View Full Version : Looking for an Agent/Business Partner

Noitartst
03-12-16, 01:28 AM
I'm planning on sending out the following ads to get an agent/business partner, and was hoping for some feedback, on making them into a winner.

Okay—here are the ads to date:

If you are someone good at marketing, let's work together--I could use you NOW.

If you like working with talented, intelligent people, good conversations and greater camaraderie, we should talk. I you like what you see on my blog at [site address] we need to talk even quicker. If you love my work on my musical...hurry to me now, friend. Good marketing, like good writing, is all about sharing, and together, we have an excellent something to contribute.

I love to write, but if I had greater, more relevant audience, I'd love it even more. Like Mike Mulligan, I tend to work a little faster, and a little better with a crowd watching, and that's your strong suit--price label rights, site development, ads, & promotion--all your domain. You enjoy helping people--particularly talented ones--reach their full potential, and that's where we share common ground.

I love to make people think--be challenged--have their worldview stretched, but such joys are not for all, and I intend to reach that rarefied few. I say we do so together, and have a blast, doing so.

Beyond this, I have a whole mess of book, and musical, ideas for us to work on. I can do product reviews, show reviews, and book reviews. I can do social commentary, political commentary, and even satire. I can do personal. I can do witty. I persuade, or I can just give an opinion.
In short, I can do a lot-- be it in an ebook setting, or otherwise--just try me, friend.

But simply put, you develop the website, you promote the site, the content, find paying gigs. Me, I write said content--unga, bunga.

Sincerely, noitartst

.................................................. .................................................. ......................
Does that answer all relevant questions? What type of folks would be willing, and able--to help me?

I'm thinking of ads on Craigslist (which part, I'm deliberating, on) and various other sites, and forums, but first I'm seeking to develop a winning ad. Hey, I could even do an SEO-ed ad on YouTube.

I'm also thinking life coaches, maybe social workers, even, and I'll need to tailor this ad to them.

…................................................. .................................................. .................................................
Here's an ad tailored to appeal to professional social workers:

Okay. You like to help people with mental disabilities, but it gets a little boring after a while—doesn't it? Well, I'm not boring, I can assure. I'm one smart-as-a-whip Aspie, as I think both my blog and musical will swiftly show, and for whatever happens, you won't suffer for boredom.

Simply put, I'm a challenge, and if you like a challenge, then I'm for you. If not, please don't bother either of us. I'm hungry for success with an S, and if you are too, that's good.

If you don't like helping folks whose only upside is to attain 1st grade education—or below—and are seeking someone with real upside—that would be me. As is, my mother, a lifelong elementary school teacher, would come home from hard day with grade-schoolers, and enjoy talking to me, given she was tired of talking to the brain dead. I'm anything but, and if you wish to help enable someone like that, as opposed to constantly cleaning up drool...need I say more?

If you're into writing science, the arts—bully for you—I love them all, and would love to espouse on such topics all day. If you wish to make a profit off that friend—setup some webinars/seminars, and lets just see if I'm as interesting as I think I am

What you are doing, friend, is simply facilitating the strengths that I already posses, namely writing, thinking, analysis, and oh yes, creativity. My kind of lifestyle is to study a little, write a little, and play a little—and get funded for what I love doing—just as described.

I write, you promote; I'm interested in a lot of things, including marketing, but doing so just isn't as interesting, and it diverts from what I really want to do in life, so that's where you come in. Focus on your strengths, and ignore your weaknesses—it's a key to Success, and I say we follow it.

Above all, I write with one intent. Simply put, I love to make people think--be challenged--have their worldview stretched, but such joys are not for all, and I intend to reach that rarefied few. Let us do so together, and have a blast.

Beyond this, I have a whole mess of book, and musical, ideas for us to work on. I can do product reviews, show reviews, and book reviews. I can do social commentary, political commentary, and even satire. I can do personal. I can do witty. I persuade, or I can just give an opinion.
In short, I can do a lot-- be it in an ebook setting, or otherwise--just try me, friend.

SO...

