View Full Version : My opinion comparing Dexedrine (5mg 3x a day) to Ephedrine (8mg)

gonzolo
03-10-16, 03:39 PM
So it has been about 3 weeks since I got perscribed dexedrine 5mg 3 times per day, so I have had a good amount of time to assess it.
Prior to using dexedrine, I was prescribed Adderall for about 3 months (30mg , 10mg 3x per day).
Prior to being prescribed Adderall and diagnosed with ADD by a doctor, I used ephedrine with caffiene as my chief way to battle my ADD for years.

Ephedrine (ephedrine HCL) and Dexedrine (detroamphetamine sulfate) feel SOOO similar, that I almost cannot believe that Ephedrine can be purchased for $4.99 for 50 8mg pills (400mg total), while my Dexedrine prescription runs me $200 for 90 5mg pills (450mg). All because one is OTC and the other is Schedule 2.

Comparing Dexedrine with Ephedrine:
Dexedrine definitely feels very similar to ephedrine. Dexedrine definetly gives you a lot of mental stimulation, but unfortunately lacks any sort of physical energy component and in fact can make you feel more physically tired than before you took it. For me, Dexedrine makes my memory recall a lot worse/ harder.
Also, pairing Dexedrine with caffiene makes Dexedrine work a lot differently and takes away a lot of the mental stimulation that Dexedrine alone gives you.

Ephedrine by itself (8mg) is very similar in that it can make you more mellow/ relaxed. Ephedrine greatly increases your memory and ability to recall things much better. Ephedrine paired with caffiene works well and the caffiene simply gives you more physical energy, while the ephedrine gives you a sharp memory and a quick tongue.

Both ephedrine and Dexedrine feel very clean, and it is easy to feel the substance working. Its a shame Dexedrine is so expensive and a controlled substance, while ephedrine is OTC when both substances are so similar. They both have similar side effects if you take more than you are supposed to with some minor differeneces:

Ephedrine: Take too much and you might have a rapid heart beat and feel melancholia. Feel emotionless while having the energy and drive to "get stuff done".
When it wears off: Very similar to dexedrine, feel not inspired to do anything. Brain can't recall what a productive thing to do would be. Feel very lethargic, but no physical weakness like dexedrine.

Dexedrine: Take too much and you might get a very short lasting euphoria, and good mental stimulation. For the few hours that it is effective: Change feelings between feeling strongly motivated to do anything and feelings of emptiness/ depression.
When it wears of: feel like a zombie, really physically weak and not inspired to do anything, even activities you normally like to do to relax such as listen to music or watch TV. Brain can't remember what a good thing to do would be.

With Adderall, which is a mix of 4 different amphetamine salts, it feels completely different from Dexedrine or ephedrine over the course of a day, especially if you take 3 or four different doses throughout the day. Levoamphetamine with Dextroamphetamine is no comparison to just Dexedrine. Adderall is much stronger and effective, but with many more side effects.

With ephedrine or Dexedrine, because the experience is so clean you can easily add in supplements like vitamins and minerals and modulate your diet so you can get a reliable effect out of the medication. Also there is not much side effects as with adderall.

With adderall, you have 2 different amphetamine drugs in your system with different half lives, so you will be much more prone to mood changes, have more temper and agitation, be more impatient, and have more cardiovascular side effects.

sarahsweets
03-10-16, 04:55 PM
Is ephedrine a prescription only thing?

gonzolo
03-10-16, 05:47 PM
http://www.bronkaid.com/product-information/bronkaid-caplets-009.pdf

No ephedrine is over the counter, you can get it at any drug store or over the internet. Its found in Bronk-aid, which is at places like CVS or Walgreens OTC, just ask the pharmacist for it.

