View Full Version : Taking ritalin not the way your psychiatrist told you to

Ironklaus
03-12-16, 04:24 AM
Hi. I have a tretment related question. Is there anyone who doesnt use her or his meds as the psychiatrist said?

For example I should take ritalin ir 10 mg x 3.

But I take 5 mg couple of times. 5 mg has less bad effects on my heart. Also I take 5 mg before sleep. This way I wake up with energy. But I never take more than 30 mg a day. Since my psychiatrist wanted me to take 10x3=30.

Vector
03-12-16, 04:55 AM
Yes, of course you should take 5mg in stead of 10mg in your case at this stage. Just let the person who prescribed you the ritalin know that you take a lower dosage via email, telephone, or when you see him/her next time. I'm sure they will say it is okay.

Ironklaus
03-12-16, 05:01 AM
Yes, of course you should take 5mg in stead of 10mg in your case at this stage. Just let the person who prescribed you the ritalin know that you take a lower dosage via email, telephone, or when you see him/her next time. I'm sure they will say it is okay.

My psychiatrist is very serious about me taking 10 mgx3.
I told him about my problems when I take 10 but he didnt care. He insisted 5 mg doesnt have any good effect. He said I should take 10. So I just take the meds like I want now.

Fuzzy12
03-12-16, 05:10 AM
Maybe you should consider changing psychiatrists. I don't understand why they'd have a problem with you taking 5 instead of 10 at a time.

Ironklaus
03-12-16, 05:40 AM
Maybe you should consider changing psychiatrists. I don't understand why they'd have a problem with you taking 5 instead of 10 at a time.

He said if i want to be cured from add in a year i should do what he says and take 10x3.
He said if I dont take my meds 10x3 I wont be cured and i am wasting my time.
But I continue taking 5 because my heart and mood goes bad when I take 10. Maybe I start taking 10 later when my body can take it.

sarahsweets
03-12-16, 07:36 AM
He said if i want to be cured from add in a year i should do what he says and take 10x3.
But I continue taking 5 because my heart and mood goes bad when I take 10. Maybe I start taking 10 later when my body can take it.

I think we've discussed this before but there's no cure for adhd.

Fuzzy12
03-12-16, 07:43 AM

You won't be cured irespective of the dose. He doesn't understand how the meds work. Or adhd. The aim is always to take the lowest dose with which you can achieve adequate symptom control.

Also the typical procedure is to start with a low dose and gradually increase it but that is again to achieve symptom control..never to cure adhd.

Could you get a new psychiatrist? I'm afraid he is not just wasting your time but also making decisions that might be detrimental to your health.