Let's get started!!!

namazu
03-12-16, 01:55 AM
a) If you are planning to pay this person, or to give them a cut of future earnings, it might help to mention that.

b) Your comments insinuating that you're so much more worthy of people's time than "brain dead" people who drool don't make me think more highly of you; they have the opposite effect. Maybe they'd appeal to the kinds of people you'd want to work with... But both on principle (the principle being that it's unkind and possibly self-defeating to belittle people with disabilities), and for practical reasons, if you're targeting "do-gooders" who will want to help you for peanuts because you're so worthy of their time, you might want to try to pitch your idea without those comments.

c) Everyone has an opinion these days, and distinguishing yourself can be difficult. It might be helpful to mention specific types of content you could contribute that would be different from things other people are already doing in a million places on the web. Maybe some of that's in your portfolio on your website already, but if not, that's something you could possibly add or at least be sure to mention when you talk to people.

d) Why would social workers be interested in marketing your work, and would they have the right skillset? You might have better luck with a college business or communications major who might think this would be a fun project (and who might also have useful social media skills, and might not expect to be paid as much as someone with advanced degrees).

e) Make the pitch shorter. (Not my forte, either...but people tend to prefer shorter messages.)

f) I think you mean "expound upon", not "espouse on".

namazu
03-12-16, 03:32 AM
Another thought -- have you thought about putting together a gofundme or kickstarter-type site?

I don't have personal experience using them, and I'm not sure whether either would fit your needs (can't remember if gofundme is primarily for nonprofit-type endeavors...?). Still, if you're just looking for funding to do what you love to do, and happy to get monetary support from whomever thinks your ideas are good, and want to search widely for potential supporters, then it might be a possibility. I think that with kickstarter, there's usually an explicit promise to give something to investors, which could be something like tickets to your musical...but again, I'm not sure.

Noitartst
03-12-16, 11:43 PM
a) If you are planning to pay this person, or to give them a cut of future earnings, it might help to mention that.

b) Your comments insinuating that you're so much more worthy of people's time than "brain dead" people who drool don't make me think more highly of you; they have the opposite effect. Maybe they'd appeal to the kinds of people you'd want to work with... But both on principle (the principle being that it's unkind and possibly self-defeating to belittle people with disabilities), and for practical reasons, if you're targeting "do-gooders" who will want to help you for peanuts because you're so worthy of their time, you might want to try to pitch your idea without those comments.

c) Everyone has an opinion these days, and distinguishing yourself can be difficult. It might be helpful to mention specific types of content you could contribute that would be different from things other people are already doing in a million places on the web. Maybe some of that's in your portfolio on your website already, but if not, that's something you could possibly add or at least be sure to mention when you talk to people.

d) Why would social workers be interested in marketing your work, and would they have the right skillset? You might have better luck with a college business or communications major who might think this would be a fun project (and who might also have useful social media skills, and might not expect to be paid as much as someone with advanced degrees).

e) Make the pitch shorter. (Not my forte, either...but people tend to prefer shorter messages.)

f) I think you mean "expound upon", not "espouse on".
Espouse: Support. Expound: To explain.
Thank you; I'll rework my ad, see what you think.

Noitartst
03-13-16, 12:11 AM
Okay—here are the ads reworked:

If you are someone good at marketing, let's work together--I could use you NOW.

If you like working with talented, intelligent people, good conversations and greater camaraderie, we should talk. I you like what you see on my blog at [site address] we need to talk even quicker. If you love my work on my musical...hurry to me now, friend. Good marketing, like good writing, is all about sharing, and together, we have an excellent something to contribute.

I love to write, but if I had greater, more relevant audience, I'd love it even more. Like Mike Mulligan, I tend to work a little faster, and a little better with a crowd watching, and that's your strong suit--price label rights, site development, ads, & promotion--all your domain. You enjoy helping people--particularly talented ones--reach their full potential, and that's where we share common ground.

I love to make people think--be challenged--have their worldview stretched, but such joys are not for all, and I intend to reach that rarefied few. I say we do so together, and have a blast, doing so.

In short, I can do a lot-- be it in an ebook setting, or otherwise--just try me, friend, and percentages are negotiable.

But simply put, you develop the website, you promote the site, the content, find paying gigs. Me, I write said content--unga, bunga.

Sincerely, Noitartst

.................................................. .................................................. ......................
Does that answer all relevant questions? What type of folks would be willing, and able--to help me?

I'm thinking of ads on Craigslist (which part, I'm deliberating, on) and various other sites, and forums, but first I'm seeking to develop a winning ad. Hey, I could even do an SEO-ed ad on YouTube.

