View Full Version : Waiting 10 minutes for a text

Ironklaus
03-18-16, 02:38 PM
Hi. I am not normally like that but lately there is this one person who takes 10 minutes to text me back. Normally I dont care about this type of thing. So I am suprised of my own behaviour. Do you think I am being illogical or something?

Did you ever have a similar situation?

anonymouslyadd
03-18-16, 02:44 PM
What is your behavior? Do you feel you're being impatient?

CheapestThread
03-18-16, 02:45 PM
It would depends on the person. I have people I get that way about, others not so much. I think it's a normal thing to be that way sometimes. Of course, it depends on how much anxiety/distress/impatience/etc., that it's causing you.

midnightstar
03-18-16, 02:52 PM
Is it a consistent thing with them? By this I mean is it always exactly 10 minutes before they text you back?

Ironklaus
03-18-16, 02:55 PM
Is it a consistent thing with them? By this I mean is it always exactly 10 minutes before they text you back?

It would depends on the person. I have people I get that way about, others not so much. I think it's a normal thing to be that way sometimes. Of course, it depends on how much anxiety/distress/impatience/etc., that it's causing you.

He used to text fast and a lot. When a person doesnt text fast from the beginning I am OK with that. But when a person texts so fast and frequently and I get used to that, if this person suddenly starts to take time and not send texts as much as she or he used to, this kinda irritates me.

Because I get used to peoples rythims.

Pilgrim
03-18-16, 02:58 PM
I think this might be a ' fixing gears ' issue. Have no expectations if possible.

Ironklaus
03-18-16, 03:00 PM
I think this might be a ' fixing gears ' issue. Have no expectations if possible.

What do you mean by fixing gears? Sorry English is not my main language.

Pilgrim
03-18-16, 03:11 PM
This is my opinion. The way I look at things is we have certain expectations of performance.
People are always going to let you down one way or the other. So why disappoint yourself.
That's what I think.

I think telephone calls and texts are a good start.

Gilthranon
03-18-16, 06:03 PM
Hi. I am not normally like that but lately there is this one person who takes 10 minutes to text me back. Normally I dont care about this type of thing. So I am suprised of my own behaviour. Do you think I am being illogical or something?

Did you ever have a similar situation?
Ooooh buddy have I been there. Let me think what my conclusion was. Don"t even think I got one... no I quit txting. Facebook is same issue but I simply give up on them, online I mean.

However someone always with a phone near them, I have a great line, in a playful tone I say 'ah you're one of those phone addicts huh ?' and that always works. The tone is vital or the person get's offended.

Fuzzy12
03-18-16, 06:17 PM
Sometimes when I'm in the mood I'll reply very quickly but mostly it takes me days or weeks and more often than not I just won't text back. :scratch:

KarmanMonkey
03-22-16, 04:28 PM
I am terrible at getting back to people, so I try my best to be forgiving when they take their sweet bloody time getting back to me :)

It's natural to see a change in someone's habits and wonder about the cause; in my experience 99% of the time it has nothing to do with me when someone changes. There's still that 1%, but most of the time it's new demands on the person's time, or they're stressed, or they're dating someone new. It's not at all personal.

If you can ask casually, go for it (e.g. "I've noticed you've been much slower answering texts lately. Is something up?") as long as you can ask without implying his intentions with the change. You'll likely get an answer like "Oh, I've been swamped by all the studying lately; I feel like I'm way behind, so I can't spend as much time by the phone" or "I've noticed that answering texts right away has done a number on my anxiety levels, so I'm teaching myself to slow down."

Also be prepared for the possibility that this is one of those 1% moments; that his response will tell you that his change in habits was trying to tell you something. Unfortunately I don't pick up on subtle sometimes ;)

ginniebean
03-22-16, 06:06 PM
I'm horrific about texting back. You could wait days. I hope it doesn't hurt people.

Little Missy
03-22-16, 06:54 PM
I always figured texting was just for fun and could hang there in limbo forever without having to be answered or read. I mean really, if it is that important press the button and talk to them.

Stevuke79
03-22-16, 07:51 PM
There is something very reassuring about a quick response.

I don't know about 'normal' but I experience what you describe and for me it's my ocd. I'm pretty sure lots of people experience what you describe with particular people in their life.

Little Missy
03-22-16, 08:58 PM
There is something very reassuring about a quick response.

I don't know about 'normal' but I experience what you describe and for me it's my ocd. I'm pretty sure lots of people experience what you describe with particular people in their life.

A quick and witty response is always icing on the cake!

TheGreatKing
03-22-16, 09:20 PM
i personally don't care that much.
i do hate to be bothered constantly with texts from people now that irritates me :P

Stevuke79
03-23-16, 04:10 AM
A quick and witty response is always icing on the cake!

It shows they give a s*** and would like to make a good impression... which feeds our ego a little.

A delay. .. says the opposite ... and maybe deep down we wish they'd work a little harder ;)

sarahsweets
03-23-16, 04:26 AM
I hate that iphone has those read receipts. I turned mine off but when I can see someone read mine and they dont answer back it drives me batty.