inquire about a smaller dose?

aeon
03-12-16, 05:00 PM
Wow I took my first ER 10mg dose this morning and the first hour or 2 I was extremely agitated! after that wore off I am very calm and focused but holy crap that was pretty intense first couple hours! Is that something you just get used to or should I inquire about a smaller dose?

If that was your first dose, you can attribute that all to placebo effect.

Start taking notes after 2 weeks, not 2 hours.

Cheers,
Ian

jeeper541
03-17-16, 11:34 AM
If that was your first dose, you can attribute that all to placebo effect.

Start taking notes after 2 weeks, not 2 hours.

Cheers,
Ian

Thanks for this comment I almost panicked and dropped them. After a few days the agitation was there for sure but it has subsided and the benefits are amazing I am glad I didnt give up! I am currently getting my 5mg Ir filled with mallinckrodt and hoping they are better then my will-shire for the afternoon dose

thomass
03-17-16, 02:55 PM
Do you prefer the spansules now?

jeeper541
03-18-16, 12:41 PM
I absolutely love my mallinckrodt XR now! I am not sure which I prefer yet but i am leaning towards the Xr because of the smoother delivery.

thomass
03-18-16, 12:45 PM
Cool. Keep us posted. I may ask my doctor if I can try the XR, but I tend to not like the extended stuff because of the crash. Have u experienced a rough crash on it?

jeeper541
03-18-16, 02:47 PM
Cool. Keep us posted. I may ask my doctor if I can try the XR, but I tend to not like the extended stuff because of the crash. Have u experienced a rough crash on it?

I have not experienced anything near as bad as the adderall crash I was getting. I noticed a slight bit of crashing on the first couple days and since then nothing besides ADD symptoms coming back.

Best of luck!