View Full Version : feel bad asking for time off

Nachons
03-11-16, 03:48 PM
i meant to ask for the next week off work. just cause it's been getting too much being there full time and i am getting super depressed about things. but wednesday my boss gave me a bunch of things to do this week and next 'cause he's going out of town.

i don't know, it seems like there's never a good time to ask, and here it's friday and it'll be another week and a half before i can even ask for the following week off...

(really i want 3 months off to do things but i feel like i wouldn't be hired back at the end of it probably :o )

how do i do it, why does it have to be like pulling teeth? i know there are deadlines and stuff but how do people get by with just the weekends for breaks?

midnightstar
03-11-16, 04:41 PM
I know some people pull sickies just to get a break from work. Not advisable though.

What's the system for requesting holidays? Do you have to put them in on a computer, talk to the boss and have them write them in a book?

Nachons
03-11-16, 05:44 PM
What's the system for requesting holidays? Do you have to put them in on a computer, talk to the boss and have them write them in a book?

it's not formal like that, i accumulate vacation time based on the number of hours i work. then i ask the boss if i can have time off. i wish there was a computer to punch this into 'cause asking the boss face to face is awful for me. he always seems dumbfounded that i want to take time off. i work in a research lab and he loves his job. most people are here more than they are at home; i like the job for what it is, but i'm really not so gung-ho about anything like my coworkers are :L

Swordson
03-19-16, 05:18 AM
I think this varies from job to job (and country to country.) I have actually forced myself to ask for more time off (I have so much comp-time and unused vacation days.) I find it gets easier, and my boss respects that I want to use "my time" as long as I give him some warning and show that I have a plan for how I am going to deliver on my assignments despite the time off.

stef
03-19-16, 05:24 AM
Its a given that people take holiday in august here so that part is ok
But we have over 4 weeks vacation. I mean its the law.
I have days left but my boss will have forgotten and i feel bad asking. I used to lose days.

Fuzzy12
03-19-16, 07:10 AM
Give your boss more notice. Announce your annual leave as much as possible in advance so that he can't load you with work in the last minute.

Otherwise take shorter leave, maybe just a few days.

I sometimes consider taking leave just to relax and rest but I never do because I know that when I go back to work I'll just have even more work to finish and stress. My working hours are more flexible though so on some days I can have a lie in at least.

Pilgrim
03-19-16, 07:19 PM
Don't know if this is the right place for this , I have only been at my current job for about 6 months and I need to take a couple of days off because I've run out of medication.

Any ideas by you guys would be appreciated?

ginniebean
03-19-16, 07:21 PM
Don't do it while your boss is gone. Suck it up! Don't sabotage yourself. You'll make it.

Swordson
03-20-16, 06:52 AM
It is what it is - ADHD is just as valid a reason to take necessary time off as any other condition. We try not to, because we don't want it to be in control of our lives, but we have to manage it properly, and sometimes that means knowing when you need some time.

acdc01
03-20-16, 07:20 AM
Don't know if this is the right place for this , I have only been at my current job for about 6 months and I need to take a couple of days off because I've run out of medication.

Any ideas by you guys would be appreciated?

I agree with swordson. IF you've past your probation period, I'd just call in sick if you don't have vacation and you know taking a couple sick days off won't upset people more than can affect your reputation at your company. Mental health days off are valid even if some people don't think they are or some people abuse that right.

OP, I wouldn't take the sick days off when your boss is gone if there is no one to substitute for you, if you need too many days, or if it will hurt your reputation. Can you email requests for vacation? If so, I'd put in that request now.

Pilgrim
03-20-16, 05:22 PM
I have passed the ' are you any good will we keep you period ' , I appreciate you guys responding,
I have gone past the point where I rely on meds for almost everything , but what I do requires a certain amount of precision, planning and a number of other things.

I will contact the guy now.

TheGreatKing
03-20-16, 10:11 PM
i always feel guilty asking for time off even if i have earned it lol
i dunno why that is.
if you need the time off really bad then you should take it off to relax and reset yourself.
but ya just plan ahead for next time :P

Pilgrim
03-22-16, 04:22 AM
i always feel guilty asking for time off even if i have earned it lol
i dunno why that is.
if you need the time off really bad then you should take it off to relax and reset yourself.
but ya just plan ahead for next time :P

I took the day off. Bludger we call it here. My dr came through in fine style. Glad I didn't go to work today, I might have accidentally ripped someone's head off. Just joking.
Thank you for your responses and I will try to plan it out better next time.

KarmanMonkey
03-22-16, 02:09 PM
Maybe ask your coworkers how they ask the boss for time off. Most people have a preferred communication style; one person might like everything in writing/e-mail, another might respond better to a person who sticks their head into their office. Some prefer just the point blank ask, some need the details.

The better you know your boss's preferred communication style, the easier it will get to ask for the time, and more importantly get the time when you need it.

I try and give as much notice as I can, but in my current role I can be a lot more point blank with my boss. Not quite:

"Hey boss! I need next week off or I'll switch from being staff to being patient"

But more like:

"Hey boss! I've been noticing I haven't been 100% lately, and I've decided that I need some time off next week to engage in some self-care"

In your situation you could say something like:

"I realize you'll be away next week. I was originally intending to ask for that week off to recharge. I understand it would be tough to have both of us away in the same week, but I was hoping that there might be someone else you could delegate some of the work to, as I'm worried that I might not be 100% and I'd rather ask for this now than take it all on and risk letting you down."

The key is to show that you are being mindful of your limitations while being respectful of his needs as an employer.

As a boss I'd much rather have someone ask for vacation time than not take it when they need it and ending up taking sick time as a result. Not all employers feel that way, though, and your hesitation may be warranted. I've had bosses tear a strip off of me for wanting 30min off at the end of a day because a doctor's appointment that got rescheduled. I've had other ones that don't care what hours I keep as long as I put in the right number of hours.