View Full Version : switched from adderall to concerta...trying to find equivalent dose...

m1lk4774
03-12-16, 01:46 AM
i used to be prescribed Adderall IR 10mg, 5x daily, in the US. it worked many wonders.
i moved to the philippines a couple of years ago, where Adderall is not available. after showing her my old prescrip, she put me on concerta. currently i am taking 36mg daily, but the duration sucks (6+ hours), and the effects are not as prominent, even when taken with tyrosine, and deanol. all i really get is calm, and lethargic. it lacks that "push" that Adderall gave me to complete school-related tasks (taking nursing studies).

my current doctor here wont raise my dose. and i am thinking about visiting my old doctor in the US very soon, and telling him about this. wondering if i should. also, wondering what the dose equivalent is?

namazu
03-12-16, 02:02 AM
These are different medications -- one is amphetamine based, the other is methylphenidate. There is no direct dosage conversion between them.

When you talk to your old doctor, tell him what you said here about the current dose (36mg) having a short duration and making you lethargic and see what the doc says. It's possible that a higher dose, the addition of a booster in the afternoon/evening, or another medication might improve things.

While in the US, you could perhaps go back on Adderall, but if you're only in the States for a short period, that won't work as a long-term solution.

m1lk4774
03-12-16, 02:29 AM
These are different medications -- one is amphetamine based, the other is methylphenidate. There is no direct dosage conversion between them.

When you talk to your old doctor, tell him what you said here about the current dose (36mg) having a short duration and making you lethargic and see what the doc says. It's possible that a higher dose, the addition of a booster in the afternoon/evening, or another medication might improve things.

While in the US, you could perhaps go back on Adderall, but if you're only in the States for a short period, that won't work as a long-term solution.

the only meds available here are Concerta, Ritalin and Ritalin LA...and its not even sold in all pharmacies (i have to travel an hour to another town just for this :( ). ill only be in the states for a few days, so going back to adderall is out the question.

please explain this "booster"?

it really is unfortunate that its not available here, and i was told by one of the pharmacists its because of the meth plague. ******* tweakers :mad: always ruining everything.

namazu
03-12-16, 02:33 AM
Yeah, it stinks when your options are limited. :(

In this context, by "booster", I mean a second dose of medication later in the day.

It's very common for even the "long-acting" medications like Concerta and Ritalin LA not to last as long as advertised. Some doctors will prescribe an additional dose (either of the same long-acting medication, or more commonly, of a short-acting version with the same active ingredient) to be taken just before the first dose wears off. So, in this case, you might take 36mg of Concerta in the morning, and then a dose of Ritalin in the afternoon to give you another 2-4 hours of symptom control during the day.

If the Concerta really doesn't work for you, a booster won't fix that, but it may help with the problem of the medication wearing off too early. Also, some people find that short-acting Ritalin works better for them than Concerta, even though they have the same active ingredient (methylphenidate), so it might be worth trying.