View Full Version : Extreme tiredness after work

EuropeanADHD
03-13-16, 10:14 AM
Not sure whether the problem is related to ADD, but it might be - it's known that we tend to lose a lot of energy on overanalysing and that it's difficult for us to relax.

I've been working as a consultant for some time now, but only started my first assignment abroad a few weeks ago. I spend weekdays abroad at client's site, weekends at home. I enjoy the project, but I'm growingly tired. Airports and constant packing exhaust me. I make silly mistakes provoking extra costs frequently, like I forget to book my baggage, which upsets me a lot and makes me feel like an idiot. The project is demanding, very stressful, a lot of conflicts involved I have to deal with. I love challenges, but the need to fight constantly and to convince both my manager and client's managers I know what I'm doing, makes me tired. It's a lot about relationships and most people have huge egos, so I have to be very careful in order to do my work but avoid hurting someone's feelings, because then my assessment will be bad/ the relationship with client will suffer. I've spend this weekend working and/or thinking about work again.

It's only a few weeks and I feel so tired I can hardly deal with it. When I come back from the office to the hotel I just want to sleep. I don't spend more than 8-9 h in the office, cause I simply can't, I'm too tired. (I frequently continue working at least a bit at home afterwards).

So, let's say I reach my hotel at 5-6 pm on average. I've no energy to meet my friends, to read something, to do sports, it's hard for me even to force myself to take a shower. Weekends aren't better.

I avoid drinking alcohol - I feel even more tired when I drink. I cut down on coffee because when I drink it I have to drink every day more. I try to eat healthy food, avoid snacks. Anything else I could do?

KarmanMonkey
03-15-16, 03:53 PM
The way I see it there are a few options:
1) If it's temporary, see if there's a way to get extra help at home so your lack of productivity isn't as impactful. Alternately, see if you can do a labour swap with someone at home. For example, if my brain is baked, I can still do the gardening and the mowing, but I might need my wife to do some of the other stuff. Or if I'm physically exhausted I can still deal with paperwork or fold laundry...

2) Try to conserve energy at work where you can. Since it's your first assignment abroad, you're probably like me and so determined to prove yourself that you don't take proper breaks, and give everything you have. That's not a sustainable strategy. Find ways to take breaks, to slow down a bit, so you still have something left at the end of the day. Since you're working at the client's site, see if there are any resources you can make use of (e.g. a proper and quiet space to work, someone to take notes at meetings, coffee iv you can have hooked up to your arm, whatever) Often if you don't ask, they don't offer.

3) Consider tweaking your meds. I changed a while ago because I was basically washing out at 4pm, which meant I was basically unmedicated at home. Breaking up my med times a bit substantially improved my productivity and energy in my home life.

Hope this helps!

stef
03-15-16, 05:01 PM
Honestly I'm just drained after a full day of work.
I like my job but i have to deal with lots of people and well just focus all day long!

i make dinner that's it usually. i rarely go out on weeknights.

EuropeanADHD
03-17-16, 02:25 PM
Thank you for your answers.

I don't take drugs at this point. When I do, they help a lot, but for different reasons that's not an option now.

I'm still studying - doing an additional M.A. So I spend every second weekend at the university. I should be spending at least some time during the week preparing for classes. But I come back to the hotel and want to go to bed.

It's not temporary - the project will last at least half a year more, probably longer - I can't change it unless I change my job.

I would love to conserve my energy when I can... But I only come to terms with my tasks during the 8 h of work if I work really intensively and the client is a pain... He wants to control everything I'm doing, like every second, cause "he pays me".

sarek
03-18-16, 03:27 AM
I am afraid there is not much to be done about the basic pattern. This is quite something ADDers have to learn to somehow live with.

Along the fringes there are a number of things you can do to take a little chunk out of your tiredness:

1) regular meditation. If you keep that up, it will benefit you.
2) exercise, especially if you can fit in short bursts throughout the day.
3) Do you have any chance to take wheat out of your dinner? Wheat is a major culprit.

KarmanMonkey
03-18-16, 09:03 AM
My only comment at the moment is that he pays you. He does not own you. He hired you based on your skills and abilites. If he gives you a certain amount of trust that you can get the job done without constant input, and that you will not hesitate to approach him if you need something, the work will go much faster with less involvement from him.

It sounds like for the sake of your health and sanity, you may need to set some boundaries with him. Maybe ask him if he's seen you work enough to know that you have the skills he needs, and perhaps you requre less supervision and he can get back to some of his regular tasks which have surely piled up with all the time he's spent with you...

Stevuke79
03-18-16, 10:15 AM
Are u on adderall?

I'm on adderall and most days I need a 30 minute lunchtime nap. I call it my adderall nap. I'm pretty sure that it's an accepted fact that adderal makes one tired.

Little Missy
03-18-16, 12:28 PM
Are u on adderall?