I'm also thinking life coaches, maybe social workers, even, and I'll need to tailor this ad to them.

…................................................. .................................................. .................................................
Here's an ad tailored to appeal to professional social workers:

Okay. You like to help people with mental disabilities, but it gets a little boring after a while—doesn't it? Well, I'm not boring, I can assure. I'm one smart-as-a-whip Aspie, as I think both my blog and musical will swiftly show, and for whatever happens, you won't suffer for boredom.

Simply put, I'm a challenge, and if you like a challenge, then I'm for you. If not, please don't bother either of us. I'm hungry for success with an S, and if you are too, that's good.

If you don't like helping folks whose only upside is to attain 1st grade education—or below—and are seeking someone with real upside—that would be me. As is, my mother, a lifelong elementary school teacher, would come home from hard day with grade-schoolers, and enjoy talking to me, given she was tired of talking to the un-educated. I'm anything but, and if you wish to help enable someone like that, as opposed to someone of far-lower cognitive abilities...need I say more?

If you're into writing science, the arts—bully for you—I love them all, and would love to espouse on such topics all day. If you wish to make a profit off that friend—setup some webinars/seminars, and lets just see if I'm as interesting as I think I am

What you are doing, friend, is simply facilitating the strengths that I already posses, namely writing, thinking, analysis, and oh yes, creativity. My kind of lifestyle is to study a little, write a little, and play a little—and get funded for what I love doing—just as described.

I write, you promote; I'm interested in a lot of things, including marketing, but doing so just isn't as interesting, and it diverts from what I really want to do in life, so that's where you come in. Focus on your strengths, and ignore your weaknesses—it's a key to Success, and I say we follow it.

Above all, I write with one intent. Simply put, I love to make people think--be challenged--have their worldview stretched, but such joys are not for all, and I intend to reach that rarefied few. Let us do so together, and have a blast.

SO...

Let's get started!!!

Also, keep in mind, Namazu, I'm trying to find a business partner to share we me in the risk, as well as the reward. From your response, I guess I didn't make that clear.

namazu
03-13-16, 12:40 AM
Hmm....

I would still eliminate this paragraph altogether:
If you don't like helping folks whose only upside is to attain 1st grade education—or below—and are seeking someone with real upside—that would be me. As is, my mother, a lifelong elementary school teacher, would come home from hard day with grade-schoolers, and enjoy talking to me, given she was tired of talking to the un-educated. I'm anything but, and if you wish to help enable someone like that, as opposed to someone of far-lower cognitive abilities...need I say more?

It doesn't add anything positive that you haven't already said in some other way, and it makes you sound full of yourself. (<-- Harsh, I know, but I'm trying to give you my honest reaction to help you put your best foot forward.)

Also, keep in mind, Namazu, I'm trying to find a business partner to share we me in the risk, as well as the reward. From your response, I guess I didn't make that clear.
Reading the ads and trying to put myself in the shoes of a potential collaborator -- I see primarily risk.

If you're truly looking for a straight-up business partner, I'm really not seeing the value of targeting social workers or life coaches. (They already have jobs.) If you're looking for someone to work with you in some kind of therapeutic/coaching capacity, you will probably have to pay for it (unless you can revisit the idea of working with the Foresters or some other organization).

I still think you might be better off adding a "donations" button to your existing website or starting a kickstarter page to fund one of your projects (like the musical, or a series of seminars on a particular topic that you think you can present better than anyone else).

Fuzzy12
03-13-16, 03:04 AM
No offense but to be honest I'd cut out completely the first 3 paragraphs in the social worker ad. They don't make it sound like you are easy or pleasant to work with. Also, before you post it read it very carefully and get rid of all typos and grammatical errors.

Might it help to add what qualities, in particular, you are looking for in a partner?

Also, I wonder if it would appeal to more people if you made the whole text tighter, ie more to the point and much, much more specific.

I like the first ad, the one where you mention what exactly you want from a partner.

acdc01
03-15-16, 03:08 PM
I agree with fuzzy. I like your first ad better. Do you have a musical up on your website already? If you do, not sure that's wise just in case of plagiarists. If you don't I'd take out that sentence about them liking your musical.

Also I looked briefly at your website before they took down the link. I felt like there wasn't a strong enough central theme/topic to your blog that would attract a large audience. Note, I'm no expert on blogs though so take my comments with a grain of salt.