Bronkaid has some other drug in it too, so you should avoid it. I bought ephedrine Hydrochloride from some health supplement website a while back, it was so cheap too for $30 its like several years supply.

sarahsweets
03-11-16, 02:37 AM
I dont know, it just seems...unsafe? or at least something that should be done with a doctors approval and monitoring.

jeeper541
03-11-16, 12:50 PM
I took bronk aid when I was working out and as it does feel similar to adhd medication. It is not a simple as over the counter either, there is a age limit and it is kept behind counters and in the actual pharmacy which you have to show ID to purchase. It is regulated as a medication and banned in pure form for a reason. I would not recommend any one taking this stuff long term and it can have bad side effects. Even in the fitness world its rare people spend even 6 weeks on it. also yes without having a professional monitor you on it it can be dangerous

gonzolo
03-11-16, 03:12 PM
I keep my dose of ephedrine extremely low, since it comes in 8mg pills. To manage my ADHD at most I would take 16mg in a day in 2 doses split by 6 hours. It truly is all about the dose.

Regarding ephedrine being dangerous:

Its history is similar to that of other amphetamine products that are scheduled today and available only through prescription. The difference is, I believe that Ephedrine can't be patented by pharmacuetical companies so thats why its not scheduled.

Originally, I believe back 20-30 years ago ephedrine was the main ingredient in "Xenadrine" and similar weight loss products and found in stores nationwide. It got banned because I believe a Baseball player died of heart failure because he was on a lot of ephedrine while playing baseball in the hot sun. Once this happened, it got banned from being marketed as an ingredient in weight loss supplements.

Adderall IR was linked to several deaths of children in Canada due to sudden heart failure, causing it to be pulled (not sure if its still banned in Canada).

Obetrol, which was Adderall's predessesor was a mix of racemic methamphetamine and racemic amphetamine (25% d-meth, 25% l-meth, 37.5% d-amp, 12.5% l-amp), was prescribed for weight loss. Then Shire purchased the company, and changed around the formula to only l-amp and d-amp, and re-named it adderall and marketed it For ADHD.

I think that ephedrine can't be patented is the only reason why its not scheduled. It feels way too similar and effective as dexedrine, yet is much cheaper. Its also way safer than L-amphetamine is on the body. I think it is just as effective as ADHD medications that you can only go to the doctor for.

Plenty of people take ephedrine with caffiene in the fitness world, but normally at much higher doses while vigorously exersizing (up to 75mg ephedrine a day with 600 mg caffiene), hence the danger on the heart. Its the dose that makes it dangerous, not the drug itself. If people took any sort of ADHD medication to lose weight or workout, it would have similar strain on the cardiovascular system.

I'm talking about taking at most, a THIRD of the dose people take in the fitness world to manage your daily adhd symptoms. You don't need a doctor to monitor yourself if aren't reckless and taking it while doing extremely heavy physical activity.

Levoamphetamine and ephedrine are somewhat similar in that Levoamphetamine increases blood pressure, heart beat, and physical energy kind of like ephedrine, but levoamphetamine is much stronger and has a longer half life, yet it is prescribed for ADHD. Someone who takes 30 mg of Adderall is taking 7.5mg levoamphetamine daily.
I would think that this would be an equivalent of taking 40 or 50 mg of ephedrine daily in terms of strain on heart/ cardiovascular system.

I would never use Bronk-aid since it has Guaifenesin 400 mg in it in addition to the 25mg ephedrine sulfate.

Ephedrine is completely legal to purchase online, and in the drug stores its kept "behind the counter" but it is still OTC. The "age limit" is 18 years old, so I don't think anyone here is in high school so no one has to worry about that.

ginniebean
03-11-16, 03:23 PM
I have tried ephedrine and I experience no similarity to dex. Not even close. I'm wildly sensitive to caffeine and can never have it again.

What works for one person may be poison to someone else.

gonzolo
03-11-16, 03:52 PM
Overall I made this thread to simply give my opinion. A lot of these ADHD medications out on the market now exist solely because of "Patents", not because they are safer or work better. I tried dexedrine IR by itself, and on a seperate day took ephedrine by itself, and the effectiveness in managing my ADHD symptoms is about equivalent. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but both are about equivalent in their pro's and con's for managing my ADHD. I'll keep both in my arsenal, as some days I would prefer effects of one over the other. I feel like all these meds should be OTC, and I shouldn't have to jump through so many hoops just to get a medication that helps me.