I'm on adderall and most days I need a 30 minute lunchtime nap. I call it my adderall nap. I'm pretty sure that it's an accepted fact that adderal makes one tired.

Gotta have the Adderall nap!

Stevuke79
03-18-16, 12:42 PM
Gotta have the Adderall nap!

I'm seriously not kidding! It feels like something a little kid would do .. like in kindergarten we had nap time.. but it's a NECCESSITY!

Do you do it to?
(while we're on the topic, does anyone else do the "adderall nap".)

(I think this is still on topic,,.. but I do see that the OP said that he's actually not on meds and i don't want the OP to feel i am derailing the thread.)

Little Missy
03-18-16, 03:49 PM
I'm seriously not kidding! It feels like something a little kid would do .. like in kindergarten we had nap time.. but it's a NECCESSITY!

Do you do it to?
(while we're on the topic, does anyone else do the "adderall nap".)

(I think this is still on topic,,.. but I do see that the OP said that he's actually not on meds and i don't want the OP to feel i am derailing the thread.)

Yes! I'm serious. I HAVE to take a 10 or 15 minute nap every day and I go dead out and wake up bolt upright and ready to go again.

Little Missy
03-18-16, 04:23 PM
And yes, it is at lunchtime. I always post about it in the chitty chat section.

Did NOT mean to derail. Steve did it!

EuropeanADHD
05-13-16, 12:09 AM
You know, I still have that problem after 2 more months on the project. I start at around 8:30 am, come back to the hotel at around 5 pm, which is a very reasonable time I think. I go to buy something to eat, eat it and go to bed. I fall asleep at about 8-9 pm.

I haven't lived like that since I was in primary school...

I'm single now, would like to start dating again. The problem is I'm too tired for that.

Little Nut
05-13-16, 10:03 AM
I worked overseas for an extended period. What helped to keep the batteries recharged during the routine work times was socializing with other xpats. Cooking/eating, drinking, out on the town, sitting around solving the world's problems, weekend fun-runs to Hong Kong, and someone to ***** to about the stupid ______ (fill-in the blank). Also when the workload got excessive 7-12's+ for an extended period w/ no time for much socializing, my "boss" arranged for my fiancee to come and stay for ~month, which really helped. For me it was not a problem of work, but how I handled the non-work times that kept me going. (Oh yeah there were a cupla crazy Brits, a Bavarian or 2, and a wacko Belgian that helped too.) Regards and HTH, -LN

mchclay
05-13-16, 10:06 AM
Exercise! It sucks at first, but once you get in the routine your energy levels will increase. It works that way for me anyway plus it is a good stress reliever.

Even just some calisthenics in your hotel room would be good.

roxy1983
06-05-16, 02:38 AM
Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing. I find if I can get some exercise in the morning it definitely helps my brain all day. Is this an option for you? Maybe there is a hotel gym?

acdc01
06-06-16, 03:49 PM
Have you gotten your physical health checked for stuff like a thyroid imbalance or something? I had that once and it really wiped me out.

Are you jet lagged all the time? Most people are tired and don't want to do anything after work days. But weekends should be better unless something else is going on either mentally or physically I think.

Also, is it your school work that's burning you out? I don't think I could do school, work, and have a life. One would have to go.

EuropeanADHD
06-08-16, 11:29 AM
Have you gotten your physical health checked for stuff like a thyroid imbalance or something? I had that once and it really wiped me out.

Are you jet lagged all the time? Most people are tired and don't want to do anything after work days. But weekends should be better unless something else is going on either mentally or physically I think.

Also, is it your school work that's burning you out? I don't think I could do school, work, and have a life. One would have to go.

I think this may have to do with flights. It's a short flight, but takes place twice a week. Each time I feel like sleeping the whole day after flying and only on the third day after flying I feel better.

Now I have 2 weeks of vacation, we'll see how I feel. For now (5. day without work) I'm still super tired.

acdc01
06-08-16, 10:05 PM
I think this may have to do with flights. It's a short flight, but takes place twice a week. Each time I feel like sleeping the whole day after flying and only on the third day after flying I feel better.

Now I have 2 weeks of vacation, we'll see how I feel. For now (5. day without work) I'm still super tired.

Is there a time zone change or are the flights super early/late? Still weird if neither of these happen - weird enough to possibly warrant a physical dr. check in my opinion unless you've already had one.

EuropeanADHD
06-16-16, 02:33 PM
It's about my boss. I can only get some rest when I disconnect myself, don't read emails, etc. Last days, when I did, were ok.

Especially the contact with him is very stressful to me. Shot me, how I hate working with him.

I'll be trying to stick to my working time more than I did before. This will be difficult, given that I'm expected to do unpaid overtime, but I can't continue like this. If I stick to what I'm paid for at least I won't feel taken advantage off.