View Full Version : Teacher with ADHD -- What Can I Do?

jnorman
03-19-16, 06:35 PM
Im dealing with job related issues. As a teacher my supervior/principal is a bully
Despite 90 % above grade student scores and 8 years of parent satifaction, my evaluations are negative and reflect ADHD related symptoms and distortions of my creative innovative teaching style. Ongoing relentless formal and informal observations are distorted and ambigyous. I accept responsibty for my challenges. However Issues such as late arrival to meetings, paperwork, and disorganization are evident and mentioned in public, private settings and numerous email 2 to 3 times per day. Comparisons to Type A structured teachers is constant. Rumers or comments from other teachers are listed as factual accounts, cultural issues discounted? This harrasment has seriously affected my health, and exaserabated a difficult working relationship. Despite years of medical tx and counseling, my job is in jeopardy. ADHD is ruining my life are their ADA
protections for teachers with ADHD? What about accomdations?

ginniebean
03-19-16, 07:14 PM
Yes there are, consult a lawyer. Problem is, it's tough to fight, and this individual appears determined to get rid of you. Start looking for a new job!

jnorman
03-19-16, 07:43 PM
Thank you!
Leaving is best under the circumstances however i still interested in appropiate accomodations for teachers or other workplace protections for peope with adhd.

Pilgrim
03-19-16, 07:58 PM
I agree with ginni, if this guy has your number I would go straight to him and ask him what his problem is.

If these issues aren't affecting your results then **** him.

That's what I would say.

jnorman
03-19-16, 08:14 PM
Thank for your encouragement.

acdc01
03-20-16, 11:08 AM
Like Ginnybean said, get a disability lawyer (one with good creds) ASAP.

She/he most likely tell you to disclose and ask for accommodations. I wonder if lawyer will go speak to your school directly too. I think the principal would back down once lawsuits are on the table.

You should definitely look for another job though. Principal will despise you no matter what you do. Always sucks to have a boss that despises you.

I suffer from the same thing. Results are good but ADHD symptoms make some of my coworkers dislike me. And sooner or later, I'm going to start performing poorly cause of how miserable the way they treat me feels - I think I'm on the verge of being there already. I'm sorry you're suffering the same thing.

Socaljaxs
03-20-16, 11:30 AM
Yes ADA, is just one of many available to protect your rights, especially if you are being discriminated against. or the organization is not in compliance to ADA laws.

We have several federally-mandated workplace laws in the USA.. your specific state, may also have some specific laws that are to be utilized state-wide..

Question for you;
are you a part of an/ or any teaching union?
are you tenure?
Does your workplace know of your ADHD?

If you are part of a teaching Union, start there..they have resources available, that usually are included as part of your dues. They are there to help you. Or should be there to protect you..

Also start if not done already document everything. Keep track and records of any and all interactions. Any feedback, rumor ext. any distress that comes from this... workplace bulling and harassment, once reported is rarely taken lightly,

I would start Google specific rights for your state and district. Also Google teaching specific legal advice also, 'Potential Legal Protections and Liabilities for Workplace Bullying"

*** I'm not a lawyer or offering any legal advice, just ideas on what may be available to help :grouphug:

Free to Fly
03-21-16, 12:44 PM
Been there done that.....you however are in a school district in a city with some of the most liberal interpretations of ADA law possible. First and foremost, check your EAP, and get your union rep on board. If that doesn't help, pm me, I have a couple of lawyer friends that will get you on the front page of the Seattle Times,...in a good way.

KarmanMonkey
03-22-16, 12:22 PM
It sounds like the bullying you're receiving is focussing on ADHD traits, but is more a reflection of them than you. I don't know if he's specifically targetting those, or that he's choosing to find fault.

Start with documenting. Save the e-mails you've received, somewhere outside the office. Take notes on face to face encounters and those at meetings. Try to keep separate notes for the facts and the emotional impact. Both are equally important, but if they get muddled it's easier for the message to get lost or diluted.

Put some feelers out (subtly) to see if other staff/teachers have had similar experiences with this... Person. If there are more than one of you, it might be easier to both make a complaint and have it taken seriously.

I agree that if you have access to a union, start putting some feelers out as to the process to file a complaint. Also consider having a talk with your principal's boss at the board. Stress that you've been having difficulty coping with the behaviour, but you're concerned that there might be other teachers and staff at the school who have been treated with the same disrespect.

Also do what you can to get support for yourself in the meantime so his words don't change how you feel about yourself. We can often believe the worst of lies if we hear it often enough, especially if there's already a bit of fear or doubt in place. The fact is that you're a good teacher, so focus on that as much as possible.

Maybe have a colleague check your e-mail for you so you don't have to deal with the harsh and harrassing e-mails as often.

I'd bet dollars to donuts this principal has shown this side to others before, or even currently. You have the right to work in an environment free of harrassment.

Here's a link to the canadian standard for mental health accomodation in the workplace:

http://www.workplacestrategiesformentalhealth.com/pdf/Supporting_Employee_Success_EN.pdf

Not that what you're dealing with is a mental health issue, but it's opened my eyes about what sorts of accomodations are easy to implement and will likely make work easier for me.

Hope this helps!

TheGreatKing
03-22-16, 03:26 PM
I always walked away just quit and said peace!

KarmanMonkey
03-23-16, 10:50 AM
I always walked away just quit and said peace!

I always am thinking that if I walk away, it gives that person license to keep acting the way they do.

I loathe confrontation, and would love to get along with everyone, but I know sometimes that's simply not an option.

TheGreatKing
03-23-16, 03:29 PM
I guess it depends if you want to pave the road for others(which is a lot of work)
or just want to leave the stressful situation behind.

finallyfound10
03-29-16, 12:22 AM
I was a teacher so I feel your pain. It never got this bad for as I never had principal who was such an a**.

Good advice from everyone above. Also, there are professional standards of conduct when dealing with "problem teachers" that I'm sure he learned about when getting his principal papers and are endorsed by your district and state BOE. He may very well be in violation of privacy laws for his public remarks and entering into harassment with his email actions.

Good luck!!!