Have you heard of the new ADHD medication Evekeo (Amphetamine Sulfate)? It is 50% levoamphetamine and 50% dextroamphetamine. This is literally the same exact thing as the illegal street drug "speed" as they have in Europe (amphetamine sulfate), only in a pure pharmaceutical form. This medication sound way more dangerous to me than ephedrine due to all that levoamphetamine.

I bet once the patent for Evekeo runs out, they will come up with 75% levoamphetamine and 25% dextro amphetamine, or some other random combination just to continue the patent.

jeeper541
03-11-16, 06:18 PM
I keep my dose of ephedrine extremely low, since it comes in 8mg pills. To manage my ADHD at most I would take 16mg in a day in 2 doses split by 6 hours. It truly is all about the dose.

Regarding ephedrine being dangerous:

Its history is similar to that of other amphetamine products that are scheduled today and available only through prescription. The difference is, I believe that Ephedrine can't be patented by pharmacuetical companies so thats why its not scheduled.

Originally, I believe back 20-30 years ago ephedrine was the main ingredient in "Xenadrine" and similar weight loss products and found in stores nationwide. It got banned because I believe a Baseball player died of heart failure because he was on a lot of ephedrine while playing baseball in the hot sun. Once this happened, it got banned from being marketed as an ingredient in weight loss supplements.

Adderall IR was linked to several deaths of children in Canada due to sudden heart failure, causing it to be pulled (not sure if its still banned in Canada).

Obetrol, which was Adderall's predessesor was a mix of racemic methamphetamine and racemic amphetamine (25% d-meth, 25% l-meth, 37.5% d-amp, 12.5% l-amp), was prescribed for weight loss. Then Shire purchased the company, and changed around the formula to only l-amp and d-amp, and re-named it adderall and marketed it For ADHD.

I think that ephedrine can't be patented is the only reason why its not scheduled. It feels way too similar and effective as dexedrine, yet is much cheaper. Its also way safer than L-amphetamine is on the body. I think it is just as effective as ADHD medications that you can only go to the doctor for.

Plenty of people take ephedrine with caffiene in the fitness world, but normally at much higher doses while vigorously exersizing (up to 75mg ephedrine a day with 600 mg caffiene), hence the danger on the heart. Its the dose that makes it dangerous, not the drug itself. If people took any sort of ADHD medication to lose weight or workout, it would have similar strain on the cardiovascular system.

I'm talking about taking at most, a THIRD of the dose people take in the fitness world to manage your daily adhd symptoms. You don't need a doctor to monitor yourself if aren't reckless and taking it while doing extremely heavy physical activity.

Levoamphetamine and ephedrine are somewhat similar in that Levoamphetamine increases blood pressure, heart beat, and physical energy kind of like ephedrine, but levoamphetamine is much stronger and has a longer half life, yet it is prescribed for ADHD. Someone who takes 30 mg of Adderall is taking 7.5mg levoamphetamine daily.
I would think that this would be an equivalent of taking 40 or 50 mg of ephedrine daily in terms of strain on heart/ cardiovascular system.

I would never use Bronk-aid since it has Guaifenesin 400 mg in it in addition to the 25mg ephedrine sulfate.

Ephedrine is completely legal to purchase online, and in the drug stores its kept "behind the counter" but it is still OTC. The "age limit" is 18 years old, so I don't think anyone here is in high school so no one has to worry about that.

Alot of member here are probably in high school ive seen alot of post referring to high school anyways... If it works for you great but do some research on prostate enlargement and other side effects there are 100s of these posts on fitness forums of people having lots of bad side effects and I am not saying any one drug is safer then another. It just seems like a bad idea to post things when tons of people who read this might go and self medicate without doing proper research and cause harm to themselves.

you can defend it all you like (even tho there is no reason to do so) I was not trying to bash it just pass along some first hand knowledge and also my opinion on it.

Glad it worked for you I am sure its nice having it for certain days

TheGreatKing
04-02-16, 04:34 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephedrine
good article