View Full Version : Ritalin 10x3 or 10x4

Ironklaus
03-15-16, 03:13 PM
My psychiatrist told me to take ritalin 10x3.
I want to take 10x4.

KarmanMonkey
03-15-16, 03:21 PM
If it were me I'd work with the doc. Any time I've gone off script it's ended badly.

At the very least, identify the risks of increasing, and have a way of monitoring the warning signs (not all of which we can trust ourselves to spot)

Keep in mind, too, that if you go from 3 to 4 pills, you'll either end up a week shy every month, or you'll need to get another prescription. And I don't know about Turkey, but here in Canada, most stimulants are highly regulated, and a lot of docs won't work with you if you go off script without their approval.

I'm not saying don't do it, but rather pointing out that there can be some serious consequences. I recall you saying you're a medical student, so there might be career ramifications as well for not following prescribed treatment.

Ironklaus
03-15-16, 07:15 PM
If it were me I'd work with the doc. Any time I've gone off script it's ended badly.

At the very least, identify the risks of increasing, and have a way of monitoring the warning signs (not all of which we can trust ourselves to spot)

Keep in mind, too, that if you go from 3 to 4 pills, you'll either end up a week shy every month, or you'll need to get another prescription. And I don't know about Turkey, but here in Canada, most stimulants are highly regulated, and a lot of docs won't work with you if you go off script without their approval.

I'm not saying don't do it, but rather pointing out that there can be some serious consequences. I recall you saying you're a medical student, so there might be career ramifications as well for not following prescribed treatment.

You are so right. I should be careful of not making things worse for myself while trying to make things work.

It is just that my psychiatrist is very rigid on his way of doing things so I feel hopeless about talking about my problems with him. :(

Little Missy
03-15-16, 09:05 PM
So now you are able to take 10 instead of 5 like you were?

KarmanMonkey
03-16-16, 08:31 AM
With respect to the medications, often docs are rigid because there are regulations to be adhered to. Here there are some medications that need to be tapered slowly not based on the individual's tolerance, but because legally that is how they are required to do so.

Or your doc could just be rigid and stubborn ;-)

Hopefully as you get to know him, you'll know what approaches work best with him; what information he finds most relevant. Since it took you a while to find a doc that supported the ADD diagnosis, it makes it difficult to walk away from this one.

In the meantime, you've found this wonderful group of folks to work with and get support from, and even at less than optimal dose, the ritalin will hopefully have enough of an effect to allow you to find the non-pharmaceutical tools that will help you thrive.

In my opinion and my experience, medications are only about 10% of the picture. 90% of our growth is changes in our approach, attitudes, supports, relationships, and perception of self. I see medication as a tool that makes it easier to develop those other components.

Ironklaus
03-16-16, 09:32 AM
So now you are able to take 10 instead of 5 like you were?

I am trying to take 10 because 5 has little positive effect. But I used to take 5 because even though 10 has more ppsitive effect, it also has more negative effect on my heart on mood. I just dont know what to do.